Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It will hurt their ice business by cannibalizing their profitable models with new EVs that are not profitable. The traditional autos will admit that it takes 6 years to build a completely new model from the ground up. The dealers they rely also hate EVs because they don't require much maintenance. Unless they build them to fail like they do their ice vehicles. It's funny how they start to fall apart as soon as the warranty runs out. Charging networks are but cheap and they are required, not optional. ...

1) Cannibalization: Yes. Daimler already warned investors that, during the first years of EV production, their EBIT margin may shrink to 7% or 8% from currently ~9.5%. Here is hope they'll survive with only $10-12 billion profit a year. I mean, looking at worldwide sales they are building the best selling luxury sedan (and a lot more models except that certain sedan) That may help.

2) Timeframe: VW started to develop their MEB in 2015. The first cars will hit the market in early 2020. It's not like they start now and cars will arrive in 2024 or later.

3) Investors: Some seem sceptical but most are aware that those steps are necessary to compete with the upstarts, meet emission targets and regulations. Also: See 1)

4) CapEx: With an equipment lifetime of maybe 10 years and owning dozens of factories, you have to retool some each year. Usually they do not have to burn them down and rebuild them from scratch. One might assume the drive train and battery pack could be major hurdles and the other stuff stays mostly the same.

5) Battery sourcing: Teslas known purchase obligations with Panasonic until 2022 are about $15 billion. We already know that VW sourced batteries for $25 billion and plans for another $30-40 billion until 2025. I do not know much about other manufacturers, which could be because ...
  1. They didn't announce them yet.
  2. They planned investements of a few billions and simply forgot about the batteries.
  3. They are not able to buy any, despite billions of cash, while Tesla has no problem at all to source 150 GWh.
  4. They all lied and won't build any EVs.
Personally i'd go with option 1.

6) Battery performance: Why do you assume the new battery packs in cars like the I-Pace, E-Tron or the newer Leafs are performing worse? Is there any provable advantage Tesla has? That is, if we leave aside all the assumptions about the amazing things Jeff Dahn is supposed to have done. IP on Panasonics side will probably be used for whomever they produce cells.

7) Dealerships: I ... uhm .... *mumbles* ... i agree. The current dealership structure may become more of a problem.

Tesla will be sustainably profitable starting in 3Q18, as predicted in July of 2017.

Tesla's return on invested capital is extremely high, and this fact will reflect on the bottom-line in the coming quarters.

Question: If you calculate ROIC as "(Net Income - Dividends) / Total Capital" and you have always had a negative net income, how can your ROIC be extremely high? Is there another definition that i'm not aware of? Are you talking about a certain part of Teslas business or are you talking about potential future ROIC? I'm a bit lost with this fact.

Return On Invested Capital - ROIC

Question: If you calculate ROIC as "(Net Income - Dividends) / Total Capital" and you have always had a negative net income, how can your ROIC be extremely high? Is there another definition that i'm not aware of? Are you talking about a certain part of Teslas business or are you talking about potential future ROIC? I'm a bit lost with this fact.
This debating tactic is called "begging the question". The answer, of course, it not to have a negative net income in the future. Which they've said they won't. It's OK to be a bear with good arguments, but I recommend not using false arguments, a moderator might be watching.

Thank you for your question.

Traditional valuation methods and metrics do not work when analyzing Tesla's fundamentals, simply because Tesla is not run traditionally. What I mean by this is that, because majority of Tesla's OpEx and CapEx is geared towards generating hyper-growth in the next decade, the analyst MUST dig deeper than the equation you noted and critically think through all pieces, both as they relate to historical results and future projections, along with a dose of conservatism.

The most applicable and simple lens I use when I think of Tesla's ROIC is how much in total Tesla will have spent building its Gigafactory and how much annual gross profits Gigafactory will allow Model 3, Powerwall and Powerpack generate at full capacity by 2020. My estimate is 150 to 250 percent, with the most important variable being the Model 3 gross margin assumption at full capacity.

It is crucial to also note that Tesla's OpEx has high degree of operating leverage, meaning the majority of future growth in gross profits will drop straight to net income. This is why focusing on contribution and gross profits (smoothed throughout several quarters) at this early stage of Tesla's life cycle is more informative than any other financial statement line item.

With that general framework in mind, everyone should do their own calculation using their own assumptions.

Last edited:
This debating tactic is called "begging the question". The answer, of course, it not to have a negative net income in the future. Which they've said they won't. It's OK to be a bear with good arguments, but I recommend not using false arguments, a moderator might be watching.

