Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As a country, do we prop up this industry like a zombie or do we have a national strategy pivot toward this new energy economy which all indicators show is happening underneath it all?
Doubtful that this admin (or even any other) would have the foresight and/or ability to guide such a pivot.

The bottomline:

Gas car sales growth stagnate.

Electric car sales exponential.

And led by Tesla(~50% of us electric market) which is still ramping production steaming its way to even lower cost, broadest acessable market vehicles that low middle income consumers are anxiously awaiting to buy.

The writing is on the wall. Oil and gas are on the way out. The scary thing is our whole international financial system backbone is built on oil and gas industry.

As a country, do we prop up this industry like a zombie or do we have a national strategy pivot toward this new energy economy which all indicators show is happening underneath it all?

Under this administration? Don't hold your breath for the latter.

It seems like that may be happening already. IIRC growth in the big cities has slowed right? If I still lived in DC I'd be either paying rent or struggling with a crazy mortgage.

I believe what is happening right now in the U.S. is internal migration of young people from cities with crazy real-estate prices, to cities with lower cost of living: Colorado (Denver area), Texas (Austin, Houston, Denver areas).

If you check the county level maps you'll see that even in the cheap cost of living states the rural counties are depopulating:

(Caveat: these are 2010-2014 trends, i.e. ~4 years old. Some of the trends have changed, although not significantly.)

Note that with the exception of ridiculously high cost of living super-city-centers, even relatively high cost of living city centers are registering population growth: the self-reinforcing cycle of jobs creating prosperity which is creating higher
population density which improves economic efficiency, which attracts more young people, etc.

A good example is California:

Note how even the Bay area and San Diego metropolitan area is registering growth, despite very high housing prices - while LA is already showing signs of slowdown.

The biggest loser of this process is the Rust Belt and Michigan in particular:

Ohio is struggling too, with the exception of the Columbus area that is seeing population growth:

Checking those maps will explain a lot about the rise of Trump politics and U.S. politics in particular:
  • explains why Texas has turned purple in 2018 and could turn blue in 2020 and could be more and more blue from there on, like California is today,
  • it also explains why Kentucky, rather unexpectedly, turned blue in a number of key areas.
  • Democratic-leaning demographies are moving into urban counties, making rural areas redder and urban areas bluer. (Often these migratory patterns are not properly re-weighted through redistricting, which process was ~80% controlled by Republicans in the last ~20 years, making "natural looking" gerrymandering easier.)
These demographic trends, which are unstoppable like the tide, are also predicting a cataclysmic event in the near future (2020 or 2024), when Democrats will rise to power on all levels of the federal government and won't lose it for 10-20 years, until the Republican party gets rid of the racist aspects of its politics and remakes itself as a party not based in resisting change/progress.

Donald J. Trump on Twitter

Very disappointed with General Motors and their CEO, Mary Barra, for closing plants in Ohio, Michigan and Maryland. Nothing being closed in Mexico & China. The U.S. saved General Motors, and this is the THANKS we get! We are now looking at cutting all @GM subsidies, including....

Donald J. Trump on Twitter

....for electric cars. General Motors made a big China bet years ago when they built plants there (and in Mexico) - don’t think that bet is going to pay off. I am here to protect America’s Workers!

Hmm makes me think he might try to get something attached to Heller’s EV bill to exclude foreign-built cars. If he wanted to punish anyone making EVs elsewhere and importing them, that’d be the way to do it. Might even get it past the Dems in the house.

• Informative
Reactions: shrspeedblade
Hmm makes me think he might try to get something attached to Heller’s EV bill to exclude foreign-built cars. If he wanted to punish anyone making EVs elsewhere and importing them, that’d be the way to do it. Might even get it past the Dems in the house.
OK, sure, but GM still makes the Bolt in the US and I don't know of any imported GM electric cars I can buy.

Reactions: UncaNed
The bottomline:

Gas car sales growth stagnate.

Electric car sales exponential.

And led by Tesla(~50% of us electric market) which is still ramping production steaming its way to even lower cost, broadest acessable market vehicles that low middle income consumers are anxiously awaiting to buy.

The writing is on the wall. Oil and gas are on the way out. The scary thing is our whole international financial system backbone is built on oil and gas industry.

The Chinese, in a similar situation, would heap on the subsidies, tax breaks, cut through red tape and do whatever it takes to arrange for GM or Tesla to replace those dying factories with cutting edge electric auto manufacturing plants lickety-split.

My .02: this is more red meat for Trump's base, to which EVs are bad.

OK, sure, but GM still makes the Bolt in the US and I don't know of any imported GM electric cars I can buy.

This all bluster, Trump pandering to his base in the rust belt. Those jobs are gone, just like GM's access to the Federal EV Tax credit beginning in 2019 Q2.

Funny that's when GM ceases production of the Volt, wot?

P.S. Do you think Trump knows it's the new (Dem) House that passes tax law, not the Executive Branch?

Assuming anybody makes it there in a functioning state after being exposed to space radiation. I haven't heard that it's been solved. But still 7-10 years to go per Musk.
I'm not sure what isn't solved. Its been a decade or three, so the numbers are fuzzy, but what I remember is that it hinges on having enough mass to absorb the radiation. And excess mass is not good for rockets. Especially when attempting to leave a gravity well.

No citations unfortunately, but I also recall that we've been lucky so far that astronauts have been in either earth or moon shadow when a nice burst of solar radiation passes by. Which seems unlikely on a long trip to Mars given their relative frequency.

Relevance to market action? Hmm... Musk plans on departing to Mars on the Starship nee BFR which is likely to permanently remove him from any position in his companies?

Status
Not open for further replies.