Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted this in the general forum today, but it may bear repeating here:

Inspiration by the UAW is likely behind many of these reports of relatively unnoteworthy Tesla workplace incidents by CNBC's Kolodny and Bloomberg's Hull. CNBC TV today announced a "Market Flash" about the California OSHA investigating safety at the Fremont plant, without mention that it involved an injured worker of an independent contractor performing a procedure developed by the contractor and under its supervision. The contractor reported the injury to the state, apparently leaving Tesla feeling it was unnecessary to also do so. At worst, we're talking about a fine of a few thousand dollars.

Countless workplace incidents like this happen across America every day that we never hear about. Yet it appears that the UAW wants to make sure that the media cover every one involving Tesla. Their motive is to influence Tesla workers into supporting UAW unionization, but it affects the share price to a degree far beyond what is rational. In any event, I doubt Tesla employees will vote for a union.

I posted this in the general forum today, but it may bear repeating here:

That’s quite the Freudian slip Curt

Generally people think UAW did all the things to unionize Tesla. I think we shouldn't rule out the possibility that they shorted the stock a few years ago, then started the attack. From their point of view, that's easy money. Also I wouldn't rule out the possibility that big shorts are behind the UAW on Tesla. After living in the real world for many years, I realize sometimes things are not as simple as appeared.

Two years ago, the Chairman from a large mining company said they would short TSLA and make billions. Why would a mining company short a car company? I guess there is no law preventing it.

Generally people think UAW did all the things to unionize Tesla. I think we shouldn't rule out the possibility that they shorted the stock a few years ago, then started the attack. From their point of view, that's easy money. Also I wouldn't rule out the possibility that big shorts are behind the UAW on Tesla. After living in the real world for many years, I realize sometimes things are not as simple as appeared.

Two years ago, the Chairman from a large mining company said they would short TSLA and make billions. Why would a mining company short a car company? I guess there is no law preventing it.

Great point about UAW shorting the stock. I could definitely see that as a possibility.

• Disagree
Reactions: Sudre
Great point about UAW shorting the stock. I could definitely see that as a possibility.

While we can’t rule out the possibility, this seems highly unlikely to me. Unions like to get their money the old-fashioned way: member dues & political spoils. That said, intelligent bears (seems like an oxymoron, but they exist in small numbers) would recognize the UAW agenda & seek to profit from it.

I disagree that the cylindrical cell format will eventually be a disadvantage. It's a design choice along with NCA chemistry to provide the performance that Tesla needs. Bolt can use pouch for lower performance/cooling requirement, and they can optimize around that, and gain pack (volumetric) density. But it doesn't make up the performance difference.
NCA is not a particularly high C rate chemistry but with a large enough pack it can put out plenty of performance. A123 and other companies have made much higher C rate cells in pouch format. At some point if cell chemistry advances as we all hope it does then the cylindrical format inevitably becomes a disadvantage. If you don't need the extra surface area for cooling, if you don't need small cells because of volatile chemistry, and if you have a higher C rate cell chemistry, then the added complexity of many small individual cells with wasted space between them becomes a liability.

So jealous of that Robinhood app. Can't access it from Belgium.

Oh well, I'll just be a long term investor and enjoy my almost free health care.
May I suggest using a virtual private network (VPN). Not only does a VPN provide a secure tunnel for your traffic from your device to websites (so you can safely use the free Starbucks Wi-Fi) but, at least the one I use, allows you to select what area of the world your computer "appears" to be accessing the internet from. Now I'm not suggesting that you should use it to get around sports "blackouts" or to spoof your Netflix. However, increasing your portfolio without extra fees seems like an appropriate use. ;)

OK, I jumped in for a few more at $291 today.

How did I go from never paying attention to checking several times an hour in just over a week?!!! :eek:

This could ruin your life, unless you want to become a full time day-trader, which could also ruin your life.

Have a plan, follow your plan, don't pay too much attention to the noise.

Somebody tell me something tesla related that I can look forward to over the weekend
What i

tesla factory should be back up Saturday or Sunday :p
I'm sure the news outlets will accidentally overlook that story.

Advertising is the lifeblood of the media. Tesla does not advertise. The other automakers and their dealerships advertise heavily. Unlike with Tesla's competitors, there is not much need for media outlets to think twice about disseminating doubtful FUD about Tesla. Meanwhile, they lack much motivation to spread good Tesla news, especially if it might be hurtful to their advertisers.

Last edited:
May I suggest using a virtual private network (VPN). Not only does a VPN provide a secure tunnel for your traffic from your device to websites (so you can safely use the free Starbucks Wi-Fi) but, at least the one I use, allows you to select what area of the world your computer "appears" to be accessing the internet from. Now I'm not suggesting that you should use it to get around sports "blackouts" or to spoof your Netflix. However, increasing your portfolio without extra fees seems like an appropriate use. ;)

This may solve the technical side of the problem.

But there is also the compliance aspect. Example: The US charge a withholding tax (usually 30 %). As a German who is taxed in Germany this tax is reduced to usually 15 %. Then there are different reporting duties in different countries.

robinhood is seeking international expansion, but they are not quite there yet. Onward

• Informative
Reactions: Duffer
Not much volume though right? Unless we are flooded in last 45 mins. 6M+ yesterday. so far 4.26M ..

Indeed, TSLA trading volume is light, especially for a monthly options expiration day. With limited buying interest, possibly due to FUD articles and an upcoming earnings report, manipulation of the share price becomes relatively inexpensive. In fact FUD is often intentionally disseminated on options expiration days. Meanwhile, keep in mind that the Max Pain based on yesterday’s closing open interest could deviate significantly throughout today’s trading session.

Hedge funds and market makers that have written options would like for them to expire worthless. Meanwhile, hedge funds that bought puts would like them to finish the day well under their strike prices. Hence manipulation of the share price. This could be similarly affecting the shares of other companies, therefore another reason for the dip in the market averages.

The TSLA price and volume pattern yesterday appeared to indicate that one or more institutions were buying TSLA shares throughout the session. They appear to be standing aside today, perhaps out of concern for options manipulation amid light volume. A rebound early on Monday would not be surprising, especially if the institutions return to feeling comfortable.

Status
Not open for further replies.