Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm challenged, as many here, regarding the ethics of accepting Saudi's money.
But of late I'm liking Peter Singer books and utilitarianism, and I believe this is a good move - provided they are in good faith.

If they are in good faith, using Saudi's money "to do good" is a good scenario:
  1. they divest from oil, invest in solar = this really moves the needle in the energy industry, and by a lot
  2. they have a chance to jump onboard in doing something good, gives them room to do things right; call it a Sun Tzu or a game theory move, but this is smart, you have one less enemy and an extra friend
  3. remember Swanson's law: we need a lot of R&D and economies of scale on solar, and we need them ASAP.
  4. the sooner they invest in solar & storage, the sooner they hedge their oil investment, the sooner they are able to let the oil industry just die when the time comes.
  5. unless I miss something, all the alternatives, to me, are much worse scenarios

It’s crazy. Just a little while ago in NPR, of all networks, had a FUDster analyst sharing his opinions. :eek:

So much for their "liberal" bent. Based on their coverage of other issues, you'd think they'd avoid that to help Tesla, which is the only company actually trying to sell things that help the environment and that people actually [i[want[/i]. Just chasing the controversy like everyone else.

A lot likes Ars Technica. Used to respect them, as far as blogs go. They put out a couple of poorly-researched hit pieces since last week. I'd link them but don't want to increase their Google ranking. Yet then a bunch of other articles are climate change doom and gloom.

• Informative
Reactions: Krugerrand
But of late I'm liking Peter Singer books and utilitarianism, and I believe this is a good move - provided they are in good faith.

1. they divest from oil, invest in solar = this really moves the needle in the energy industry, and by a lot
  2. they have a chance to jump onboard in doing something good, gives them room to do things right; call it a Sun Tzu or a game theory move, but this is smart, you have one less enemy and an extra friend
  3. remember Swanson's law: we need a lot of R&D and economies of scale on solar, and we need them ASAP.
  4. the sooner they invest in solar & storage, the sooner they hedge their oil investment, the sooner they are able to let the oil industry just die when the time comes.
  5. unless I miss something, all the alternatives, to me, are much worse scenarios

The Saudis are no fools. The know the era of oil is soon to be over.
Elon is no fool - he wont let the Saudis get a majority part of Tesla.

What happen if tesla fails? A few more decades - and oil is still dead.. The Saudis is way better of getting a large part of TEsla - and make sure the transitions of a success and that Tesla grow as large as the company can as quick as it can. We have now access to capital - everything whioch we need to speed up reckless growth. :-D China and the Saudis combined - nothing can stop Tesla if this deal go through.

The fools in this scenario are the shorts - working hard to kill this climb I noticed. :) What do they have, a few 100k share to throw at this break out? :-D

Agreed. The Saudis are just doing what's good for their country and economy. All they had to enrich themselves was oil. Now they're looking at other things with the forward-looking view for once oil runs out. Unfortunately, most analysts can only look forward to the next quarter. Tesla and the Saudis will make strange bed fellows, that's for sure. But I'd prefer them to the Chinese in the current political climate. Saudis are ostensibly our allies, which is enough to hopefully keep CFIUS from ruling against a deal.

Why is stock price still so depressed? I’m so confused. I don’t expect it to be $420, but it should be at least $390

Lot of people betting against it, FUD in the media affecting individual investors ("oh look, guy who bet against credit default swaps etc is betting against TSLA"), and big institutions possibly selling stock whenever it begins a rise so as to depress the price To what end, I'm not sure, but others have hypothesized that.

I must admit I am not thrilled with the Saudis being the funding source. The pitch is they want to diversify into non-petroleum areas of energy business due to the predicted future risk of the oil business. But with significant ownership of Tesla, they would also be in a position to stifle progress on non-petroleum areas of energy business to promote their own petroleum interests. Also, there's the issue of their record on human rights of late.

If you’re going to blame every male Saudi for their record on human rights of late, then they get to blame every male American - including Elon Musk - for Donald Trump. Get the idea?

Why is stock price still so depressed? I’m so confused. I don’t expect it to be $420, but it should be at least $390

Unbelievable! The SP is headed down as opposed to shooting up. So what’s the negative spin Elon’s blog lost?

What's new? :)

Give it an hour before the smart money wakes up. We'll end in the green I'm pretty sure (barring macro's).

Status
Not open for further replies.