Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you guys expect any material impact on the SP from the potential media tour in the "Tent" (provided it happens?):

Elon Musk on Twitter

Depending on who controls the narrative and the information shared, I think it could be a good catalyst. Even a good selling opportunity for the Global Factory 2.0. I'm I crazy? :)

I do think this has potential if they are able to show a well-functioning line and credible progress toward 5000/week.

I think Elon wants to keep the pressure on shorts (and they are working themselves into a lather on this one) especially since Tesla may now have the General Assembly lines in place for 7-8K/week after further optimization (will still need to increase BIW, paint and battery production).

Lycanthrope:
I prefer no squeeze - a nice gradual 1-3% daily rise for the next 10 years suits my needs better...

So, where would TSLA SP landed if it gained a steady 1% each day, the next 10 years?
Starting now at $358,53 with steady 1% gain for the next 10 years, it would end at $2,190,301,643,884,520,000.00 per single share.
Even modest steady 0.1% daily gain, ends at $13.810,5.

Know your exponentials !

Why did you exit

Use the dip to buy, then hold.
Greed.
I got greedy and pulled out at 315€ (stock price is currently sitting at 308). With that Tesla just sponsored me a medium level model 3 after taxes. I´ll buy in again on the next major dip, and if that never happens I´ll still be happy that Tesla is doing well.
Now the Model 3 just has to arrive in europe :p

Lycanthrope:

So, where would TSLA SP landed if it gained a steady 1% each day, the next 10 years?
Starting now at $358,53 with steady 1% gain for the next 10 years, it would end at $2,190,301,643,884,520,000.00 per single share.

Know your exponentials !

It's not exponential, it's compound interest. But it's still incredibly powerful.

Exponential would be doubling every day.

It's like the story of the chess-board and the rice... or folding paper... Mind-blowing stuff.

It's not exponential, it's compound interest. But it's still incredibly powerful.

Exponential would be doubling every day.

It's like the story of the chess-board and the rice... or folding paper... Mind-blowing stuff.

@WarpedOne is correct, however, compound interest is also an exponential (also called a geometric).
The base of the exponent can be numbers other than 2, such as 1.01 for 1% increase.
Exponential function - Wikipedia
Exponential growth - Wikipedia

@Bobbyducati types faster, but I link ;)

Still green in premarket

Lycanthrope:

Know your exponentials !

@Lycanthrope could you give me the excel functionyou used for this?
I never understood to do compund sums like this one...

Why did you exit

Use the dip to buy, then hold.

I sold my shares to lock in profits. I've been in TSLA long enough to see that it has its ups and downs that I should take my chances to unload my holdings when it has reached its peak before dipping back down and ultimately reversing and heading back up again. Since I sold at $355, I want to buy on the dip at a larger discount. Kinda defeats my purpose of achieving that discount if I had to buy back greater than $355 or a bit lower than $355, for example $353 (not even a 1% discount). I'm looking at $340s as that's about a 10% fall ("stock correction") from recent high. But it seems like it might not happen and I'll just have to take a smaller discount and go with about $350...

@Lycanthrope could you give me the excel functionyou used for this?
I never understood to do compund sums like this one...

I don't do it in any fancy way, probably a mathematician who can show something more elegant...

A1 = starting price
B1 = starting price * 1.01
A2 = B1
B2 = fill-down from B1
Fill down... A2 and B2 for as many days as you want.

I stand corrected on the terminology...

upload_2018-6-20_15-41-55.png

• Helpful
Reactions: aubreymcfato
Greed.
I got greedy and pulled out at 315€ (stock price is currently sitting at 308). With that Tesla just sponsored me a medium level model 3 after taxes. I´ll buy in again on the next major dip, and if that never happens I´ll still be happy that Tesla is doing well.
Now the Model 3 just has to arrive in europe :p

Yeah, you can attribute to greed. I definitely want more money in my pocket to fund my Tesla Model 3.I'm trying to take advantages of the dips. I would like to get the performance trim, but paying an additional $20K something for it is not going to hold great value in my wife's eyes. AWD version of the Model 3 is already more expensive than our 2017 Honda Pilot Elite. Gotta find additional money somewhere. :)

I sold my shares to lock in profits. I've been in TSLA long enough to see that it has its ups and downs that I should take my chances to unload my holdings when it has reached its peak before dipping back down and ultimately reversing and heading back up again. Since I sold at $355, I want to buy on the dip at a larger discount. Kinda defeats my purpose of achieving that discount if I had to buy back greater than $355 or a bit lower than $355, for example $353 (not even a 1% discount). I'm looking at $340s as that's about a 10% fall ("stock correction") from recent high. But it seems like it might not happen and I'll just have to take a smaller discount and go with about $350...
Swing trading TSLA makes good sense most of the time. I'm sure many of us have done extremely well doing just that. Right now, this trend is quite strong, so it is riskier to go all out in anticipation of a major dip coming soon. Consider keeping a core portion invested while using another portion for swing trading. Psychologically, that's much easier to do in terms of FOMO on a rapid rise vs derisking for a dip.

Reactions: sundaymorning
So these MMDs (Mandatory Morning Dips for the uninitiated) are consistent enough that we've given them a name. Why are the always at market open? I assume they're just trying to set the tone for the day, or is there another reason? It's almost so consistent that you could trade on the MMD alone and probably make decent returns.
I think traders expect them, so they are amplified and hit early in anticipation.

Reactions: neroden

Below is a link to one of my earliest TMC posts on 2013 MAR 12, which was shortly after I first purchased TSLA shares. At that time some surrounding posters reported selling the stock in the high $30's with hopes of buying back after a significant dip. Many of them were never heard from again.

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2013

Final paragraph from that post:

Perhaps longer term investors need not be too concerned. When a large number of traders feel it’s time to take profits in anticipation of repurchases at lower prices, yet are unable to depress prices much by their selling, those traders may eventually have to chase a stock that is running away on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.