Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Prepare for a lot of shorts on CNBC today. Remember, CNBC 'guests' are not actually guests - they pay to be there. Shorts who have a heavy position will be willing to pay a high price to get on CNBC to spew their lies today. CNBC couldn't care less if anything they say is true or not - as long as they pay.

Case in point: here we have Gabe Hoffman, a longtime Tesla short, saying things that make absolutely no sense (cars leaving the factory half produced? What?!?). The CNBC host, Martin Soong, is incredibly uncomfortable - knowing this makes zero sense, but he can't say anything because Gabe has paid and therefore he can say whatever he wants no matter how ridiculous and will not be challenged under any circumstance.

Read the 'fine print' of Elon Musk's email, says investor

Reactions: Nathan and wipster
Case in point: here we have Gabe Hoffman, a longtime Tesla short, saying things that make absolutely no sense (cars leaving the factory half produced? What?!?). The CNBC host, Martin Soong, is incredibly uncomfortable - knowing this makes zero sense, but he can't say anything because Gabe has paid and therefore he can say whatever he wants no matter how ridiculous and will not be challenged under any circumstance.

You can see he has done a lot of paperwork while investigating Tesla :p

Untitled.jpg

While his overall thesis is nonsense, I find it plausible that 5K cars “factory gated” does indeed mean Model 3s produced from raw materials for the week AND 3s that had largely been produced prior to last week, but received some final work to put them in ready to ship status by the end of last week. If this is the case, for the big picture it means nothing, but re the very short-term “market action,” this (and some accompanying efforts to attempt to paint Elon as slippery/untrustworthy) might get some traction as something of a brief downward vector on the share price among some strong upward vectors this week. Doesn’t change the reality that current ongoing events are core good old days in Tesla’s emergence : ).

Last edited:
Tesla Model 3 = #21 Best Selling Car In USA. #15 In May? #6 In June Or July? | CleanTechnica
Referring back to this chart of April's sales... I know the numbers have all changed since then, but for July, the Model 3 could be the number-four-selling car in the USA, displacing the Honda Accord. Maybe even the #3 selling car in the USA, displacing the Toyota Corolla!!! <gulps>

UPDATE: I found some May 2018 figures on www.goodcarbadcar.net. Looks like the Model 3 might scrape in at position #7 for June, and position #5 for July. Still... wow!!!
MAY 2018 USA CAR SALES
1 Honda Civic 34,349
2 Toyota Camry 29,965
3 Toyota Corolla 29,578
4 Honda Accord 28,212
5 Nissan Altima 23,030
6 Hyundai Elantra 20,762
7 Nissan Sentra 18,103
8 Ford Focus 16,144
9 Ford Fusion 15,253
10 Kia Forte 11,261

What's more impressive. It's a $50k car. Those cars above average under $25k. Meaning revenues could make it but the number one car at 15k.

Reactions: wipster
While his overall thesis is nonsense, I find it plausible that 5K cars “factory gated” does indeed mean Model 3s produced from raw materials for the week AND 3s that had largely been produced prior to last week, but received some final work to put them in ready to ship status by the end of last week. If this is the case, for the big picture it means nothing, but re the very short-term “market action,” this (and some accompanying efforts to attempt to paint Elon as slippery/untrustworthy) might get some traction as something of a brief downward vector on the share price among some strong upward vectors this week. Doesn’t change the reality that current ongoing events are core good old days in Tesla’s emergence : ).

Wow. People who clearly have never worked in the trenches, have never led people who are exhausted and are grasping at straws for motivation to continue on, find it supremely satisfying to point out minutia. They get giddy with excitement when they find the slightest tinge of overly-optimistic wordsmithing.

Not a good way to invest, however.

Being rather sad, with no friends, I have been watching pre-market all morning, like a freakin' hawk. Has been trading mostly 362 - 366 with 365 the battle-ground as far as I can see.

Whether this means anything in relation to main trading hours, I don't know, but it has been very consistent so far, as opposed to the usual volatility. If it breaks 365 early I think it could run a bit.

Not an advice, nada, nada, nada...

I read a while back somewhere that Tesla is able to realize several forms of tax credits- both environmental ones for zero emissions vehicle in states like California, but also credits from Nevada as park of their Gigafactory deal. To what extent will these factor into profitability both in the short-term and the long-term. I am sure they are going to be profitable even without these, but this would seem to be gasoline on the fire of torching the short position. Thoughts?

• Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Tesla releases official production numbers: 53,339 vehicles including 28,578 Model 3’s

Hubba, hubba, hubba:

The remaining net Model 3 reservations count at the end of Q2 still stood at roughly 420,000 even though we have now delivered 28,386 Model 3 vehicles to date. When we start to provide customers an opportunity to see and test drive the car at their local store, we expect that our orders will grow faster than our production rate. Model 3 Dual Motor All Wheel Drive and Model 3 Dual Motor All Wheel Drive Performance cars will also be available in our stores shortly.

Status
Not open for further replies.