Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Presumably he's talking about al-Rumayyan. How could anyone who's done business in the Gulf think al-Rumayyan could take that decision by himself. He's not even a family member.
And you think he would risk his reputation on saying this to Tesla? I mean if there is no support for it with the family then he will be out of a job and worse. It obviously wasn't an off-hand comment. They have been talking to Tesla for almost 2 years. Wow...

I think the ultra bulls are giving too much weight to the positive spin in the blog update. There are still outstanding questions/hurdles to going private, so expect a continued battle of share price. This is not a homerun to launch the stock towards $420 that I was hoping for
should be enough to remove doubt about money backing up the deal. Funding is absolutely present. Elon does not lie. Should see 375 very soon at least. Just lets shorts empty their pockets of fresh short shares first.

·
1s
$TSLA shorts are in serious trouble $420 is just a worst case scenario price for those who want to sell when $TSLA goes private I see absolutely no reason why SP will not overshoot to say $520 or more I see a serious short squeeze between now and when BOD approves the final deal

agree. Only question is when. My stock is fine. However trying to get some leverange with options. damn difficult imho.

Reactions: TrendTrader007
No direct knowledge on any of this but somewhat educated speculation.

Would you care speculate about how will the SEC react to: ?

He has expressed support for proceeding subject to financial and other due diligence and their internal review process for obtaining approvals. He has also asked for additional details on how the company would be taken private, including any required percentages and any regulatory requirements.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Runarbt
Those posting about disappointment that the stock hasn't risen significantly should not really be surprised in my opinion. This historically volatile stock isn't going to change in any significant way until a deal is finalized or dropped for sure. Until then, those with a dog in the race...and dog, short or long...will continue to interpret news in a manner that suits their cause. Nothing new there. This idea of a dramatic and sudden squeeze just isn't going to happen in my opinion. Perhaps a long slow nudge until the details are finalized, one way or another. Until then I think we will continue to see swings of $10-20 in both directions.

Dan

My speculation on why Elon rushed out the tweet:
SP closed Monday at $341.99. Hence the $420 offer today is 22.8% above Monday's close.
Prior to the tweet, SP already reached $359.44 due to the Saudi news.
If it closed at $359.44 and Elon announced tomorrow then the offer is only 16.8% above the previous close.
Worse, if Tuesday closed higher, e.g. $365, then the offer would only be 15% above the previous close.
To make the deal look good, Elon needed to announce the plan right away instead of the next day.
Track record for my posts have not been good. But at least I got this one right regarding the timing of the tweet.

So last Tuesday the only reason the deal hasn't gone through is because it needs a shareholder vote? Yet it would be premature release full details of the plan and funding..? Now that is confusing.

What's confusing about it?

* Funding is secure: if the Saudis want to buy Tesla, and if they have the money (they sure the heck do), then of course funding is secure.
* Investor support is confirmed: again, according to this, they've been trying to for years to buy Tesla. If that's not support, what is?
* The only reason it's not certain is that shareholders have to vote on it: Duh. No deal will be certain until approved

It sounds like you're trying to make an argument that Musk's tweet about "Deal ready to present to shareholders" was a lie. And indeed, except for one problem: Musk never tweeted that there was a deal ready to present to shareholders, or anything even similar.

should be enough to remove doubt about money backing up the deal. Funding is absolutely present. Elon does not lie. Should see 375 very soon at least. Just lets shorts empty their pockets of fresh short shares first.
I was just hoping that the explanation for funding that had already been secured would come from 4-5 different sources. All your eggs in one basket type risk with only one source. If anything bad happens with 4-5 sources, there’s opportunity for others to raise %. A homerun announcement would be a follow up to this blogpost that an additional set of investors are also on board to go private.

The way I understand the letter, EM wants to make sure there are ways to retain the majority of current shareholders that want to stay onboard (i.e. no forced sale). If that is legally possible, the sale would amount to at most one third of the current ownership, and so the Saudis would not get a controlling share even if they wanted.

If, on the other hand, taking Tesla private would involve a large number of the current shareholders exiting and the Saudis taking a majority stake in the company, the deal would get killed by Elon.

I doubt we'd drop that low, but I think we'll be significantly below today's open. I took the news as positive since it was clear that there is a funding source with nearly unlimited capital... The market seems to disagree with me.

Only because "the market" is composed of manipulators, FUDsters and shorts with half a brain. Really this just reinforces why Musk wants to take Tesla private.

I think there is a mix of retail buying and institutional selling by funds who can’t or don’t want to go private. So actually, price action makes sense..... shorts are gonna try to time bottom of institutional selling and so the buys may come later....

My guess obviously ...

• Informative
Reactions: madodel
I find it quite interesting that the "Elon's (lol)" blog post was tweeted by @tesla instead of @elonmusk. Looks like communication is being controlled somehow, for once. Meanwhile, Elon's joking about crypto! Elon Musk on Twitter. IMO, that's a good thing.
The tweet points to a posting on "ir.tesla.com", which is INVESTOR RELATIONS. It is not a "blog" post. It is official communication from Tesla, as represented by its CEO and Chairman. The take private offer is headed by Elon as an individual. Let's all try to get that straight.

Did you read the blogpost? Elon Musk mentions that talks took place on several different occasions. I'm stunned that you don't think their intent is serious and that if shareholders approve a deal gets done.

Nevermind multiple talks for almost a two year period but then they went and purchased a bunch of stock to prove they are serious.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.