Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The SEC sent out rule review requests last week. Some of the reviews deal with short selling -- would any of these rule changes, if implemented, affect the way TSLA is traded?

There are also several rule reviews requested related to short-selling and rules preventing naked short selling. For example, Regulation M, “Anti-Manipulation Rules Concerning Securities Offerings”, is intended to protect the independent pricing mechanism of the securities market so that IPO offering prices result from “the natural forces of supply and demand” and are not impacted by market manipulation.

One of the rules in this group is concerned with short selling that may artificially depress market prices and lead to lower than anticipated offering prices, reducing the proceeds from the IPO.

Another short-selling related rule on the list created an antifraud provision under federal securities laws to address fraud that occurs when traders associated with “naked” short selling deceive others about their intention or ability to deliver securities in time for settlement and fail to deliver securities by settlement date.

Full article here.

Hot damn! This is an electric SUV!

A.-Rivian_R1S_Front-4000x3000-e1543345511517.jpg

No sissy C pillar. No hugging the ground sedan-like.

Rivian Debuts R1S Electric SUV: Seats 7, Packs 180-kWh Battery

I would have thought if Tesla at some stage of the M3 ramp was as close as 8 weeks to "death", the amount of cash on hand reported during one of the quarterly reports would have shown clear evidence the cash burn was drawing down available cash that fast. It seems as if Elon is using some definition of "death" that is not consistent with the financial options which would still have been available had fixing the ramp issues taken a few months longer than they did.

Given what Elon has previously said about the impact the ramp work had on his physical and mental well being, perhaps he was speaking of himself and the company as one in the same? Implying that he could not have survived more than another month or two at the pace he was working. As deeply involved in working through the many problems as Elon was, he may feel if he had not been able to continue, the company would have unraveled and failed. Who knows? Perhaps he is right about that. The options that Phil L. mentioned are surely open with Musk leading the company. But I'm not sure how Tesla raising additional capital might have gone, if Musk was not able to lead the company for some period of time.

LOL! Indeed, this Administration, and every preceding one, has done their level best to FIGHT such a pivot.

NO MATTER! EVs will RULE!

CH3ERS!
I think we are rapidly approaching a situation like what was happening when we when off the gold standard completely and switched to the petroleum backed money system(1970s). It’s a dilemma of too big too fail as some might call it.

The resistance to change of financial system is much stronger then it was leaving the gold standard, and the consequences much larger as the US dollar is the global default currency.

This is a real politik situation that party politics are irrelevant.

As oil and gas value drops and sustains low value regardless of restrained or unrestrained production output, the dollar will also be low valued. This occurs as energy sources change, leading to our industrial equipment amd logistical systems run off these new energy sources. The value of those new energy sources grow as oil and gas decline.

A vast majority of all new energy capacity added is coming from sustainable energy, not fossil fuels. New vehicle purchase growth is exponential in electric cars, while gasoline cars is declining.

So the question for all of us is how will we transition as a nation (and globe) to this inevitable reality of a new energy economy without a complete meltdown of the global financial system? What happens to those nations whose significant portions of GDP come from oil and gas sales?

Last edited:
Reactions: Thumper and neroden
LOL! You need to stop reading InfoWars

I didn't realize the Washington Post changed their name: https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...ce8a2a2a679_story.html?utm_term=.5c4b9f401040

"Perhaps not for the limos, but Trump has a handful of elite foreign cars sprinkled around his various properties, according to his campaign." ... "Rounding out the fleet are two made in the USA: a Cadillac Escalade and a Tesla."

I accept your apology for assuming I read Infowars.

I think we are rapidly approaching a situation like what was happening when we when off the gold standard completely and switched to the petroleum backed money system(1970s). It’s a dilemma of too big too fail as some might call it.

The resistance to change of financial system is much stronger then it was leaving the gold standard, and the consequences much larger as the US dollar is the global default currency.

As oil and gas value drops and sustains low value regardless of restrained or unrestrained production output, the dollar will also be low valued. This occurs as energy sources change, leading to our industrial equipment amd logistical systems run off these new energy sources. The value of those new energy sources grow as oil and gas decline.

A vast majority of all new energy capacity added is coming from sustainable energy, not fossil fuels. New vehicle purchase growth is exponential in electric cars, while gasoline cars is declining.

So the question for all of us is how will we transition as a nation (and globe) to this inevitable reality of a new energy economy without a complete meltdown of the global financial system?

