Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no indication that Tesla didnt do their own testing. In fact they did as they had their own stopping distance, which they responded with to the CR report.

Since this can apparently be fixed by an OTA update it seems more likely that a bug happened/or some such during continued work on the car’s software.

Or the period of CRs testing (one mile cool down) was different from Tesla's and exposed an issue with the ABS adaptation algorithm. (such as multiple lock up events in X amount of time cause it to reduce braking force, like an ice mode)

Tesla long here ....

Not a fan of Consumer reports .... BUT this problem should never have been "discovered" by them, braking is a major issue and Tesla should have addressed this a long time ago. It's disappointing behavior from them , I understand they are deep in production hell but there is simply no excuse for this. I'm left hoping it's truly a software issue ... if not this could turn into something very big.

I hate to say this but Elon and Tesla need some more experienced people at the top to help steer the company ... Elon is simply not that guy as he is the visionary but they need a execution person there next to him. This person needs to handle supply chain logistics as well as media statements and investor relations (read analyst calls) ... Elon's personality is not well suited to this nor does he seem to have the time as he's got his hands in too many other projects. Don't get me wrong .. Elon IS Tesla but even Jobs had Tim Cook ... Elon needs his Tim.

Cheers to the longs.

Yup.

Would probably help defuse that a bit to get some standard battery Model 3s in the mix for Q4, which seems to be the plan given the recent estimate of 6-12 months to delivery for new standard battery Model 3 orders.

It may take 3-4 quarters cash flow positive and profitable to knock out some of the more stubborn shorts, and probably not close to all of them even then. But cash flow positive and profitable in Q3 and Q4 is likely to attract new investors and push out some of the smarter shorts, along with shorts who can't afford to keep sustaining losses, which would be nice.
Yeah, as much as I would love to see a massive short squeeze that forces all the shorts out of their positions, I think what you describe is a more reasonable outcome. Most of the major shorts will see the writing on the wall and get out early in the process to minimize loses. Some will lose their shirt but not many. Then they will move on to some other poor unsuspecting company trying to make its mark in an industry and do their best to see its demise as well. So the process repeats.

Dan

Look at timing of release. Wait for a positive announcement to reign it in. Timing very suspicious of motive
Couldn't this be said about a release on the way down as well though? It would amplify the drop and seem like horrible timing. My guess is that they don't follow the stock closely and time the release of reports based upon stock movement. But I could be wrong.

There is no indication that Tesla didnt do their own testing. In fact they did as they had their own stopping distance, which they responded with to the CR report.

Since this can apparently be fixed by an OTA update it seems more likely that a bug happened/or some such during continued work on the car’s software.

I'm puzzled by Elon's response ... IF this is a bug why was it not already fixed ? Are Tesla implying it's just with certain early production models ? Or is this vehicle specific ??

This subject is not the kind of thing you want to be vague with ... it needs an official response from Tesla that is detailed. Imagine if you owned an early Model3 and you read that ?

Twitter is NOT the place to respond to this .... Frankly, I'm getting more and more pissed off reading about this and I don't understand anyone who is defending Tesla right now .... AND I'm a long with a VERY large position. God dammit Elon quit digging tunnels and launching rockets for a while and focus on Tesla OR hire a competent person you trust to handle this stuff .

Tesla long here ....

Not a fan of Consumer reports .... BUT this problem should never have been "discovered" by them, braking is a major issue and Tesla should have addressed this a long time ago. It's disappointing behavior from them , I understand they are deep in production hell but there is simply no excuse for this. I'm left hoping it's truly a software issue ... if not this could turn into something very big.

I hate to say this but Elon and Tesla need some more experienced people at the top to help steer the company ... Elon is simply not that guy as he is the visionary but they need a execution person there next to him. This person needs to handle supply chain logistics as well as media statements and investor relations (read analyst calls) ... Elon's personality is not well suited to this nor does he seem to have the time as he's got his hands in too many other projects. Don't get me wrong .. Elon IS Tesla but even Jobs had Tim Cook ... Elon needs his Tim.

Cheers to the longs.
How can they fix a problem they never knew existed? Have you seen ANY other reports that describe this problem? I sure haven't. Not even posts from actual owners. If their data points to different outcomes then how could you expect them to address something that was never an issue? In my opinion, the way they are handling it is more than reasonable by offering another, more recent example for a retest.

Dan

Also there was a accident happened in Shanghai China. No accident date was given. But according to the description, the minivan hit the Tesla parked at the side of the road and pushed Tesla to the pole. Tesla power was out. But after 10 minutes or so the fire underneath Tesla started. There was no further report as to if the car was destroyed but the fault was 100% on the Minivan.
Was the minivan using autopilot?

Tesla long here ....

Cheers to the longs.

Exactly my earlier point. To me, this is a quality control / assurance problem. They should have performed the exact test CR was going to perform. Regardless if it's a software issue, it's a quality issue. I'm very concerned here. I am always a LONG, but my background is in operations management and they should have a dedicated Quality control team that would have performed this brake test for the Model 3. We all know that everyone is looking at this car with a microscopic lens, and while I appreciate Elon's resilience and sense of urgency on this priority, I hope the OTA is not just a "let me give a quick response for the root cause of the issue while we truly investigate".

