Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not exactly true. Both BMW and VW is looking into producing their own cells using next level nanotechnology anodes, providing better "chemistry" (faster charging / more cycles due to less degradation) than what is currently employed in the Panasonic cells used by Tesla, see here:
March 19, 2018 News of the Day: Sila Nano Announces Partnership With BMW for the Next Generation of Lithium-Ion Batteries, Mercedes Benz Working on Car Subscription Program for the U.S. - FutureCar.com.

Their problem is that such deals with startups like Sila take a long time to turn into massive cell production, see this quote:

Tesla did not make a deal with Sila nano, not because they did not like the technology, but because they want something available in large scale now, not in 5 years. So the Germans are taking EVs seriously, but their time-line is still long in the future, i.e. Tesla still has a 5+ year moat against them.
We also don't know how competitive Silo is with Tesla's internal battery roadmap in 5-10 years. It comes down to one thing that JB says over and over, Tesla is the biggest battery manufacturer and also one of the most aggressive in R&D, so if anyone has any "magical" new battery, Tesla is their 1st call, guaranteed.

Let's do a thought experiment. In 5 years, German mfgs offer cars with a new "breakthrough" battery. They say it charges fast and lasts for many cycles. If you are shopping for a new car, do you buy from someone who promises the moon or from someone with a proven track record of millions of cars whose batteries are known to degrade very slowly and provide outstanding service. OEMs who count on a breakthrough are playing a dangerous game even if their hoped for battery appears.

We also don't know how competitive Silo is with Tesla's internal battery roadmap in 5-10 years. It comes down to one thing that JB says over and over, Tesla is the biggest battery manufacturer and also one of the most aggressive in R&D, so if anyone has any "magical" new battery, Tesla is their 1st call, guaranteed.

Sila isn't producing their own battery cells, they just provide nano based anode materials for battery cell producers, so they would be a supplier to Tesla/Panasonic cell production. And as I mentioned, Tesla did talk to them and the problem was not technology level incompatibility but manufacturing scaling timelines (Tesla wants to go much faster than Sila is capable).

Not exactly true. Both BMW and VW is looking into producing their own cells using next level nanotechnology anodes, providing better "chemistry" (faster charging / higher energy density / more cycles due to less degradation) than what is currently employed in the Panasonic cells used by Tesla, see here:
March 19, 2018 News of the Day: Sila Nano Announces Partnership With BMW for the Next Generation of Lithium-Ion Batteries, Mercedes Benz Working on Car Subscription Program for the U.S. - FutureCar.com.

Their problem is that such deals with startups like Sila Nano take a long time to turn into massive cell production, see this quote:

Tesla did not make a deal with Sila nano, not because they did not like the technology, but because they want something available in large scale now, not in 5 years. So the Germans are taking EVs seriously, but their time-line is still long in the future, i.e. Tesla still has a 5+ year moat against them.

Well, allow me to add following.

The Investment BMW for instance is taking in the Battery cell part is ver small and won't help them to be what their CEO just announced as the EV market leader. Their main EV investment goes into a modular production line where they can produce ICE and EV on the same line. Thats a strategy we should discuss separately if good or bad.

On the battery R&D and production their investment is that small that it looks like more marketing than anything to me.

So, I don't see how they will differentiate with Batteries. They just announced a fluffy picture of an EV that supposed to be shown as a concept car end of this year with 400+ miles range to be produced in 2021. Lets assume with a successful R&D in a year or so they have a breakthrough but still need to build a production plant for the Batteries and Germany and Europe is very demanding with regulations so you need much more time to get approvals to build it versus US or China. What I am trying to say is that all of those investments, announcements, specs and timelines do not add up.

BMW unveils first glimpse of its ‘Tesla Model 3 competitor’ iNEXT electric car

So, I don't see how they will differentiate with Batteries. They just announced a fluffy picture of an EV that supposed to be shown as a concept car end of this year with 400+ miles range to be produced in 2021. Lets assume with a successful R&D in a year or so they have a breakthrough but still need to build a production plant for the Batteries and Germany and Europe is very demanding with regulations so you need much more time to get approvals to build it versus US or China. What I am trying to say is that all of those investments, announcements, specs and timelines do not add up.

It could be even more complicated if they continue to rely on China to build the cells, if their new cell technology is not compatible with existing battery manufacturing methods, then they have to convince their Chinese supplier to revamp their factory to build those cells. It will likely be a rocky process, compared with Tesla which can make the change in-house in a smooth and coordinated way.

