Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So you are banking on positive earnings to cause the stock to go down in the short term. Uh... huh?!?!

Well, OK, yes, positive earnings should cause a rise, but why on earth would you expect it to cause a dip first, Donn? Care to explain?
Sure. Pick your largest tech companies Apple, Facebook, etc. and look at their P/E ratios. They are all in the low-mid double digits despite earning $billions. If Tesla had a $1/share annual profit in 2018 after two profitable quarters we could see a P/E ratio in the mid-hundreds (300-400). Once that becomes comparable to huge companies like the big techs people would realize how overvalued Tesla would be AT THAT POINT IN TIME. Those analysts who see the same thing see a pullback to the high $100's to low $200's, and then a growth in SP again from there tied to the P/E ratio at a more balanced rate. I do not see Tesla ever being compared to other automakers who all have single-digit to very low double-digit ratios. My gang also sees more dilution ahead pulling down the SP before the long ramp up. That is when we plan to go long. Linking to a measuring stick, so to speak, should also end the violent swings in share price. That should send short sellers off to other stocks to plunder.

The best analogy I can give is shifting from first to second gear in a car (with a manual transmission). A brief drop in RPM before the next gear propels the car forward at a higher speed but lower RPM, getting back to that high RPM again at a faster speed.

Last edited:
It affects indirect-leased vehicles. I guess getting rid of these would be a motivation to terminate existing indirect leases, now that I think about it.

I don't think Tesla has control over them, but it also probably doesn't matter much in practice for two reasons:

Firstly, the totality of resale value guarantees only represent about $139m in value for the next year:

"Subsequent to June 30, 2016, this program is available only in certain international markets. Resale value guarantees available for exercise within the 12 months following June 30, 2018 totaled $139.3 million in value."
... and that would be direct sales and third party leases.

Secondly, the vast majority of resale value guarantees expire without being exercised:

"Through 2017, we only had an insignificant number of customers who exercised their resale value guarantees and returned their vehicles to us. Based on current market demand for our vehicles, we estimate the resale prices for our vehicles will continue to be above our resale value guarantee amounts."​

I.e. the current approx $674m of resale value guarantee liabilities on the balance sheet are listed at 100% per GAAP, but in reality represent an effective liability of less than 5% of that.

I.e. Tesla is applying inventory reduction measures that BMW and Volkswagen is performing too at the end of their quarters, which carmakers do in part to recognize more revenue, but also to gain a margin-leveraged cash flow advantage from reducing inventory at the end of the quarter.

Here's a graph showing how BMW does end of quarter inventory management, the fluctuation is significant, BMW sales volume goes up by about 30% before quarter end, most likely due to inventory push measures by dealers.

Tesla has much higher gross margins than other carmakers so the cash flow advantage from managing inventory at the end of quarters is even bigger. Them doing this could have a potential upside for Q3 cash flow.

• Informative
Reactions: dondy and neroden
Third quarter delivery numbers are less than a month away; third quarter financials about two months and a week away.

Actually:
  • third quarter delivery numbers are about three trading weeks away
  • Q3 financials are about 8 trading weeks away, not 9
Time is flying by! :D

Dear shorts: tick-tock ...

If Tesla had a $1/share annual profit in 2018 after two profitable quarters we could see a P/E ratio in the mid-hundreds (300-400).

This kind of broken math and tortured logic is the latest fixation shorts/bears have over at SA, and I have a hard time deciding whether it's amusingly naive or just plain out ridiculous wishful thinking. Probably both.

Are you really trying to make the argument that if Tesla made exactly $0 EPS then the forward P/E ratio would go to infinity and people would invest based on that? That people are unable to see just 2-3 more quarters into the future when making valuations? 2-3 more years? 2-3 more decades?

The fact is:
  • Current EPS is burdened by temporary expenses of the massive +500% manufacturing capacity expansion, which one-time costs are fading out. While positive EPS obviously matters psychologically, the real deal that drives valuation is free cash flow after the Model 3 ramp-up. Even at 4k/week Model 3 output Tesla has a cash generation ability of 1 billion dollars per quarter - which is $4b annual and thus a low P/E ratio of around 12. If that cash generation ability gets confirmed by Q3 financials then fair valuation with historic long-term fair P/E values of 15-20 would be somewhere around $350-$470.
  • But it gets better: once the current Model 3 related capex payments start phasing out early next year, cash flow improves to around $1.5b/quarter, even at comparatively low ~6k/week Model 3 production rates. That corresponds to annual cash generation of $6b, which maps to a fair $TSLA value of about $530-$705 per share.
  • But it gets even better: at 10k/week Model 3 output Tesla will be generating over of $8b of cash annually, which maps to a fair value of over $700-$941 per share.
That doesn't include any revenue growth premium (which will be significant as revenue grows from the current ~12b to over 30b annual), storage/energy business growth, or autonomy business (AI chip) related growth - all of which could lever up the valuation significantly, in addition to all the other factors above.

There are massive valuation upsides, with short term valuation primarily depending on Tesla's ability to generate cash.

