Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Any word out there about model3 production numbers?

I noticed a post a few days ago regarding vins that pointed to 5k per week but nothing since then. I figure since Elon is on twitter talking trash ( I like him but that’s what it is) that if we really hit 5k we might have gotten a tweet.

Cheers to the longs

All that matters is that battery cell chemistry, regardless of you the OEM is, allows for much less energy density to be stored vs. their ICE counterparts, allowing for a high chance of survival from combustion in the car.

Except when people compare Tesla's to other EV's, which people will of course do.

Is it really true though? Are Tesla's more likely to catch fire vs Leafs or Bolts.

It is unfortunately true as far as I can tell. There are many LEAF's on the road and I've only found one fire, none for the Bolt.

• Disagree
Reactions: Sudre
I had somebody ask me a similar question the other day, my response was: "Aren't you at all concerned about the potential fire with that tank of highly combustible petroleum distillates you've been driving around with for years?"

Some FUD doesn't make a lot of sense when you think about it. (And yes, after 100 years gas tanks are pretty safe, too.)

There seems to be a reason that based on their actuarial data insurance companies charge more to cover V8 muscle cars than they do low horsepower econoboxes.....

My insurance costs are going *down* when I replace my 2017 Leaf with my 2018 Model 3 (delivery is tomorrow). The actuaries seem to be speaking quite clearly on relative safety of Leaf vs Model 3.

All the Tesla fatalities we've seen to date are accidents which would have had the same, or worse outcomes in other cars - they're high-speed, high-energy impacts, quite often in unusual circumstances. In contrast, we also hear about many Tesla drivers who walk-away from crashes which would likely result in severe injury or death in any other car, and this is my main observation. I'm very happy to have my family in a Model X.

My insurance costs are going *down* when I replace my 2017 Leaf with my 2018 Model 3 (delivery is tomorrow). The actuaries seem to be speaking quite clearly on relative safety of Leaf vs Model 3.
Model S is the cheapest car I've ever insured here in Ontario (Insurers are on the hook for medical costs here in Canada, which apparently dwarfs repairs). Also there is something called no-fault insurance which means insurance companies don't litigate against each other, but pay their own members. Hence, cost of insurance should be primarily seen as an insight into what insurer thinks of the safety of the insured car.
Model S cost me $1400 a year, vs $2400 for Mercedes E class. Second least expensive car to insure (ever) has been $1900 for equivalent insurance, but range was mostly $2200-$3000

You have seen the already announced GWh sized Energy storage project, yes? You have heard from him the ramp is going well, yes?

Both of these already should raise SP quite a bit. And if the ego's of those analysts were smaller the SP would not have tanked during the call but raised considerably.
I should send those analysts a thank you note. They made me quite a bit of money on that stupid dip after the earnings call.

This latest one may be the exception. It was a front end impact which ended up causing a fire. Quite possibly an ICE with the tank in the rear would not have caught fire.

From what I can glean, the impact was high enough to totally destroy the front of the car. If there had been an engine in the front then I think the outcome would have been the same, but by different means.

But I agree that Tesla need to investigate this one in-depth.

Status
Not open for further replies.