Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
dont think so. sidebet?
No betting, but in the last 5 years of holding TSLA, I have seen days like this again and again and again. Even days with bigger dips when all seemed doomed, turn around and rapidly head into the green. I am sure there are many here who have seen the same.

Wall Street is angry that Tesla will not be borrowing money. When Tesla had to drink from their trough they could slow the rate of Tesla growth to preserve their stranded assets that Tesla was disrupting. That was the old paradigm model for a company dependent upon Wall Street, and until the 2nd Iraq war Wall Street called all of the shots on who would win and who would lose, and could even control just how long that would take. But then China bought US debt, and China became a heavy player on Wall Street. And Wall Street became dependent upon a quiet partner that it could not control or predict.

And now there is a much bigger market for Tesla in perhaps the only place that can bully Wall Street, in a country with no unnecessary limits imposed on its renewable energy growth, and a country that has changed its own laws to support bringing Tesla manufacturing and thus cheaper Tesla products on a massive scale to its own soil. When the US and Wall Street tried to slow renewable energy growth With ridiculous tariffs on Chinese solar, and by screwing Tesla with FUD, China simply opened its arms and the workd’s biggest market to Tesla. So in a way, both Elon and China have given the finger to Wall Street. And since Wall Street is dependent upon China, I think the backlash from Elon’s behavior last night won’t get too far out of hand. In fact, in many ways it was a tuning up of Wall Street by the new Bigger kid on the block - as the new paradigm was dropped on them in a not too gentle way. They deserved it. And I like Elon’s new really Big friend across the ocean.

Everything correlates back to the macro, seems like US and China is starting their trade talk, hopefully there's no fallout in that.

Even though I've been a long term "Elon is a god and nothing he ever does will undermine my faith" bull, but to be honest, I did not like the call. One thing you learn as you enter the workforce or society in life, sometimes the hard way, is that you never burn your bridges, especially on wall street. No matter how many tricks you've got up your sleeves, you just don't put the screw on the analysts. Apple has hundreds of billions in the bank and yet you don't see them giving the middle fingers to the wall street. You just never know when you are going to need their help. Retail investors are a diamond dozen with at most a tens of millions per individual to invest in the market, they do not have a sway in the market whatsoever. Warming up to them may get more people to buy the cars but if you need money to make the cars, retail investors are not going to be as much help as the investment firms. I know Tesla and Elon has been putting up with wall street's BS for too long, be that as it may, this is the worst timing to give them the middle finger.

Luckily I have sold about half of my holding slowly into the earnings, I may scoop up some shares today, but I'm going to wait and see first.
I think you are worrying to much. Remember Facebook shortly after IPO zuckerburg insisted on wearing that hoody many analysts considered offensive?

Reactions: neroden
Cramer defends Elon Musk's crazy call: Every CEO would love to go off like that

"This was the best call I've heard in a long time," Cramer said on "Squawk on the Street." "If I were Elon Musk I would have done the exact same thing," adding many other business leaders must also get sick of questions and likely feel the same as Musk.

"They're all tired and boring, asking tough questions, and what he did do was the internal thinking of a lot of CEOs," Cramer said.

Cramer was also impressed by Musk's frankness. On the call, Musk told analysts that he had no interest in satisfying the interest of day traders and that he "couldn't care less." Musk added, "Please sell our stock and don't buy it."

"You know what that's called? Truth from Musk. Truth," Cramer said. "None of this is, 'I'm kidding.' None of this."
I agree with Cramer. Now I'm really concerned.

I wonder how many people understand what the word disruptive means? When the "analyst's" asked questions it had an ....hmm...old school feel to them.Almost like they had no idea what they were analyzing.

Two explanations for this:

First, this is largely not an A team of analysts. A stronger group will come once Tesla has GAAP profits.

Second, quarterly earnings conference calls inevitably focus on small financial metric changes with short term implications. These are of questionable relevance to what the sp of TSLA should be, which is largely based on long term opportunities and risks. Elon is right to find these questions “boring” (but he needs to keep his pique in check.)

Status
Not open for further replies.