You trying to apply broken valuation math to an artificially low $1 EPS would probably earn you an 'F' in primary school already.

Last edited:
Elon Musk just smoked the 420$ weed live on Joe Rogan and also made the following statement:

Joe: "What keeps you always allive at night?"
Musk :" Well you know, it is really hard staying alive as a car company".

The interview is just over now and I've fully watched it. What came to my attention is a from the start very stressed out and tired Elon Musk that does not like to laugh a lot like he used to do in the past. Furthermore, it seemed to me like Joe was speaking a lot of the time as Elon is just giving short answers as he is probably thinking about other stuff on his mind that is stressing him. I do think the whole interview is a positive for Elon as a person (his characteristics) to remain on the ground and remain "human" and an average person. However, from an investors standpoint, I do not see any positives in this interview rather than even more potential attack points that will come up today (smoking weed, hard to stay alive as a car company, stressed out Elon etc.).

Just my honest opinion.

Last edited:
Elon Musk just smoked the 420$ weed live on Joe Rogan and also made the following statement:

Joe: "What keeps you always allive at night?"
Musk :" Well you know, it is really hard staying alive as a car company".

Just listened. Elon sounded good and sincere. Not sure these two points would be my takeaway. The man is no executive robot, very human which makes him very likeable.

Forgive my rant.

I'm not happy at all about the short interest going down dramatically.

For all the damage shorts caused, they need to be SEVERELY punished. However, it seems like they're winning.

1. They successfully pushed down the stock price, spread all this FUD, and tarnish Tesla's brand.
2. They are getting away with this, as they're able to cover at very low prices
3. Not only that, they managed to cover millions of shares while STILL decreasing the stock price instead of increasing the stock price dramatically
4. They are destroying Elon as a person, and it is working, even though what he is doing is arguably some of the most effective and beneficial work for humanity and Earth.

WTF????

The big shorts need to be LOSING THEIR SHIRTS! It's one thing shorting to make a profit from trading, that's fine. I do that too. But it's another thing to create massive amounts of FUD and be the driver of negativity. That makes my blood boil. And seeing them get away with it by covering at ridiculously low prices, exactly what they intended, is beyond unjust.

I feel so bad for Elon, and I can't even imagine the psychological torture he is enduring for giving up a perfect opportunity to roast the shorts for the good of the institutional shareholders. I hope the market will be unusually kind to him starting Q3 2018.

Remember, there are still +32 million short shares of pain left. And I'd say it's likely they'll increase the shorting as soon as we start recovering...

And it's the smart shorts that have covered. It's the dumb ones that are left behind and that will join once the share price starts going up. So plenty of fun left, just don't despair...

Last edited:
Forgive my rant.

I'm not happy at all about the short interest going down dramatically.

For all the damage shorts caused, they need to be SEVERELY punished. However, it seems like they're winning.

1. They successfully pushed down the stock price, spread all this FUD, and tarnish Tesla's brand.
2. They are getting away with this, as they're able to cover at very low prices
3. Not only that, they managed to cover millions of shares while STILL decreasing the stock price instead of increasing the stock price dramatically
4. They are destroying Elon as a person, and it is working, even though what he is doing is arguably some of the most effective and beneficial work for humanity and Earth.

WTF????

The big shorts need to be LOSING THEIR SHIRTS! It's one thing shorting to make a profit from trading, that's fine. I do that too. But it's another thing to create massive amounts of FUD and be the driver of negativity. That makes my blood boil. And seeing them get away with it by covering at ridiculously low prices, exactly what they intended, is beyond unjust.

I feel so bad for Elon, and I can't even imagine the psychological torture he is enduring for giving up a perfect opportunity to roast the shorts for the good of the institutional shareholders. I hope the market will be unusually kind to him starting Q3 2018.

I do completely agree with you and I feel exactly the same way as you do. As I am a bull having currently a loss of 75'000$ sitting on 2'500 shares... I do not think I deserve this book loss and shorts making money from a 380$ drop to 280$.

• Funny
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
That last paragraph is an insight masterclass and I can't agree more.

Sure, the financial justice system is corrupt as hell, but as you said there is real incentive for the exchanges to punish Left, and I really hope he gets it. He's been nailed in Hong Kong already for issuing false reports, so we know he is a criminal.

That said, I must have missed an article. Why is it obvious that Left is the one behind the FUD? I saw that he sued Musk for damages on the go private tweet, but that doesn't prove he's the source of a lot of the FUD.

OK, we haven't proven that he's the source of *all* of the FUD, but he's been linked to Linette Lopez already, and he has a specific *history* of spreading FUD against companies he's attacking, *and* this lawsuit *itself* is essentially an attempt to spread FUD against Tesla (because he has no case against Tesla at all and an extremely weak, unprovable case against Musk), which means he's outed himself.

Personally, I also disike to disagree without explaining why. Not that 'voting' reputation means anything but its just annoying when people disagree but can't challenge your point.
When I use the button I clarify why — EXCEPT for those who have proven they are trolling. Those of the troll ilk wouldn’t know what to do with an explanation anyway since they’d just ignore it or pivot to a new topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.