Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
here is supply chain relationship between tesla and it’s suppliers (well the biggest ones anyway)

sorted by revenue to the supplier
also the last column shows tesla’s % of cogs
View attachment 316164

sorry it’s hard to see
Thanks. This is confirming evidence of the strategy. A lot of these are suppliers of essentially commodity items and it would be easy to switch sources. Norsk Hydro for instance. It's also notable that Tesla buys from both KUKA and FANUC -- not sole-source. There are several with such big percentages of revenue from Tesla that they'd never cause trouble. Apart from them, seat controls and suspension look like the largest items which would be problematic to switch suppliers, though I might have missed some on a quick glance.

Reactions: Boomer19
However, the agreement announcement contains language permitting export of vehicles. Given China's growing influence through infrastructure and consequent agreements with adjacent countries, that could easily grow into an equal-sized market. (Border with Russia, too!)

Edit: This assumes, of course, that he Chinese government has interest in exports, in contrast to some countries I have heard of.:rolleyes:
Good to know. The question in my mind is whether Tesla will want to do substantial exporting. Honestly I have been underwhelmed with the size of this GF, just 500k. I would like China to be able to produce 1M and export half. Maybe that is still in the cards. We have not learned much about the opportunity to expand capacity beyond 500k at this new site. Or maybe someday China will host multiple GFs. Perhaps when the government realizes that this foreign-owned company can drive exports from Chinese workers and domestic supply chains, it will be more accommodating.

Reactions: Skryll
This is from the Q1 conference call. They are shooting for 20% margin on Model 3 in Q4
Elon Musk said:
That's why I was looking forward to clarify what these things mean. Q4 is when we expect to be on or about 20%. Then – but by the middle of next year, 25% gross margin should be where we are. And then, we'll also try to get to the high-20s by the next year.

here is supply chain relationship between tesla and it’s suppliers (well the biggest ones anyway)

sorted by revenue to the supplier
also the last column shows tesla’s % of cogs
View attachment 316164

sorry it’s hard to see
Wow, where are you getting this? Kinda awesome if it's reliable?

Mod: have to ask if it's licensed or copyrighted material... if so please don't post it, it's against the terms of service and opens TMC to possible liability. In any case please attribute it. --ggr.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Esme Es Mejor
Looks like we will have more of the tripp story to look forward to this week...
Ex-Tesla Worker Escalates Legal Battle by Blowing Whistle to SEC
He seems to be "old news". Not even a decent drop in the stock price when that was reported.

The following is just the musings of a "seasoned" aka old guy. He needs to try anything/everything to deflect the focus off of himself no matter how incredible the claim in the hopes that Tesla doesn't eviscerate him in court.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Not true. Even without debt you can still run out of cash if you have negative operating margins. Tesla is in no position to buy back debt or stock. It needs all the cash it can borrow, beg, or raise. Hopefully those operating margins will tip positive soon.
Clearly you don’t understand the difference between going broke or bankrupt,
Read, learn , educate yourself.

Last edited:
Re: @Wooloomooloo

And

When I look at these posts, what comes to mind?

@Wooloomooloo didn't say anything extreme, definitely does not exhibit trolling behavior(like Firebird), and for saying there's an atmosphere of extreme intolerance and over-defensiveness got scolded with a pretty mean dose of bullying from somebody claiming that b/c I've been here for years I("we"???) know better and don't need any newbies around on the forum, essentially claiming rights of ownership of the forum?
This is indeed very toxic and appaling for new members joining the forum to see. He gets bunch of loves and likes. So, this raises question of how many people here are just like him. No disagrees there.
You do not speak for everyone here.
I very much like considered bear arguments.
@Moderatefan, you made me feel bad I did not disagree with original post, and that I have just dashed out verbal disagreement.
I've corrected this now by adding Disagree on the original post too. Let me tell you, that was a pain, clicking through few layers of 'Show Ignored Content' and all that...
@Wooloomooloo

Is he trying to get retroactive whistler-blower status? :eek:

It isn't really new information since it has all been reported publicly already. (Unless he is providing more information than has previously been reported.)
Yes, Elon is using undisclosed precog tech to divine that Tripp would be a whistleblower whereby he fired him before he had actual blown a whistle.

Is he trying to get retroactive whistler-blower status? :eek:

It isn't really new information since it has all been reported publicly already. (Unless he is providing more information than has previously been reported.)
I read the story as Dana Hull needing another paycheque, and merely shilling all the previous stuff for easy $$$.

Wow, where are you getting this? Kinda awesome if it's reliable?

Mod: have to ask if it's licensed or copyrighted material... if so please don't post it, it's against the terms of service and opens TMC to possible liability. In any case please attribute it. --ggr.
yes i though about this after posting.
i think you are correct... i will remove. it was from my friends B.B. terminal, which is most likely not allowed. apologies.

Reactions: wipster and ggr
OK, followup.. this is getting weird. Shortvolume.com has the *same short sale volume* reported as Fintel. It has *different total volume*.

Huh. So I look up the volume on Tradingview for July 5, and I get roughly 17 million. Fintel thinks it's 34 million. This is suspiciously twice as large, meaning I think Fintel is counting buys and sells separately (i.e. doubling the volume, since every trade is a buy and a sell). But then shortvolume.com thinks total volume is 9 million, which seems suspiciously like half of 17 million.

So I check Yahoo for volume, which agrees with Tradingview.

So it turns out shortvolume and fintel are both wrong. Shortvolume has the short percentage twice as high as it really is, and fintel has is HALF as high as it really is. So for yesterday, 7/10/2018, shortvolume said 61.4%, Fintel said 15.3%, and it's actually 30.6%.

Thanks for leading to this useful piece of detective work! :)

Shortvolume.com, volumebot.com, and similar chart sites get their data from FINRA, a private organization tasked with collecting and distributing important data derived from daily trading. I called FINRA and spoke with a knowledgable representative. I specifically asked why their total volume is considerably lower than the NASDAQ-reported volume for TSLA every day. He said that FINRA does not gather information from all exchanges when collecting short percentage of selling information. Instead, it uses a large sample (about 50%) of total trading and then looks to see which of the selling transactions is tagged as "short" on the ticker report. Not all transactions get reported on the ticker. For example, a brokerage might initially offer shares to short from its own supply and then later in the day do another trade to replace the lent shares, and these two transactions would be listed as a single transaction on the ticker. Thus, the process is imperfect but it is the best approximation we have. Yes, the total shares included in the FINRA data is about half of the total shares traded that day but the shares tagged as "short" is also about half of what likely occurs, so I continue to believe the reported percentages are reasonably accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.