Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Weekend OT
My gut reaction to the 60 minutes segment was neutral. Nice to see Elon being Elon. As a fanboy, I was not pleased with the rehashing of old "controversy". I was not pleased with the childhood trauma push by Leslie. Elon handled it well and honestly.
There was plenty of ammo for FUD but those groups just make s%@t up anyway.
IMHO Macros will be more important than anything else tomorrow.
The long-term Tesla horizon looks quite bright (and solar powered).

Seems like a new video with Jerome. I wonder if this was intended for the main interview, but cut, or if there will be another segment, or if this is from earlier and recycled... Seems pretty recent though.

Read this comment:
"Compare face mimics from Elon Musk, and this guy. They are the same. Please anyone check this."

He's actually right lmao

Last edited:

Twitter comments about this clip are remarkable tonight. Right out of the peanut gallery. A lot of people incl lawyers and journalists spewing nonsensical theories about Musk, his mental state, his attitude of entitlement, and whatnot. The bias and dislike for him based on nothing but ignorance and no doubt a lot of FUD is incredible.

Elon is tweeting right now, at a pretty quick pace. He seems really hyped about FSD/Nav on AP
Screen-Shot-2018-12-09-at-11-27-19-AM.png

Screen-Shot-2018-12-09-at-11-33-18-AM.png
Who knows if it is possible to recognize stationary objects at high speed now?

• Funny
Reactions: wipster
Are all windows dressed?

Have trouble seeing the price/demand go down significantly before January. It is one of the few stocks up for the year and mutual fund folks want to look like they picked a winner, even if their numbers don't support it. The goal is to freeze investors. The dichotomy between a good list and bad numbers can confuse/freeze some fund investors.

I'm sure it does, but it's one of those things that needs to be 100% perfect before being released to the public : imagine the car brutally stopping on a busy highway traveling at 80 mph because it "misread" a certain object/situation...
Or if someone maliciously stuck a stop sign on the side of an Interstate highway...

OT

500 kWh is excessive I think - 4+ tons for the battery alone? 200 kWh sounds high enough to me.

Yeah, that's too much. Tesla current bty tech is 280WHr/Kg, so a 200 KWh bty today would weigh about 715 Kg or 1,575 lbs which is more managable for a full-size pickup truck.

Tesla's bty roadmap predicts 7% improvement per year, so in 5 years that bty will be 400 Whr/Kg and weigh just 500 Kg (1,125 lbs). That's about the same weight as today's S/X 100 KWh pack.

Now we're gettin' somewhere :D

Cheers!

Last edited:
OT

Yeah, that's too much. Tesla current bty tech is 280WHr/Kg, so a 200 KWh bty today would weigh about 715 Kg or 1,575 lbs which is more managable for a full-size pickup truck.

Tesla's bty roadmap predicts 7% improvement per year, so in 5 years that bty will be 400 Whr/Kg and weigh just 500 Kg (1,125 lbs). That's about the same weight as today's S/X 100 KWh pack.

Cheers!
You could put dual independently airsprung axles on the rear with a motor at each... ain't nothin' stopping that puppy!

OT

I'm too ignorant on the subject to offer much but why does it have to be water that's used? Isn't there another coolant analogous to ethylene glycol that has a much higher boiling point that might work?

If it is being used as a heat blocker vs as a transfer medium, then the boiling point is not as important as the specific heat (which gets worse with Glycol (negative impact on radiant floor heating systems)). Getting to the volume expansion due to steam may be part of the plan.

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Yeah that segment pretty much had no new info. Disappointing and almost boring as I was hoping for something fresh.

Instead it was 10 minutes of rehashing the last year’s info with pessimistic questions. It was a yawner for me.

Perhaps for people who have paid as much attention to Elon/Tesla as we have. For those who've only seen mainstream media deep depictions of Elon/Tesla, I suspect the very personal, very heartfelt moments re painful experiences in his past, his workforce and his own working their asses off the real story being an American success story, and, finally, his directly pointing to how outrageous and relentless the flow of garbage stories have been, may move the dial in many people's minds. The look on Elon's face, in his eyes, and his words might move many to step back some from swallowing without reflection the campaign so much of the media has run to sell a very sharp, false, unflattering distaste for Elon and Tesla.

OT
If it is being used as a heat blocker vs as a transfer medium, then the boiling point is not as important as the specific heat (which gets worse with Glycol (negative impact on radiant floor heating systems)). Getting to the volume expansion due to steam may be part of the plan.
Copacetic, didn't mean glycol specifically, just as an example to ask is water the only alternative? As I said, I'm just ignorant so I'll go back into my hole and watch 60 Minutes now... Leslie looks pretty good for a woman in her 70's!

OT

Cheers!

Is that 280Wh/kg at cell or pack level?

If it's as pack level, your 715Kg is pessimistic. Not all of the non-cell elements of the pack would double in mass, just because the mass of the cells doubled. Some components would even be the exact same, whether for a 100kWh or a 200kWh pack. The external structure would not double, because surface area varies with square of length while volume varies with the cube of length. That's why the gigafactory is huge. The bigger it is, the lower the ratio of surface to volume (building cost to productive output). A building with 4 times as much surface area has 8 times the volume. A battery pack with 4 times as much surface area material has 8 times as much room for cells.

Status
Not open for further replies.