Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Way to many armchair quarterbacks are coming out of the woodwork ATM with too many opinions of what Elon Musk should have done, shouldn't have done, said, tweeted, that he should have said more, less, something else, exactly the same but sooner, or later, that he shouldn't work 120 hour weeks, that maybe he should work harder. Lots of people get hung up on the short term drops and spikes in share price (understandable of you're day trading or doing option plays). But everyone: This is exactly why taking Tesla private is the correct thing to do. Now the nitty-gritty details of how to do that optimally are known to exactly no one, including Mr. Musk. There are just too many moving parts, the stock market is too complex for anyone, including any of us or Elon, to predict short term. All explanations hinge on confirmation bias and self fulfilling prophecies. Add to that an unprecedented short interest over many years (unprecedented for a large cap stock) and a level of vitriolic resistance to what Tesla is trying to accomplish and add to that a well funded, influential FUD-producing monster machine working day and night in order to relentlessly beat down on Tesla and Elon - no holds barred and with a blatant disregard for any notion of truth (it's like living in a postmodernistic dystopic bubble where the concept of objective truth is non-existent). It's distracting, energy draining and over time hurts Tesla, it's employees, Elon himself and Tesla's mission.

I have no idea how this will end investment wise for us all but the recent past makes me really sympathize with Elon and Tesla and I completely understand where his desire to give the short sellers a final third degree burn that will give them some permanent scars stems from.

End rant.

FYI, we win.

@tentonine
The gist of the article seemed to be saying Musk is not well, and considering tsla is a cult stock with Musk being the leader, that probably explains it even though most of it is not new and probably overly dramatic. The one thing that concerned me (aside from worrying about this kids) was the mention of concerns about shorts and the worst is yet to come. If tsla really is going to be profitable this quarter, Musk would have a pretty good handle on that by now, so why would he be worried about shorts if they are about to post profits? So hopefully all that talk about being profitable is not going to turn into an "oops we spoke too soon" sort of thing.
This was the same kind of personal attacks they said about Jobs and AAPL. I now get more in dividends a year from AAPL then what I paid to buy 1,000 shares 18 years ago. So Apple is doing just fine without Steve Jobs, though I still see some still short it.

If something, God forbid, bad happens to Elon, Tesla will keep making cars and installing solar. The Dreadnaught will continue to produce. The trolls have their agenda and that is to keep probing for whatever weak spots they can attack to destroy Tesla. We help them with that everyday here unfortunately. A shame they don't put their efforts into helping mankind instead of destroying it for a some money.

Very deceiving of the NYT to make it sound as if musk was crying due to a mental breakdown. Note in the article it was at the time when he was talking about not getting to spend enough time with his children. One of his children died. He's done this in other interviews, which I'm sure the NYT is aware of, but they want to push the 'Elon gone crazy' angle at any cost.

Agreed. If you can just look past Muck Muck... The company as a whole is Looking good. I am going to wait a little longer to invest because after all the MUCK MUCK blows over and the quarter numbers come out. This stock is going to take off

Elon is good too. The reporting? Not so much. But that will be fixed with going private in the long run anyways so not concerned.

I contacted several people at the times and let them know about the tweet and how unprofessional that was. Others are advised to do the same. A journalist, bragging about hurting the stock after interviewing the CEO about his personal life? For crying out loud....
I was going to suggest we should all write to the ombudsman / Public Editor - then remembered NYT no longer has one.

FYI, we win.
Actually, this entire scenario smacks of classic bullying.
Something, everybody & society swears needs to be abolished!.
Yet, here it is and and our armchair experts are chiming in and participating. Kinda like, screw poor little Elon, teach him to try and play on our block.
Everyone knows that our society thinks this kind of treatment of Tesla is fine as long as we are making money.

BUT, this is Elon's life's work and we, the longs are rooting for him but we can't seem to be able to help him fight the liars and half truths.
Does Tesla need an adult running the company?
If Elon Musk left Tesla, the stock would go up: Expert
TSLA Headlines | Tesla, Inc. Stock - Yahoo Finance
Tesla reportedly gets a subpoena from SEC after Musk’s privatization tweet

This 'Bulling" is so much more than Tesla & making money, ask why is it ok to post half truths and out n' out lies but when a CEO is optimistic, we hold him to him to EXACTING facts and details?

EDIT: I must ask, What the hell is wrong with our society when we do this?

Holy sh*t! So the lead author of the NYT article is gloating on Twitter about the stock tanking because of his article about Elon?! Is this the friggin National Enquirer?

The amount of hatred and gloating on Ars Techica and Reddit regarding the NYTimes article was beyond anything I can remember. The allegations by the Times are feeding a herd mentality against Tesla in the mainstream.

I recommend that people go against the herd mentality. When herd fear is highest, holding and/or accumulating is the best move. I do continue to caution against taking risk beyond what is prudent given one’s personal financial situation.

Yet, here it is and and our armchair experts are chiming in and participating. Kinda like, screw poor little Elon, teach him to try and play on our block.
Everyone knows that our society thinks this kind of treatment of Tesla is fine as long as we are making money.

BUT, this is Elon's life's work and we, the longs are rooting for him but we can't seem to be able to help him fight the liars and half truths.

This 'Bulling" is so much more than Tesla & making money, ask why is it ok to post half truths and out n' out lies but when a CEO is optimistic, we hold him to him to EXACTING facts and details?

Simple answer in two words: Jim Chanos.

It’s my belief that American society is generally in a confused frenzy as the current order breaks down. The symptoms are similar to what happened when the USSR collapsed in 1991: people feeling purposeless, declining standards of living for the masses while oligarchs pillage the economy, and marked increase in suicides.

The relentless attacks on Elon Musk are a symptom of people being afraid. Afraid of change. Afraid of being left behind by a changing world they can barely comprehend. Afraid of becoming irrelevant.

People are lashing out at Tesla out of fear.

It’s my belief that American society is generally in a confused frenzy as the current order breaks down. The symptoms are similar to what happened when the USSR collapsed in 1991: people feeling purposeless, declining standards of living for the masses while oligarchs pillage the economy, and marked increase in suicides.

The relentless attacks on Elon Musk are a symptom of people being afraid. Afraid of change. Afraid of being left behind by a changing world they can barely comprehend. Afraid of becoming irrelevant.

People are lashing out at Tesla out of fear.
Since I work for one of The Big Three, the consensus is - Fear

It's something interesting I am studying about a democratic capitalist society. Making money and inflation is king. So it is inevitable foreign power will be able to gain influence. Whoever has more money can push their agenda to the detriment of the country. There's no loyalty to any race or nation as the population is made up of a mixture of race and nation.

In other countries, there are actually some respect for local large companies like Tesla. Sure, they might criticize their method and treatment of workers, but there are no overt plot for the downfall of said companies.

Today, tesla broke the record on Zerohedge. I count 4 negative articles. The previous max I observed was 3. I also forgot that today is opex day. It is only fitting that the stock touched the gap up price of 303 on an opex day.

Status
Not open for further replies.