I was asking about the statement "Tesla's return on invested capital is extremely high, and this fact will reflect on the bottom-line in the coming quarters.". I'm neither very sure about english tenses nor terms used in accounting, that's why i asked if ValueAnalyst meant 'will be' extremely high or i misunderstood the definition of ROIC. Thanks for clarifying that. See, that didn't hurt much.

@ValueAnalyst: Thanks for elaborating.

6) Battery performance: Why do you assume the new battery packs in cars like the I-Pace, E-Tron or the newer Leafs are performing worse? Is there any provable advantage Tesla has? That is, if we leave aside all the assumptions about the amazing things Jeff Dahn is supposed to have done. IP on Panasonics side will probably be used for whomever they produce cells.

7) Dealerships: I ... uhm .... *mumbles* ... i agree. The current dealership structure may become more of a problem.
Audi themselves have admitted that their performance is worse than initially stated. When you go from Powerpoint presentations into the real world, somehow it's not so easy...

Audi confirms more ‘realistic’ range of ~250 miles for the e-tron quattro, puts car in a Faraday cage

And yes, putting your car in a Faraday cage looks cool, but is a bit distracting in regards to their offer.

Last edited:
@SunCatcher: I fail to see, how building a less efficient car translates to a worse battery performance. If i install a Model S battery as wall system, range will drop to ~0 miles and the pack is still perfectly fine. ;-)
250 mile range is worse than the 310 mile range that Audi had been advertising since the launch of the concept car. That's what I was saying. In other words, Audi made it sound like their battery was better, by a significant margin, when real world results showed that it is not. Some of these legacy automakers seem to still have a thing about honesty. Hard to shake old habits I guess.

Audi confirms more ‘realistic’ range of ~250 miles for the e-tron quattro, puts car in a Faraday cage

1) Cannibalization: Yes. Daimler already warned investors that, during the first years of EV production, their EBIT margin may shrink to 7% or 8% from currently ~9.5%. Here is hope they'll survive with only $10-12 billion profit a year. I mean, looking at worldwide sales they are building the best selling luxury sedan (and a lot more models except that certain sedan) That may help.

Yeah at 10,000-20,000 cars per year. Wait until its 100,000+. It wont be because they would put themselves out of business. So you will have to wait a long time. Just think about it this. How many execs come out and say the truth when it comes to lowering margins. They give the best case scenario and hope for the best.

2) Timeframe: VW started to develop their MEB in 2015. The first cars will hit the market in early 2020. It's not like they start now and cars will arrive in 2024 or later.

They already have the eGolf. Its a good car. Again, they will hit the market with low tens of thousands of units and those buyers will be at a loss of a very profitable ice variant.

3) Investors: Some seem sceptical but most are aware that those steps are necessary to compete with the upstarts, meet emission targets and regulations. Also: See 1)

Yeah, they are being forced to come up with Compelling EVs or they will have major issues. Thats what im saying. They are not doing it because they are innovative. I 100% believe that VW and Daimler and BMW could make a better EV then Tesla, but they wont. Because they would put themselves out of business. They also have an issue with volume because of batteries. The gap between what Tesla can do and what BMW or Daimler can do in the 35k+ market is shrinking. While the difference between what Tesla can do in EVs and what those companies can do is widening.

4) CapEx: With an equipment lifetime of maybe 10 years and owning dozens of factories, you have to retool some each year. Usually they do not have to burn them down and rebuild them from scratch. One might assume the drive train and battery pack could be major hurdles and the other stuff stays mostly the same.

Those are not major hurdles. The hurdle is what I have already explained. They could do it, they have no will to do it. The better they do, the worse it is for them short term. They are not reacting like they should be to be secure their long term health and they are focused on Q over Q growth and cost cutting, when they should be focused on long term expansion into EVs. They are going to screw around and let Tesla take the top 10% of the market, you know the one where 80% of their profits come from.

5) Battery sourcing: Teslas known purchase obligations with Panasonic until 2022 are about $15 billion. We already know that VW sourced batteries for $25 billion and plans for another $30-40 billion until 2025. I do not know much about other manufacturers, which could be because ...
  2. They planned investements of a few billions and simply forgot about the batteries.
  3. They are not able to buy any, despite billions of cash, while Tesla has no problem at all to source 150 GWh.
Personally i'd go with option 1.

You cannot source this level of batteries. The batteries are an integral part of the design and operation of the vehicle. Very few companies know how to make batteries for cars and even fewer do it well. Think Nissan leaf with massive batter degradation. The other issue is that to keep cost down you need scale. Its impossible without scale. Massive scale. This is why the Semi even exists. Its about batter scale. Each semi will use 10x the batteries of each model 3. At 100,000 semis, thats a million sedans or SUVs. You dont get the scale without the demand, so Tesla is making their own demand and multiplying by 10.

