Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What are the most important things a car should display for the driver?

A5E8B304-EFF2-4464-BB36-B4D2B599F059.jpeg

Headlines everywhere about one Tesla model S where the battery spontaneously caught on fire (supposedly, cause currently not known) yet no one was hurt, but hardly any articles about the huge explosion last month at a factory that makes parts for Ford trucks (and other manufacturers), disrupting their assembly lines.

Guess that wouldn't drive stock prices down...

Guys, I've been following TSLA since 2012 and reading most threads in the TMC Investors forum weekly but I really don't understand what's going on with the stock. According to the tracker, no invitation to configure has been sent since April 22. Even if Tesla is now able to produce 5K Model 3 per week (with 24/7 work on the first 2 assembly lines and the new 3rd one), how can the Q2 deliveries (and therefore earnings) be that good? I know some deliveries are taking places in Canada (to not hit the 200K ceiling in the US) but I haven't heard about 10+K deliveries. And there's apparently no push in Norway either. I understand it might just be the shorts who are running for cover (especially w/ Musk warnings) but to my knowledge, nothing tangible can explain such a turnaround.

Can you pinpoint some facts I've been missing. Rest assured I really don't want to feed the FUD (again, I've been long since 2012).

Reactions: dandurston
do you guys recommend trying to swing trade Tesla? I got in at $254. I want to hold Tesla for a few years but it just hurts when it goes down tons.

If you bought these shares with free cash, I think the stock will go a lot higher in a few years. Meanwhile continue to save cash to add more shares in case there is a pullback.

If you bought with full margin or borrowed money, then I have no comment. I am not an expert on that.

Reactions: neroden
Well, this is unexpected. Was hoping for one month of downtime. But looks like we are getting close to short squeeze. When sp goes past all time high, will have to monitor the short % of float daily.

You mean to understand when the short unwinding is more or less finished? What levels you will be looking for? It would be reasonable to expect if the covering rally gets out of hand that new shorts would come in.

Nasdaq is now green, tech stocks are up. Markets seem to be recovering. Time to go bear hunting?

Shoot at will boys, spare no bears! No parts will go unsold: bear fur, bear claws, bear teeth, head, ears, eyes we have buyers for all parts. The market is hungry for anything “bearish”, you have the parts, we have buyers. Black bears, brown bears polar bears, it won’t matter. Cubs and momma bears are also on high demand.

Thinking about Elon's doom for the shorts in 3 weeks tweet...
If he is hoping for a big move up based on announcing 5k/week reached plus gigafactory in China, I do not see that having such major impact as I would guess those events are already priced in with this recent run-up. If there is some extra announcement coming, such as a new big investment from China (e.g. Tencent) for the gigafactory, that might be an extra catalyst -- idle speculation only.

Another speculative idea: what if Tesla double lists its stock in Hong Kong ?
The Asian market maybe more appreciative and hungry for this kind of high tech + high growth stock, which could potentially apply immense buying pressure squeezing the shorts ?

Shoot at will boys, spare no bears! No parts will go unsold: bear fur, bear claws, bear teeth, head, ears, eyes we have buyers for all parts. The market is hungry for anything “bearish”, you have the parts, we have buyers. Black bears, brown bears polar bears, it won’t matter. Cubs and momma bears are also on high demand.

Careful that peta lady who asked Elon the question about leather shifter and wheel might come looking for you :eek:

Guys, I've been following TSLA since 2012 and reading most threads in the TMC Investors forum weekly but I really don't understand what's going on with the stock. According to the tracker, no invitation to configure has been sent since April 22. Even if Tesla is now able to produce 5K Model 3 per week (with 24/7 work on the first 2 assembly lines and the new 3rd one), how can the Q2 deliveries (and therefore earnings) be that good? I know some deliveries are taking places in Canada (to not hit the 200K ceiling in the US) but I haven't heard about 10+K deliveries. And there's apparently no push in Norway either. I understand it might just be the shorts who are running for cover (especially w/ Musk warnings) but to my knowledge, nothing tangible can explain such a turnaround.

Can you pinpoint some facts I've been missing. Rest assured I really don't want to feed the FUD (again, I've been long since 2012).
The most logical explanation (in my mind) is that it's just recovering from the dip that was a result of the Model 3 taking a few extra quarters to ramp up.

Thinking about Elon's doom for the shorts in 3 weeks tweet...
If he is hoping for a big move up based on announcing 5k/week reached plus gigafactory in China, I do not see that having such major impact as I would guess those events are already priced in with this recent run-up. If there is some extra announcement coming, such as a new big investment from China (e.g. Tencent) for the gigafactory, that might be an extra catalyst -- idle speculation only.

Another speculative idea: what if Tesla double lists its stock in Hong Kong ?
The Asian market maybe more appreciative and hungry for this kind of high tech + high growth stock, which could potentially apply immense buying pressure squeezing the shorts ?

A lot of bears are still in disbelief of the 5k number. They are still fighting against it on seekingalpha. The problem for shorters is that more buying pressure will accumulate. once the 5k is confirmed and it becomes apparent that Tesla has a strong business model many bears will be headed for the exit, new floors will be set while new resistance will be tested, margin calls will kick in and Elon will be slaying bears with continuous stream of good news: China GF, partnerships, positive cash flow on target, more positive cash flow on target, FCF announcement, full self driving, Model Y teasers, 25% gross margins, etc. Elon still has a lot of ammo left for bears, they are completely scattered and confused, either hiding or running around like headless chickens in an uncomfortable terrain where bulls are armed with ammo not to shoot and kill but for recreational sport hunting. Must feel torturous to be a bear in a climate like this. Tesla up today on a weak macro day is a testament to strength.

You mean to understand when the short unwinding is more or less finished? What levels you will be looking for? It would be reasonable to expect if the covering rally gets out of hand that new shorts would come in.

Based on past exp. It happens over a 3 day span. new shorts comes in slower and build up over a month. So there will be a short window to watch.

I hope the news in 3 weeks is about a major investment by China. As that'll take away more float and causing a more violent squeeze. But the more likely scenario is a higher delivery which will just cause a meh squeeze.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: neroden and dakh
Status
Not open for further replies.