I'm a super bullish long..hell I'm about to pull the trigger again since the stock is dropping again...if I worked for Elon I'd recommend for him to RE-TEST every single damn test on this car this weekend and make sure there are no more problems/drama caused by various reporting companies.

Also, with the OTA update, they need to do a complete regression end-to-end test of the car...

Tesla long here ....

Cheers to the longs.

You mean experienced people like GM had, but STILL had the car ignition problem that killed people? you mean THAT experience.

LOL...

Yeah, as much as I would love to see a massive short squeeze that forces all the shorts out of their positions, I think what you describe is a more reasonable outcome. Most of the major shorts will see the writing on the wall and get out early in the process to minimize loses. Some will lose their shirt but not many. Then they will move on to some other poor unsuspecting company trying to make its mark in an industry and do their best to see its demise as well. So the process repeats.

Dan
Given the volume of shorting, if most of the major shorts start to exit in Q3 and Q4, the price is very likely to spike and many shorts will lose their shirts. And pants. And major chunks of their bank accounts.;)

I am not sure that will happen or if so the timing but given how crowded the trade is right now it is a huge risk for the shorts. I personally think they are nuts, or at least blind or reckless.

I'm puzzled by Elon's response ... IF this is a bug why was it not already fixed ? Are Tesla implying it's just with certain early production models ? Or is this vehicle specific ??

This subject is not the kind of thing you want to be vague with ... it needs an official response from Tesla that is detailed. Imagine if you owned an early Model3 and you read that ?

Twitter is NOT the place to respond to this .... Frankly, I'm getting more and more pissed off reading about this and I don't understand anyone who is defending Tesla right now .... AND I'm a long with a VERY large position. God dammit Elon quit digging tunnels and launching rockets for a while and focus on Tesla OR hire a competent person you trust to handle this stuff .

ELON BASH ELON BASH ELON BASH...BUT CHEERS TO THE LONGS!

If it’s a bug or an overlooked algo issue it will be fixed shortly per Elon’s tweet. Relax. Historically Tesla makes things right.

Again, relax. I do own a 3. I’m not even a bit concerned. I use standard regen, don’t tailgate and actually pay attention when I drive. All that means I don’t actually have to emergency brake multiple times in a row, but if I had to I’ve got one good stop in the car and Elon just tweeted they’ll fix it no matter what.

Twitter works for me. I got an answer in under 24 hours from the CEO because of twitter. You know how long it took for Mary Barra to get back to me about my Cobalt? Which I didn’t know had a problem for YEARS, but she knew.

Relax.

Sorry you're upset but I think Elon is being more than accommodating with his response. Offering another recent example for retest is more than fair on his part. If all of their experience from current owners and other testing shows a different result than how can this be seen as systemic? He is addressing the problem, offering a fix if needed, and it will all be addressed in a matter of weeks. Done. What other auto company could address a potential issue in such a timely manner.

As to Twitter and other social media, say what you will but that is the chosen mode of communication these days. I don't like it either but to the vast majority of people these days, that is where they get their information. It is what it is.

Dan

I'm not a driver (student in city center, no need for a car and prefer investing money), so i don't know but are the braking news actually THAT bad? It's a difference of 20ft at a specific speed (60MPH), for SOME cars at SOME runs. Like it's not always 20ft less but only in very specific circumstances.

Maybe the market doesn't like the admission of any mistakes, but i actually love it. It shows honesty (the exact opposite of what shorts say about EM and Tesla) and that they recognize mistakes and address them. They care about their costumers and show superior skills with OTA updates.

This just came out yesterday. Tesla's response at this point has been lightning fast but it's going to take a little more time to evaluate and address it. Give them a little time here. Kudos to Elon for recognizing the need to respond reasonably and fast.

To be honest, I'm getting a little tired of this sh it. It's always a big gain that draws you in and just when you start to load up, a massive dip happens.
It's probably not a good idea to add on gains right now with TSLA, only dips. Even on dips, add in tranches so you don't overdue it on the first part of the dip. That's the way to take advantage of the FUD and huge short interest right now.

ELON BASH ELON BASH ELON BASH...BUT CHEERS TO THE LONGS!

I don't think a valid criticism is a "Elon Bash" .... I've got around $500,000 invested in this company .. NOT in calls but real stock so I'm a firm believer. BUT either Consumer reports has it wrong or Tesla missed something ... it's as simple as that. IN addition this is not iPhone antenna gate where a dropped call is the worst consequence but it's a safety issue.

Once again people seem confused by the statement so I'll ask the questions:

1) is this a known issue ? if so, how long has Tesla known about it

2) is this vehicle specific ? If it's early production how many cars are affected ?

3) If it's early production as Elon said .... that means that at some point Tesla understood the braking had improved ... if so why was no fix implemented at that point.

These are VALID questions and your screaming Elon bashing couldn't be further from the truth.

I love Tesla ... I hired them for my solar roof and I'm on the list for a Model 3 not to mention I'm in for a half a million dollars in stock right now ....

This needs to be addressed in a FORMAL statement from Tesla ... not on Elon's twitter feed. Is that a controversial statement ?

No company is perfect and this is to be expected but what I'm having an issue with is the RESPONSE from Tesla. Clarity please ...

Status
Not open for further replies.