Eventually you will be correct and batter manufactures will catch up and scale will be there, but not until hundreds of models are being built at more then 10k per year, which every magical 2020 car is targeting I cant wait until 2020 so I can laugh at them as they look to compete against the 2013 model S.

You under estimate the problem. It will literally be illegal for the manufactures to fix. so they will have to pay off the dealers to get good service. They have zero choice aside from bankruptcy to get out of franchise dealership agreements. Then they have to fight every states laws, but the good news for them is Tesla will have half of them beat for them and there wont be any dealers to stand up to them with lobbyists, because they will all be out of business. I am happy to hear how you think they might solve that problem otherwise.

None of that matters at this point. As long as Tesla grows at 50%+ for the next decade, which they have a product roadmap that will easily allow that. The market will fund them and they will eventually turn huge profits. Anyone who is investing in Tesla for short term profits is silly and sad.

Look if Tesla was not dominating the segments they were in, I would not be typing this. They are growing quickly and where they have products, those products are absolutely thriving, if not dominating. They are not just creating products people like, they are creating products that people feel like they cannot live without. They do not have a spend a nickle on advertising and marketing. Just take a look at what the big 3 spend on advertising. Each of them spend more then Tesla spends on Capex. As time goes by, they will have to spend more, not less. At 200,000 cars a year right now, at 50% YoY growth, they are less then 4 years from passing BMW in volume and that includes mini coopers and 1/2 series. At 5 years, they start to catch Daimler and the semi is a huge contributor. I honestly think growth will slow at that point and it will be about owning the top end of the market in terms of margins. Some thing Tesla will make 10 and 20 million cars a year. I am not sure that matters. The mission will be done at that point because every manufacture that survives will have to have changed over to EVs in ernest and they will do a better job at building mass market, low margin cars. China will do that great at that as well.

Thanks for posting your arguments for the incumbents. Some good points for sure. Here are my counter-arguments.

1) Cannibalization: Yes. Daimler already warned investors that, during the first years of EV production, their EBIT margin may shrink to 7% or 8% from currently ~9.5%. Here is hope they'll survive with only $10-12 billion profit a year. I mean, looking at worldwide sales they are building the best selling luxury sedan (and a lot more models except that certain sedan) That may help. It seems to me that Daimler is in a better position than many of the other incumbents. However, while they get busy shrinking their profits for years, as you've already pointed out, Tesla will only be growing theirs each year. Tesla will eventually need to show that they can be profitable but at this point investors are comfortable paying for massive growth in lieu of profits. It would be short-sighted to focus on profits right now at the cost of growth, but there is obviously a balance to strike there at some point.

2) Timeframe: VW started to develop their MEB in 2015. The first cars will hit the market in early 2020. It's not like they start now and cars will arrive in 2024 or later. The first cars may hit in 2020 but at a production level that is miniscule comparatively. Essentially, they will be putting their toes into the water while Tesla is swimming laps, faster and faster, around them. This is where the competition argument from bears seems insanely optimistic. When will actual high volume production come at a level that could actually affect Tesla's sales? This likely means somewhere around 500,000+ per year. 2024? At this point, as far as I know, none of the incumbents are planning that level of production for the foreseeable future. Where will Tesla be at in 6 years?

4) CapEx: With an equipment lifetime of maybe 10 years and owning dozens of factories, you have to retool some each year. Usually they do not have to burn them down and rebuild them from scratch. One might assume the drive train and battery pack could be major hurdles and the other stuff stays mostly the same. Valid points. I personally don't understand the bull argument that the incumbents will struggle to convert over to being able to produce BEVs. There is a cost and a time factor, but they should be able to do it. These are still cars and they do know how to mass produce cars.

Personally i'd go with option 1. This falls back to the production timeline for mass production of BEVs. If it's 2024+, as it appears to be, then battery production will probably have time to catch up. If they want to mass produce BEVs before then, which none appear to, then there is a battery supply limitation.

6) Battery performance: Why do you assume the new battery packs in cars like the I-Pace, E-Tron or the newer Leafs are performing worse? Is there any provable advantage Tesla has? That is, if we leave aside all the assumptions about the amazing things Jeff Dahn is supposed to have done. IP on Panasonics side will probably be used for whomever they produce cells. Tesla has already become known for their battery performance, with degradation recently shown to be superior to the competition. I don't think this is debatable currently. Now, part of the reason is because there isn't much competition there. Check back in 5 or 6 years and perhaps there is no longer an edge in battery technology for Tesla. However, Tesla has poured billions of dollars and years of development into battery production via the GF. It is reasonable to expect them to achieve highly efficient production of batteries. We have not definitively seen that yet, but Tesla should be able to achieve that over the next couple of years, well before mass production of BEVs from other car companies.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.