Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
All shareholders should be able to vote regardless of nationality. Perhaps your brokerage has lent your shares to a short seller. In that case, the party that bought the shares from the short seller is the one who would vote what you thought were your shares. Check with your brokerage regarding that possibility. Also check with Tesla Investor Relations: Contact Investor Relations | Tesla, Inc.
I've a suitably high GTC sell order on most of my shares, set in there's a sneaky short-squeeze while I'm on the toilet, or something. AFAIK, if you have a pending order they cannot lend them?

That's true at my brokerage, but you'll have to check with yours for their policy.

My brokerage had an intermediary called ProxyVote email my electronic ballot yesterday. I approved Elon's pay plan. Possibly other brokerages, especially outside the US, will be using a different intermediary to send proxy ballots at a later date.

• Helpful
Reactions: SunCatcher
I'm sorry, can someone catch me up real quick? What's the main argument against Elon's compensation package?

Some people think if Elon puts his life blood into growing TSLA tenfold and we all get obscenely rich, it isn't enough and he shouldn't get the few bucks associated with achieving those goals, even though it will go towards doing more impossible things.
And I guess some think TSLA will do just fine without Musk, and he has enough so why bother.
Or maybe I don't understand the issue.

I don't know how absurd this sounds, but is that even that much to a guy who's worth tens of billions?

He doesn't want to buy more tropical islands.

He wants to change the course of history. Not from the perspective of a decade or century but millenia. That requires a bit of capital.

So, yeah, a net worth of $20B or $200B makes a difference in what he wants to accomplish.

Some people think if Elon puts his life blood into growing TSLA tenfold and we all get obscenely rich, it isn't enough and he shouldn't get the few bucks associated with achieving those goals, even though it will go towards doing more impossible things.
And I guess some think TSLA will do just fine without Musk, and he has enough so why bother.
Your right you don’t. It’s not about the money for him it’s about challenge, recognition, driving change and writing history

Apologies if others have already pointed out similar opinions. I think Elon is confident Tesla over the coming 10 years will grow to a 600+ billion valuations. His existing shares should that occur would make him hugely wealthy, enough to finance Mars colonization missions if governments won't pony up. If this is mostly true, then I think the point of his new 10 year comp plan is to demonstrate to the market that he plans to lead Tesla hands on for the next ten years. While making this known to the market has not by itself greatly boosted the SP, it may help significantly once M3 ramp insecurity is resolved later this year, and new GFs are announced.
While Elon likely doesn't spend time fretting over short term volatility, I expect he wants to see large increases in SP as that will make getting additional capital easier/cheaper, and that will help get Tesla back on the hyper accelerated track Elon wants.

Yeah, that was helpful. I don't know how confident he is about the $600+ billion valuation, but, I think he sees value in,

1) his staying in the CEO role (unless someone "outstanding" or whatever superlative he used) shows up, in order to buttress Tesla's prospects of fulfilling its potential for the next decade,

2) releasing a pretty startling counter point to the steady stream of assertions that he's all about making money off 'suckers' and government programs, and is indifferent to actually creating a viable business,

and, so, if Tesla will draw more on his mental energy and focus than other plans he's considered (i.e., moving from Tesla CEO to the narrower focus and less intense mental energy drawdown of Tesla Chief Product Architect in the next year or two), that is, if SpaceX will receive less Elon mental energy and focus via this proposed plan, than he wants to see SpaceX compensated for this shift... and the way to do this, is to set up an Elon compensation plan such that incremental Tesla success with added Elon focus and mental effort to Tesla creates a payoff which can be converted into billions upon billions of incremental financial resources for SpaceX. i.e., Tesla stakeholders, you guys get more of me for the next decade, but, in exchange, if I deliver, SpaceX ultimately receives a nice slice of the Tesla spoils to help it fulfill its mission.

Once upon a time, I think he either indicated, or hinted, or just the consensus was that we would have Elon until the Model 3 was in full production, so not a whole lot longer, and I'm very glad that isn't the case. I definitely like my odds of becoming ridiculously wealthy better with him in the game for many more years, and I have no problem if he becomes even more ridiculously wealthy on the way (he will probably do much more worthwhile things with his wealth than I will). So I voted a definite yes with my shares.

I trust Elon with that money more then the government. Still think they just need to give Elon the Paris Accord money and let gone fix that ish.

Once upon a time, I think he either indicated, or hinted, or just the consensus was that we would have Elon until the Model 3 was in full production, so not a whole lot longer, and I'm very glad that isn't the case. I definitely like my odds of becoming ridiculously wealthy better with him in the game for many more years, and I have no problem if he becomes even more ridiculously wealthy on the way (he will probably do much more worthwhile things with his wealth than I will). So I voted a definite yes with my shares.

Reading his book it seems like after Paypal was taken away from him, he vowed never to give up more control than necessary. He's even mentioned that Tesla would work better as a private company like SpaceX. Chances are he buys it back one day.

He doesn't want to buy more tropical islands.

He wants to change the course of history. Not from the perspective of a decade or century but millenia. That requires a bit of capital.

So, yeah, a net worth of $20B or $200B makes a difference in what he wants to accomplish.
Why $200B in ten years when $1T this year would do so much more? That's what I don't get. He has to have it (which I don't begrudge him), but on his timeline, not ours? Certainly, the legitimate opportunties are extremely few if any, but when they are available, why not take them? Perhaps for him, in a place of comfort, ten years is soon enough.
100 million a year compensation over 10 years ? But with the goals provided well worth the expense, I voted 'yes'.
I must have missed their enumeration someplace, not that I need to see them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.