Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't presume to read everything but I can't imagine why anyone would think that there would be near zero in transit ever with increasing production...that's just poor modeling.

He's just making up random stuff. There's no logic to it. Obviously inventory/transit increases with increasing production. There's no way around that. A little optimization here or there, but it's going to keep growing.

Reactions: SO16 and SpaceCash
I don't presume to read everything but I can't imagine why anyone would think that there would be near zero in transit ever with increasing production...that's just poor modeling. My bet would be 48-50k delivered for the quarter (more if they do something like only west coast for the last few weeks but I kinda doubt it) and the factor that will make Tesla profitable will be the much higher than what will be normal selling price. (forget the technical term)
In fact, there should be more cars in transit as the production ramps up.

I agree. But let’s think logically here. If 11K were in transit at the end of Q2, all 11K should have been sold in the first month(July) correct? Therefore, it means only 3K more were sold in July? Just seems strange. Again everyone is disagreeing, but it seems like a valid question. People are so defensive.

If delivery time is 3 weeks from factory to driveway, then the 11k in transit plus 3k from the first short week of production in July would be delivered (14k). The in-transit would then be the remainder of July's production (~13k (3*4.3)), which gets delivered in August along with the first week of August's production (~5k) for 18k deliveries. Now you have 3x4.5k = 13.5k for August plus the first week of September (5.5k) to deliver in Sept (~19k) for a total of 51k for Q3 plus ~17k in transit (3*5.5).

He's just making up random stuff. There's no logic to it. Obviously inventory/transit increases with increasing production. There's no way around that. A little optimization here or there, but it's going to keep growing.
There have been a number of bullish articles trying to formulate how Tesla can reach a profit in Q3. In almost all cases they were using 60,000 Model 3 deliveries in Q3. I think we can all agree that is unlikely to happen. But I still believe 56-57,000 might do it depending on the ASP.

If delivery time is 3 weeks from factory to driveway, then the 11k in transit plus 3k from the first short week of production in July would be delivered (14k). The in-transit would then be the remainder of July's production (~13k (3*4.3)), which gets delivered in August along with the first week of August's production (~5k) for 18k deliveries. Now you have 3x4.5k = 13.5k for August plus the first week of September (5.5k) to deliver in Sept (~19k) for a total of 51k for Q3 plus ~17k in transit (3*5.5).
You are close. The problem is 51,000 is not enough for a profit. Tesla has to deliver one extra week at least in September. I think it can be done by focusing deliveries close to CA or getting buyers to come there.

There have been a number of bullish articles trying to formulate how Tesla can reach a profit in Q3. In almost all cases they were using 60,000 Model 3 deliveries in Q3. I think we can all agree that is unlikely to happen. But I still believe 56-57,000 might do it depending on the ASP.

Luvb2b's model only requires 50,000 Model 3 deliveries in Q3, and shows a profit for Q3. I've seen a couple of other models which have similar results. I tend to believe them.

( q2-q4 2018 financial projections )

He assumes a pretty high ASP of $60K but based on what we've heard I believe that. The average purchase is an LR AWD with a non-black color and Enhanced Autopilot, which is over $60K; there seems to be more demand for the expensive Performance versions and the multi-coat paint than I might have expected, and less for the RWD, so it's probably going to be ballpark-right.

60K Model 3 delivered is really going to be needed in Q4 so as to show a *larger* profit, but that's another matter.

Last edited:
You are close. The problem is 51,000 is not enough for a profit. Tesla has to deliver one extra week at least in September. I think it can be done by focusing deliveries close to CA or getting buyers to come there.

How can you be so confident on how many they must deliver to be profitable while we guess by large percentages what the ASP will be and see random articles that they have reduced the labour by 30% per vehicle... At the end of the day neither of us know if 51k delivered (which I agree is a good guess at this point) will be enough for a profit. Never mind adding some ZEV credits and such.

I agree. But let’s think logically here. If 11K were in transit at the end of Q2, all 11K should have been sold in the first month(July) correct? Therefore, it means only 3K more were sold in July? Just seems strange. Again everyone is disagreeing, but it seems like a valid question. People are so defensive.
Supply chain lag and ability to get sold cars to customers is valid. Parking lot vigilantes make people a bit reactive. Do they have control of logistics now and are they getting cars to customers faster? From a cash flow perspective it’s important to deliver/sell the car in 30-45 days and get some float from vendors. That helps as sales grow fast to avoid needing credit for inventory.

How can you be so confident on how many they must deliver to be profitable while we guess by large percentages what the ASP will be and see random articles that they have reduced the labour by 30% per vehicle... At the end of the day neither of us know if 51k delivered (which I agree is a good guess at this point) will be enough for a profit. Never mind adding some ZEV credits and such.
There is a lot more data available than you realize. You just have to source it, dig it out, and plug it in.

OK, regarding that, worst case is that they fine *him personally*. I don't see a scenario under which they fine the company.

I hope you are correct. But he is the CEO. I know he says he was acting as an outside party trying to take Tesla private but I’m not sure that will fly. Time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.