Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 12 year old daughter. All she talks about is Tesla. She says she has many friends in school talking about Tesla. When I wait for her in front of school a number of middle school kids say “nice model 3!” Top this off, my wife is a 1st grade teacher. You’d be amazed how many 6 year old kids already are excited by Tesla cars!
This is my experience too, if ever I go anywhere with kids around and you mention Tesla or space x the kids get really excited, future tesla workers, car buyers and SP supporters

Reactions: gene and SunCatcher
I looked at the TSLA trading pattern again but removed 2 outliers: the huge 42% drop in early 2016 and the 69% gain that followed that huge dip. Those are clearly outliers in the data that are not likely to repeat again soon (we might argue otherwise about the gain but so be it). With those big outliers filtered out, here's what it looks like:

Average dip is 13.6% with standard deviation of 5.3%
1 standard deviation = 18.9%
2 standard deviations = 24.2%
This dip is at 16.1% (from the low of $291 today)

Average dip duration is 8.4 trading days with standard deviation of 6.3
1 standard deviation = 14.7
2 standard deviations = 21.1
This dip is at 10 days

If we haven't already started to reverse with today's stock action, I have to say I really like the odds of this stock climbing soon.

I just saw a few clips on YouTube regarding Nissan Leaf rapidgate. There seems to be an issue with charging rate when you rapid charge more than 2 times within a short time span. A lot of people are complaining about this issue. Hopefully this would give a boost to Model 3 reservation number, not that we need more reservations.

• Informative
Reactions: gene
It is also worth noting that short interest is now down to 8.9bn.

If you are going off Ihor's tweet, it looks like it was sent at around 10:30 am PT/1:30 pm ET with SP at about 297 which equates to roughly 30M shares, which is up roughly 1.6M shares from the last official report for 3/15 (28.4M shares). (Could be a little lower depending on when he ran his numbers if SP was higher.)

Amount shorted in dollars is down because SP is down, but overall shorted shares appear to be up since mid-March.

Edit: corrected SP to 297 for 10:30 am PT/1:30 pm ET

Last edited:
I have a 12 year old daughter. All she talks about is Tesla. She says she has many friends in school talking about Tesla. When I wait for her in front of school a number of middle school kids say “nice model 3!” Top this off, my wife is a 1st grade teacher. You’d be amazed how many 6 year old kids already are excited by Tesla cars!
I am taking my 10-year old daughter for the Tesla Factory tour this week. I hope she will see something inspirational there worth studying and working hard for. I hope I am not too naive.

Sorry for the off topic.

It is also worth noting that short interest is now down to 8.9bn.

If we take $8.9B and divide by $303, we get about 29.4 million shares held by shorts, which is lower than previous months but not hugely lower. The main reason the $ figure is low is because the stock price is low. When the SP returns to $340, shorts will again hold $10B of TSLA if they stay at 29.4 million shares.

I think the irony that Tenable is pointing out is that even with shorts trading two-thirds of TSLA shares these days, short interest in total shares held has been falling. The answer to this apparent contradiction, of course, is that shorts are churning the shares... selling when it will have the most negative effect upon the stock price and covering at times when the buying matters the least (such as in the final minute of trading). When the stock price is in a descent, shorts who manipulate make money by selling high and then covering at a lower price later in the day. On days like today when the SP rises into the close, however, the manipulators lose money. They can only sustain so many losing days like today before they lose their enthusiam for losing money.

• Helpful
Reactions: Richgoogol
I believe today has been a high volume production day again (after few light days), based on my interpretation of VIN assignments. Data doesn't quite show it yet, but Vins reported by the end of the day are equivalent to Vins reported by the end of the day on Mar 20th, one of the highest ever days.
We have a new high VIN 136xx assigned today.

Not sure this is has been linked, but it's from yesterday:
https://ftalphaville.ft.com/2018/03...e-most-shorted-stock-on-the-US-market--again/

For me, I just hope this dip last a few days more, so I can buy (3!) new shares. My buying power is the same of your kids ;-)

Same here, waiting for my tax return (refund), then will add a few € so I can buy 18 more, which will take me to a nice round 500. Low $ makes it an even better proposition right now.

I know, mouse-nuts compared to many folks here, but all bought with cash and all being well will make us very comfortable in retirement, 10-15 years from now...

I asked my son why Tesla and Elon Musk have gained Cult status among young people world wide?
He answered,- “We believe in Elon’s Mission, we just want to make things right. That’s why the shorts can never win”
My kids are buying TSLA shares one or two at a time to hold for the long term. They are also saving to buy a Tesla.

I realized the cult status of Tesla within the young generation that cannot even drive yet as well and believe its much more important than most people believe.

Kids have a strong influence on a today buy decision and will love their parents if they decide for a Tesla because now they can tell in the kindergarten or school what cool car their parents have that "can drive themself out of the garage.... how cool is that!"

Also, think about it, a lot of 10 year old decide to want to drive a Porsche or Jag once they are old and later do a lot to make it happen. Today its not Porsche or Jag any more but Tesla.

This is a guarantee for long term revenue growth as well as a very strong margin for the years to come. As long as Tesla can keep the cult status the group of potential buyers almost addicted to the brand will grow. This are the consumers everybody wants to have.

Last edited:
Reactions: madodel and gene
What does everyone think of CTEQF? A new company in Australia with $$$ for extracting Cobalt and Lithium with a fast track to begin production??? CleanTeq Holdings.
would not this question be more in "resource angle" discussion group? i own a bunch of Cobalt stocks, but from Australia and Canada. I don't like the fighting going on in the DRC. but Resource angle discussion group

Status
Not open for further replies.