Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Keller leaves. No big deal, he wasn't head of the Autopilot program like media and shorts falsily claimed"

> quote Tesla saying that he was in fact Autopilot head.

"Keller leaves. No big deal, the head of the program doesn't matter. And his replacement is surely better"

I trust even the biggest bulls understand that this board is sometimes just as ridiculous as the bitcoin supporter boards where whatever is always good for bitcoin.

The software side is vastly more important to Tesla than the hardware side. This is the secret sauce that cannot be replicated easily if at all. The chip is icing on the cake and likely will be impacted, but not prevented by Keller leaving. Karpathy's team is much more critical to success.

Keller leaving is not a positive, but he has been with Tesla long enough to establish a fully functioning team. It would be interesting to understand the true reason for his move. He does have a pattern of moving on once he has accomplished a task for a company.
I think having Karpathy taking on a bigger role in AP is a good thing, and likely outweigh the loss of Keller. I suspect Keller was put in charge of AP after Lattner left in order to provide continuity. Karpathy was reporting to Keller, but now that Karpathy has turned the SW side around, I think it's the right time to promote him. Since Tesla is designing a chip to specifically work with their SW, it's better to have the chip designer taking orders from the SW side, instead of the other way around.

Reactions: bdy0627 and wnorris
I trust even the biggest bulls understand that this board is sometimes just as ridiculous as the bitcoin supporter boards where whatever is always good for bitcoin.

I agree I’ve encountered some here that to me are outlandishly bullish. However, I don’t see the sky falling as a result of Keller’s departure. There is a good chance his work here is done, and doesn’t seem too out of the ordinary for him.

Reactions: bdy0627
I personally believe that Karpathy is more important to Tesla AP than Keller. Chip design has been around for decades, Keller is good but not irreplaceable. AI/DNN is new and expertise is much rarer. Look at the progress that AP has made since Karpathy came on board, I don't think it's a stretch to think he has contributed more than Keller has. If you have good argument against promoting Karpathy over Keller I'd like to hear them. I have lots of respect for you but please keep away from attacking other's motivations.

Yeah. You wouldn't be the first short who joined the board to try to spread FUD, Oldman.

But maybe you're not a short - then I'd recommend adding something more substantial than "The chart looks ugly and the news flow negative."

As I said, I like Tesla cars and am planning to buy a MS in midterm future (S Mark II, maybe ☺️). But I am also an experienced investor and watch the performance of the Tesla shares and then find here the extremely optimistic, even aggressive views in the investor threads of TMC. I am certainly not in love with Tesla but this is never good when investing.

I promise to never again to bother you and won’t ever post anything again in the investor threads here. But I will keep reading for few informative postings and else for my amusement.

Have a good time !

Karpathy appears to be doing his work in numpy which would tend to indicate a hardware agnostic implementation on the AI software side.

NN on the car side is mostly a bunch of multiply/accumulate, scaling, and max functions. It benefits from large number of parallel operational units to run the independent calculations of each layer. Number and interconnection of units can impact overall performance, so targeted chip design is helpful for speed and power consumption. Along with HW specific function to reduce data transfer/ SW overhead (kernel convolution).

• Informative
Reactions: kbM3 and immunogold
Seems to be a strange forum here, please excuse me for not asking for your permissions before posting.

I am mainly interested in Tesla cars but am also a private investor looking for ideas. And exchanging opinions is what makes a forum what it is. Why are differing opinions treated so negatively here...?
Different opinions from people with the intent to share ideas and enhance investing wisdom are welcome. Recommending caution regarding investing in TSLA is ok too, but to do that as a brand spanking new member without providing a substantial explanation for your position is not going to be well-received.

Indeed, I've been here over five years. But my first day I was chastised through a direct message from a highly respected member for so soon countering the ideas of other members. In that case the others were professing the merits of selling TSLA at $40, which it was approaching, and then buying back later at $30. My then recently purchased core shares had cost $38 each. My unwelcome post warned that the stock may soon run away from the range traders to the upside. Later I became friends with the member who chastised me, and about a year later we had a pleasant phone conversation which allowed us to laugh about all of this.

That said, welcome to TMC Oldman. All views without hidden agendas are appropriate here, and your posts appear sincere. The problem comes from those who show up briefly to troll and then disappear. So newbies are often first suspected of being one of these. Once members get to know you, the responses will likely become more respectful.

I agree I’ve encountered some here that to me are outlandishly bullish. However, I don’t see the sky falling as a result of Keller’s departure. There is a good chance his work here is done, and doesn’t seem too out of the ordinary for him.

That's what most of us are arguing, I think. It's not that Keller's departure is a positive. It's just that so many assume it's a big negative, when in reality, it may have been the plan all along once he reached a certain milestone.

Status
Not open for further replies.