Reactions: LordAstinus
Well, allow me to add following.

The Investment BMW for instance is taking in the Battery cell part is ver small and won't help them to be what their CEO just announced as the EV market leader. Their main EV investment goes into a modular production line where they can produce ICE and EV on the same line. Thats a strategy we should discuss separately if good or bad.

On the battery R&D and production their investment is that small that it looks like more marketing than anything to me.

Yes, you are right, the timeline does not add up if you try to fit the bear narrative that competition is coming from 2020.
But my reading between the lines of the BMW announcements is that they are making concept vehicles and low production number pilot projects (such as the i3 and i8 were) in the 2020-2022 time-frame and plan to enter the EV market with meaningful production numbers after 2023 if their own battery cell production experiments work out with Sila and other partners. I do not know enough of the regulatory and factory building timelines in Germany to judge if that is possible within 5 years time-frame.

Reactions: wnorris
As soon as it costs less to buy and operate an EV than to operate an ICE, people will be desperate to get rid of any ICE they have. Price of fuel and insurance has much to do with that.
I agree that will be a big thing, especially for driving new car sales, but if somebody really likes their truck or whatever, they don't own it because the fuel is cheap. And in addition, it's hard to say exactly where gas/electricity prices will go, although for anyone that puts solar on their home that will of course be a big driver.

ValueAnalyst on Twitter

60% of 376 voters said $3,000 to "At which level would you sell most of your TSLA?" The percentage was trending at 90% before a known permabear retweeted the poll. The results show the vast majority of retail shareholders are invested in Tesla's longer term future.

If the only way to access the poll was to be on your twitter, and the majority of people accessing your twitter are bullish or linked via the TMC site, my criticism would be that you are not accurately assessing all shareholders and can't make a conclusion about the vast majority of retail shareholders. You're not accurately capturing those shareholders apathetic about tesla right now, who might not be online and actively searching out more tesla information or twitter profiles related to tesla. You also don't know if respondents on your poll are shareholders to begin with.
I think the best conclusion you can draw is that the vast majority of people who took the poll would like to sell most of their shares for the highest value.

Let's do a thought experiment. In 5 years, German mfgs offer cars with a new "breakthrough" battery. They say it charges fast and lasts for many cycles. If you are shopping for a new car, do you buy from someone who promises the moon or from someone with a proven track record of millions of cars whose batteries are known to degrade very slowly and provide outstanding service. OEMs who count on a breakthrough are playing a dangerous game even if their hoped for battery appears.
Most buyers won’t dig that deep. If they did, Nissan Leaf sales would be zero in the lower half of the USA after seeing how the Leaf batteries have degraded. Those of us who have owned the Leaf have a long memory, however. That said, when you call most Nissan dealerships and ask about the “Leaf” they respond that they can do a “lease.” Lol

Reactions: neroden
This is interesting - a rail terminal has opened in Fernley, Nevada:

https://nnda.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/NNDA_Black-Gold-Terminals-News-Release_16May2018.pdf

This might be useful for Tesla to get product to and from the Gigafactory. At some point in the near future, sending battery-packs by rail to Fremont might be the preferred way to go...

I think Elon would rather bore a Boring tunnel between the two, but this makes more sense in the short term at least.

At this point, given GS's history of suspected "Chinese wall" violations, I think this is intended to give GS the chance to buy more TSLA stock cheap.
Specifically, looks like the buy side wants 330 strike calls for March 2019. Their sell side strategy desk is suggesting long converts and selling 330 calls. Who in their right mind would sell these when Tesla is going to pivot hard towards profitability in H2.

fwiw, having looked at this extensively, I view neroden's timeline for supply catching up to demand as tremendously aggressive. 50% of worldwide consumer vehicle supply being electric before 2030 looks doubtful to me, much less, 90%.

The Fractured Tipping Point Moat
I'm running a naive extrapolation of the current exponential growth trend in production. There is some evidence that production may accelerate. I have reason to believe it won't slow down before 50% and probably not before 90%. The naive extrapolation gives 2030. Everyone always underestimates adoption, so I hedge my bets by saying that it might happen up to 5 years earlier.

To be clear, this is only new vehicles; sadly it will be at least a decade, probably more, to replace the installed base of vehicles on the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.