Time to change to battery backed money system

So the question for all of us is how will we transition as a nation (and globe) to this inevitable reality of a new energy economy without a complete meltdown of the global financial system?
This is truly a problem.

I didn't realize the Washington Post changed their name: https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...ce8a2a2a679_story.html?utm_term=.5c4b9f401040

"Perhaps not for the limos, but Trump has a handful of elite foreign cars sprinkled around his various properties, according to his campaign." ... "Rounding out the fleet are two made in the USA: a Cadillac Escalade and a Tesla."

I accept your apology for assuming I read Infowars.
But to lodgers point it would surprise me if he knew how to plug it in.

And his action on climate change speak a lot louder than any single car he probably doesn't remember he even had.

Donald J. Trump on Twitter

Very disappointed with General Motors and their CEO, Mary Barra, for closing plants in Ohio, Michigan and Maryland. Nothing being closed in Mexico & China. The U.S. saved General Motors, and this is the THANKS we get! We are now looking at cutting all @GM subsidies, including....

....for electric cars. General Motors made a big China bet years ago when they built plants there (and in Mexico) - don’t think that bet is going to pay off. I am here to protect America’s Workers!

Never thought that would happen, but that feels right and he also has the balls to just do it.

And what's with our super-bears at GS? Did they went ludicrous and think about raising their PT some day? (Whatever they had today, i want it, too!)

What is happening everywhere? Tesla was talked down to evil and death this year and out of the sudden they're the new messiah (word spreads from all sides)! Some WS people need more time to adapt, but thankfully don't look back and mastered the 180. These market guys are unbelievable.

Feels like Christmas is going to be outstanding.

Last edited:

Very disappointed with General Motors and their CEO, Mary Barra, for closing plants in Ohio, Michigan and Maryland. Nothing being closed in Mexico & China. The U.S. saved General Motors, and this is the THANKS we get! We are now looking at cutting all @GM subsidies, including....

....for electric cars. General Motors made a big China bet years ago when they built plants there (and in Mexico) - don’t think that bet is going to pay off. I am here to protect America’s Workers!
This is where my disdain comes in for the way he acts like a toddler. Here he posts complaining about a US company instead of promoting a US company (Tesla). If he really wants to get back a GM, he would start talking up Tesla......which would be a win for the company and the EV revolution.

Well the gradual shift in the media narrative predicted to follow Q3 EC has advanced once again. This time its Market Watch (though not Claudia Assis, I doubt she could bring herself to write something like this). I thought it was worth a read and hence the link.
But an electric vehicle is a different proposition, with a different manufacturing process, different parts, a different sales and education approach and different supporting infrastructure.
I take "supporting infrastructure" to be (at least in part) a reference to the dealership networks. Those provide sales and maintenance, both traditionally important. But if it hadn't been obvious before hand, Amazon showed that an online store front was perfectly acceptable. For an EV a more important "supporting infrastructure" would be charging locations.

Yeah, yeah, nothing new. But the media is catching on.

Tesla will overrun traditional car companies because they still aren’t moving fast enough

[edited for mixed quoting]

Phil LeBeau has a good point that it seems inconceivable that Tesla would have been unable to raise capital anywhere.

However, when the discussion came to the short sellers being so vocal regarding Tesla's cash burn and inability to raise capital, he and the CNBC hosts failed to state the obvious that pushing this narrative in the media in itself was making it difficult for Tesla to raise capital.

In a not very distant future when Tesla is recognized as the single most important factor in averting climatic apocalypse and has passed trillion dollar valuation, I expect a book and a film detailing how malicious short sellers such as Jim Chanos were actively trying to bring about Tesla's bankruptcy with their self-fulfilling prophecy.

Entertaining and educative like the Big Short, except this time the few, smart short sellers are the bad guys.

Last edited:
Tesla Adds Warehouses In Lathrop, California, To Relieve Pressure At Its Fremont Factory | CleanTechnica

I'm surprised nobody talks about Lathrop, or did I miss it? The more I think about it, the more I think it's not a distribution centre, but a factory. Maybe only general assembly?

Lathrop was discussed more years ago when it first opened. They moved some stuff from Fremont to Lathrop to free up room at Fremont. Off the top of my head, aluminum casting was one of the processes that was moved, along w/ part storage.

• Informative
Reactions: humbaba
Status
Not open for further replies.