Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
China consumers rating EVs survey. Tesla on top.

Obviously subjective but it shows why demand in China is/ will be high.

(...) Recently, Guangzhou (China) Consumer Council released the “Guangzhou New Energy Vehicle Consumption Survey Report” The contents of the “Report” survey mainly focus on five aspects of car purchase behavior, use status, vehicle evaluation, construction of charging facilities and policy evaluation of new energy vehicles.

(...) According to the “Report”, the surveyed car owners believe that the current new energy vehicles are generally cost-effective, and the overall cost-effectiveness rating for new energy vehicles is 3.37 (out of 5). Among them, Tesla ranked first, 3.73 points, higher than other brands; BAIC second, 3.40 points; BYD, Dongfeng (DFMC) Motor, Geely Automobile were 3.39 points, 3.33 points and 3.31 points respectively (...)

https://teslatopinfo.com/2018/12/10...u-china-new-energy-consumption-survey-report/

2.jpg

TeslaTopInfo on Twitter

Well that piece isn't really what I would call reporting at all. To me, reporting is relaying some piece of news -- in which case it definitely should be accurate and unbiased, and the accuracy and bias can be measured.

But that is more journalism, its making a point. In this case the point is "what has changed" over the last decade wrt electric cars. It sets that up at the beginning (what was) moves to the present (what is) and lets that say for them what has changed. And it doesn't look good for Bob Lulz.

1. Tesla's original mission: accelerate the move to electric
  2. Bob Lulz on the future: the Volt & "stake his 'reputation' on that"
  3. CEO's are "rah rah" and claim their company is doing well while it is sinking
  4. Musk is honest
  5. Past Musk said Tesla most likely fail, present Musk said Tesla most likely succeed
At the end they emphasize Musk's vision for Tesla (accelerate adoption of EV) and point to Bob Lulz's capitulation (Volt being cancelled). What they are saying is that Tesla has already succeeded: they imply that EV has won out over the hybrid.

If I were Bob Lulz I'd be seething. The implication is that he's dishonest (normal for a CEO per the report, but still) and lost. If I were Musk I'd be at least somewhat happy. The outright statement is that he is a rare CEO: honest. And the implication is that he has already succeeded with Tesla so any future accomplishments are icing on the cake.

And it is implicit that his statement about Tesla continuing as a company is to be taken seriously -- this is no "rah rah" lying CEO, and when he thought Tesla most likely wouldn't survive he still led it to success. Now that is a desirable CEO profile.

I was referring to the last statement of “we don’t think they will” in regards to Tesla. (May not be the exact quote. Didn’t rewatch the video.)

Reactions: Jovian
"We don't think so?"

I did not watch the entire interview, but did they show this?

View attachment 359775

The first image shows scale.

View attachment 359776

This second image shows economies of scale through standardization.

Yes. The “we don’t think so.” Seemed uncalled for. But if they are wrong again in 10 years like they were 10 years ago, that’s egg on their face. I wish they would have shown Lutz saying Tesla is heading for the graveyard. Then right after that show the Volt discontinued and the Model 3 selling like crazy.

Yes. The “we don’t think so.” Seemed uncalled for. But if they are wrong again in 10 years like they were 10 years ago, that’s egg on their face. I wish they would have shown Lutz saying Tesla is heading for the graveyard. Then right after that show the Volt discontinued and the Model 3 selling like crazy.
Why let facts get in the way of a "good" story?

I wonder if these dumb predictions might be a positive things for Tesla: less and less people trust the mainstream media for these kinds of things, so it's like an invitation to question their position: but if Tesla can't win, why are they winning now? Why would they stop winning after they proved everyone wrong?

People may finally want to cheer for the underdog, when they have enough information to make up their own mind. Is the CEO a good person at heart? Check. Does he mean business? Check. Are the car sex? Check. Are they better than ICE now? It sure seems so. etc.

Last edited:
Any news ? TSLA down to 356 or is this MMA ? NASDAQ down too.

No $TSLA news that I know of: the drop from $364 to $356 was following a drop on NASDAQ, which is jittery due to the Brexit cluster-sugar getting more apparent to Britisch politicians too.

(Careful, Brexit is going to get much worse before it can get better. Both "no EU deal" and "EU deal" are a train wreck, the latter simply in slow motion. The real solution would be Remain via Article 50 withdrawal, but hardliners have a hold on the process, at the moment.)

Last edited:
This interview was better than the hit piece that was aired on 60 minutes.

I was surprised that Jerome didn’t point out that Elon’s role there was not a cheerleader, but primarily a problem solver. My understanding is that he can go to a process that has the engineers stumped, and almost immediately figure out a solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.