Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The current downward movement is a bit fast by the way, even for my taste and given that there have been no additional bad news. At least none that i'd know of. Gut-feeling says i should prepare to take some profits soon, so i've set a trailing stop for a quarter of my position. Somehow the amount of downward pressure doesn't really fit the newsflow or i'm misjudging things again ... well, let's see how wrong i'm this time. :D

You don't have to agree with the $195 price target or their judgement regarding the privatization deal to see, that their logic is at least self-consistent.

I'm pretty sure they managed to make it seem self-consistent, but you can make pretty much any opinion seem 'self consistent' if you ignore or discount a sufficiently large portion of reality...

Ryan Brinkman is ignoring the following parts of reality, at minimum:
  • I quoted their arguments about German competition which they made back in April, which they did not update to recent negative events affecting German carmakers,
  • They also did not update their April valuation to improving Tesla fundamentals in the Q2 report and improving guidance for Q3.
These are glaring holes in their chain of logic they have provided no valid explanations for so far.

Occam's Razor suggest that Ryan Brinkman is talking J.P. Morgan's book: long GM and Ford, and maybe short TSLA. He is a highly rated analyst, so he could be taking one on the chin 'for the team' here.

Has anyone seen any hint of confirmation of the Saudi Lucid “term sheet.” ? All I can find is everyone citing the one Reuters article which is based on anonymous sources.

Perhaps the Saudis want to make multiple plays in the EV space, but investing in Lucid seems unlikely to me.

But if the concern is that a deal with Lucid indicates that the Saudis are no longer interested in Tesla, then what happened so fast? Did the Saudis freak out over how tired Elon is working late at the factory? Do they not like to be associated with people who choke up a few times in front of a reporter?

I’m attracted by another explanation: pure FUD.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and Lessmog
Public transportation isn't sustainable. It currently requires fossil fuels, which will run out. To even entertain the notion of sustainability, we first need to kick our addiciton to oil. And globally, Tesla is the company that's doing the most to make that a reality.

PT is sustainable because it's by far the most efficient transportation mode beyond walking and biking and they're all three made possible by dense living.

The degree to which fossil fuels are burned in the process varies with the system and how much bus use there is, but it's nonetheless a sustainable degree and it can be replaced with ease. For example in Oslo, we're only a few years away from zero use of fossil fuels in the PT vehicles.

You have to take into account the entire process and all causal chains when evaluating sustainability. Teslas don't magically appear out of thin air. Using PT is vastly more resource efficient than driving a Tesla.

Transportation based on cars leads to sprawling and space inefficient cities, all of which leads to an inefficient use of resources with poor effects on the local and global environment.

PT is sustainable because it's by far the most efficient transportation mode beyond walking and biking and they're all three made possible by dense living.

The degree to which fossil fuels are burned in the process varies with the system and how much bus use there is, but it's nonetheless a sustainable degree and it can be replaced with ease. For example in Oslo, we're only a few years away from zero use of fossil fuels in the PT vehicles.

You have to take into account the entire process and all causal chains when evaluating sustainability. Teslas don't magically appear out of thin air. Using PT is vastly more resource efficient than driving a Tesla.

Transportation based on cars leads to sprawling and space inefficient cities, all of which leads to an inefficient use of resources with poor effects on the local and global environment.

apologies, this doesn’t belong here. Please take it elsewhere

thanks

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
heard snippets on cnbc

they’re now advertising the elon personal line of credit he took against his tsla holdings of about 750mm
they said first margin call happens around 215-218

dunno how true any of it is, but they are clearly trying to get a ‘run on bank’ scenario going.

they are snakes
Liked your post to say "Agree", as for lack of a proper button.

Reactions: gene
Using PT is vastly more resource efficient than driving a Tesla.

Public transport is also vastly less enjoyable to a substantial proportion of humanity, especially in the U.S. and in many advanced western economies. (Which incidentally also generate much of the carbon pollution.)

It's much easier to transform drivers from gas guzzlers (which are vastly unsustainable) to Teslas (which are much more sustainable and will be fully sustainable in the future).

Also, your line of argument is a false dichotomy as well: Teslas can also be used as forms of public transport:
  • ride-sharing will improve the utilization of vehicles,
  • autonomy will further increase utilization and reduce resource consumption,
  • Teslas can be transported in the Boring Company's tunnels over larger distances, further reducing the overall resource footprint of a single car.
I.e. there's no contradiction between Tesla cars and future sustainability, in fact they go hand in hand: a nice car like a Tesla has already convinced many people how important it is to not pollute, which is a first, very important step towards sustainability.

Status
Not open for further replies.