Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting. I think [Loss aversion - Wikipedia] causes many investors to remain long at the down-played risk of a major loss as opposed to actually realizing a smaller loss (which a well diversified investor can offset tax-wise by also realizing some capital gains). I was lucky that when the dot.com bubble burst I had most of my funds tied up in real-estate, so I learned that valuable lesson with a relatively small loss.

Really? You seem no similarities between TSLA and the dot com bubble? Look at valueanalyst's polls trying to rationalize Tesla's market cap with forecasts of future car production volumes. Most of you guys participated in that nonsense. Now you have enough insight to forecast car production to 2025. But you don't want to talk about that truth, do you?

Really? You seem no similarities between TSLA and the dot com bubble? Look at valueanalyst's polls trying to rationalize Tesla's market cap with forecasts of future car production volumes. Most of you guys participated in that nonsense. Now you have enough insight to forecast car production to 2025. But you don't want to talk about that truth, do you?
Are you actually comparing a company that makes products and has backlog that could last for years with companies that never even had plans on how to monetize their product?

Agree. The faster moving EV makers will soon dominate the field which can cause an acceleration of total EVs. This is also happening with renewable energy. Wind has dominated GW added each year, but cumulative solar grows at 30%/y while cumulative wind grows about 10%/y. So there will be a crossover soon. Solar will lead with GW added and as a group renewable growth will accelerate.

Year to date plugin sales are up 74% over prior year. China and Tesla are starting to pull away from the pack. And so the race speeds up.

I think I may set up a thread to delve into this.
@jhm do you have this excel spreadsheet? data from 1965 - 2017, free from BP of all folks

Downloads | Statistical Review of World Energy | Energy economics | BP

Wind is growing ~19.4% in 2017, 14% per year year 2006-2016 BUT 1,122,terawatt hours installed
Solar is growing ~35.2% in 2017, 49.7% per year 2006-2016 and 442.6 terawatt hours installed
to me, at first glance, Wind got a head start, but Solar is gaining
data is free (and a bit startling)
(Solar in 2006 was a paltry 5.8 terawatt hours installed and wind was 132.9twh)
i guess it's easier to install PV panels everywhere vs "big honking 2-5 megawatt turbines" :) BUT the transition is accelerating (49.7%/yr for 10 years!!)

Because I’m lazy, I’ll just ask rather than looking it up. If you did your strategy with 45 days, what kind of money would you typically make with $300k sidelined and selling 10 put contracts? Selling below the money ones...
On Tesla? Very VERY VERY roughly (it is massively dependent on IV, so this could be off by factors of 3) $3000 for doing it once. I actually spent a while calculating "static rates of return" assuming that the options expired, treating the premium payment as interest on the tied-up money. Didn't do it unless the static rate of return looked better than the alternative investments.

Last edited:
Ross has become quite a cheer-leader and it's amplified now he actually has an M3.

So this is what Eisman states. The last time I looked, Tesla seemed to be executing things pretty well. Yes, a bit later that we all would have liked, but now on-track.

Seems like a really odd time to open a short position to me...

The portfolio manager called the company's founder Elon Musk a "very smart man" but raised concern about the CEO's ability to follow through on lofty ambitions.

"He's got execution problems," Eisman, portfolio manager at Neuberger Berman, said in a Bloomberg Television interview Friday. "He's nowhere in autonomous driving, as far as I can tell, and big competition is coming in his space next year."

A taxpayer needs a a tax liability in order to use the credit Third party lessors had net income; Tesla has none Since incorporation in 2003, Tesla has never had a year of positive Net Income in the USA--hence no tax liability to offset the credits with.

Tesla has $ billions in tax losses to carry forward. It no longer bothers with valuation allowances.

"As of March 31, 2018 and December 31, 2017, the aggregate balances of our gross unrecognized tax benefits were $218.1 million and $198.7 million, respectively, of which $210.0 million and $191.0 million, respectively, would not give rise to changes in our effective tax rate since these tax benefits would increase a deferred tax asset that is currently fully offset by a valuation allowance....

We do not expect any subsequent adjustments to have any material impact on the consolidated balance sheets or statements of operations due to our historical worldwide loss position and the full valuation allowance on our net U.S. deferred tax assets...

We realized no income tax benefit from stock option exercises in each of the periods presented due to recurring losses and valuation allowances. As of March 31, 2018, we had $1.42 billion of total unrecognized stock-based compensation expense related to non-performance awards, which will be recognized over a weighted-average period of 3.0 years.
OK, yes, I knew all of this, but what I didn't get is what Tesla was doing. I would have assumed that they'd write the car down by $7500 immediately before the lease, since in practice all Model S and X in the US were dropping in value by $7500 on the day of purchase, due to the tax credit.

But you're saying you heard that in some cases they were valuing the car at its full (no-tax-credit) value and then treating the residual value as $7500 higher than everyone else was treating the residual value?

OK, I think I get it. So some of these lease cars had inflated residual values and Tesla is out $7500 when they get them back. Now, as the $7500 credit goes *away*, we all know the residual values of the cars are going to show a bounce or decrease less than they normally would (perhaps by $3750 in January, another $1875 next June and another $1875 in Jan 2020), cancelling out some of the depreciation which would otherwise happen. So Tesla's residual values on leases which expire later will be closer to reality.

I'm really not clear on the state of leases with Tesla, partly because GAAP is so god-awful at lease accounting. *All* of Tesla's leases are 3-year leases, though, I know that. And I know Tesla is avoiding direct leases as much as possible. So I can't imagine that the portion of leases which are expiring in the next 6 months (were issued in the second half of 2015) and are direct leases is substantial, and even if they each take a $7500 loss, whatever; it's verging on the immaterial.

So, forgetting about leases, I already concluded that the number of sold cars where the RVG was claimed was immaterial. The guarantee was for 50% of the base value of the car and 43% of the value of the options, plus (for some customers) "more than a comparable BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Lexus, or Jaguar", a provision which was probably never used since they have worse depreciation curves than Teslas. Teslas actually hold 57.2% of their value after 3 years on average, so only top-specced cars with very high options counts ever claim the RVG. The RVG was discontinued entirely at the end of June, 2016, and the guarantees ran for 39 months, so the last one which can be claimed will be claimed at the end of September, 2019.

But for some reason Tesla is required to list the *full value of the RVG* on *every car with it* as a liability in its accounting, which is vastly more than they will ever pay out. If I'm not mistaken, this is changing for Q1 2019, when the new lease accouting kicks in, and it will be accounted for more like a warranty reserve, with an estimate of the expected payments. Yes, there's some real payments coming, for the difference betwen the RVG value and the actual resale value on the small number of cars which actually exercise the RVG, but it's much less than the reserve on the books.

(For reference, Tesla delivered about 13,600 cars in the US in the second half of 2015. Only a fraction of those were leased and only a fraction of the sold ones had high options packages. I'd say at absolute maximum worst case scenario Tesla would have to pay out $100 million to deal with inflated lease residuals and RVGs over the second half of this year, and that's a far-too-high estimate.)

Last edited:
Here's an interesting Twitter thread stating the bull case, with projections. Maybe one of you is the author...?

Worth a read in any case...

Smack Check on Twitter
Great summary. The only point where I disagree is that I am *not* sure that Tesla will resolve the problems with scaling up service. This has been a weak point for them for a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.