Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Elon's attitude in the call had an immediate effect on analysts behaviour already. From the call: (after the Youtuber section)

Benjamin Joseph Kallo - Robert W. Baird & Co., Inc.

Hey, Elon. So I remember the Baron story, I don't know if it was fake news or not, what you hung up on about your battery costs. And I don't want to ask a mundane question, but I think it's important because one of your stakeholders are shareholders right now, and so far we've had a couple of push-outs in production. Is there a way that you can update us when you get to that 3,000 number or 4,000 number per week?

(emphasis mine)

They're already putting disclaimers up front :). Comedy.

Going to make another prediction. Today might be the lowest TSLA share price for many, many years to come.
Would love that but let's be honest: we've said that before on this board and it was never true.

The one thing we know about $TSLA stock price is its volatility. I expect it to be volatile even when it is at $1500 a share.

Two explanations for this:

First, this is largely not an A team of analysts. A stronger group will come once Tesla has GAAP profits.

Second, quarterly earnings conference calls inevitably focus on small financial metric changes with short term implications. These are of questionable relevance to what the sp of TSLA should be, which is largely based on long term opportunities and risks. Elon is right to find these questions “boring” (but he needs to keep his pique in check.)

I agree on all counts. Tesla stock should be priced based on new innovations and ability to execute. In other words, the kind of questions that the YouTube guy asked. Unless you are worried Tesla is going to run out of cash (which, given their team, is silly), focusing on esoteric changes in accounting between quarters is completely missing the point.

The only non-product question that has me worried is the actual stock price. If it falls a lot, to say around sub $200/share, then we are getting close to margin call territory when the bankers that have loaned Elon $4B will auto sell Tesla stock. Sub $200 means institutional investors will start dumping since they are worried about the margin call, then that’ll drive the stock price down to margin call territory (about $120/share). Yeah, I know, unlikely, but as I said, that’s the only thing that has me worried.

• Informative
Reactions: madodel
Would love that but let's be honest: we've said that before on this board and it was never true.

The one thing we know about $TSLA stock price is its volatility. I expect it to be volatile even when it is at $1500 a share.

I said it when we were in the $250s in March. That's still true. My point is that all the dirty laundry is now aired. And there are scores of positive catalysts coming up.

Reactions: neroden
is that serious? history is really repeating itself.

Why do people keep asking me if I'm serious?

Of course I'm fricking serious. Don't confuse a growth company with a company at maturity.

PE is only a reasonable evaluation when a company has reached maturity. C'mon dude. It's common sense. People invest for the future. Massively growing companies (i.e. Amazon, Tesla) show profit later, but stock rise often precedes it.

Augkuo reports from a factory worker that Tesla hit 400 M3s in a day on Monday. (2800/wk). Sounds about right.
Sounds about right, since last night, 4 new VINs from the 4/5 batch are assigned, VIN chart from Troy's sheet below:
Model 3 Invites Spreadsheet Published Web Version
upload_2018-5-3_8-27-3.png

• Informative
Reactions: Wenche and bdy0627
Status
Not open for further replies.