Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sold my 100 shares of NIO at +82%. That was a fun day. Wish I had bought 1000 or 10,000 shares.
Ok yall, now that you’ve made your millions from NIO in one day, I need you to sell all your remaining shares tomorrow and prop up TSLA so all of us here can have a great weekend. Thanks in advance.

Congrats and By the way, how did you guys do research on NIO, are there any threads on it? Not sure how you guys decided to buy a relatively unknown chinese company when huge tarriff is likely coming.

Screen Shot 2018-09-13 at 5.01.40 PM.png

This is interesting. I just got an email from Tesla repeating the old news that some colors are being discontinued, but they added that cars for anyone ordering now "will be produced on an expedited basis" with delivery "as soon as 2-4 weeks". It sounds like they are going to produce these two colors for the rest of the quarter, perhaps exclusively.

That has interesting implications for the EoQ production, since we know these colors are hard to do. Seems like Tesla might be biting the bullet here and planning to chew away on these hard colors for the rest of the month to get them out of the way, and then go full steam in Q4.

There's many possible explanations for this, such as decreasing inventory to improve the books for the Q3 ER, or vice versa - giving up meeting production goals and instead setting up for a better Q4, or not wanting to get too far ahead of deliveries since that's the bottleneck now. Bears and bulls alike can write their own interpretation.

I thought the hard to do colors were triple coat pearls particularly the red because the red is also in the clear coat.

The discontinued colors are standard metallic like four of the remaining colors plus non metallic black.
Could be a supplier problem somehow affecting availability and/or cost of the paint. Perhaps the formulation they used is no longer going to be possible for some reason and the next best option is more expensive ... so they're trying to get rid of what's left while they can, rather than take up logistics space with never-used paint.

Reactions: wipster
That has interesting implications for the EoQ production, since we know these colors are hard to do. Seems like Tesla might be biting the bullet here and planning to chew away on these hard colors for the rest of the month to get them out of the way, and then go full steam in Q4.

I thought the hard to do colors were triple coat pearls particularly the red because the red is also in the clear coat.

The discontinued colors are standard metallic like four of the remaining colors plus non metallic black.

As stated these are not "hard to do" multi-coat colors, these are standard metallic colors. According to the following quote from the email they are not actually being discontinued but are in-fact being moved to "limited edition" additional cost status so just another margin increase.
Starting Friday, Metallic Silver and Obsidian Black Metallic will only be offered as off-menu, limited edition colors at $2,000.

Bezos might even be privately dismayed at how Musk is being handled by the media, and he might not have any stake or influence at BI anymore to stop it.
I think the truth probably is that Bezos doesn't pay close attention to things like this. Bezos is probably more interested in figuring out how to respond to Sander's serious accusations (and thus today's headline about Bezos committing $2B on some charity) than what some journalists write about some other company's CEO. After all he doesn't even respond to various things Trump says or what WaPo writes about Trump.

Unlike for most of us - the world doesn't revolve around Musk.

If its 15$ tomorrow I will be 100% out at that level. We'll probably see something under 10$ again very soon, 8$ isn't even out of the question.

Post market was still strong. Driving upto 13.50 a share. I picked up a bunch early today. Couldn't stop watching it... didn't get any work dont today.... woooo what a day. I dont doubt for one second we see it level out at 25 bucks a share.

Tesla stock has been slow all week. Looked like it was going to take off a few times but always pulled back. I dont see much happening with Tesla until we get closer to see some new quarter figures released. That or a huge software release Tesla could be a 3000+ stock in the next few years.

Nice article but as usual he got something wrong when he said this:

"Tesla soon will face formidable competition from the German juggernauts, Mercedes, Porsche, BMW and Audi. Technically they will be able to match everything Tesla has done."

No they can't match everything Tesla has done...not by a long mile.

Edit...I was talking about this article:

How I Drank the Tesla Kool-Aid and Became a Believer

Seems like they guided pretty realistically for Q3, expecting not to be averaging 5,000/week through the quarter, but rather closer to 4,000/wk. They are having significant delivery bottleneck issues at the current level of production that they need to work through. I'm glad they appear to be on track for meeting guidance this quarter with such staggering growth.

I think , assuming current production is lower, and based on pictures of trucks leaving the plant it seems more like 5000 than 3000, but, if they are below 5000 it seems like it’s to make more AWD and performance and clear out inventory of possible extra standard long range. Last quarter ended with a billion in inventory. If they cut that in half, cash flow will be huge. With more deliveries than produced profits will be enhanced and they can reduce overtime and focus on getting the new Grohmann systems in place, fixing the paint factory and other Fremont automation systems on GA3 and get the supply chain under control. So, there are lots of processes ready to ramp up and opportunities with a modest slowdown.
Production of 3500 a week until October 1st would allow clearing supply chain, reducing overtime, optimization of Fremont paint and GA3 and getting ready for production of up to 8000 packs a week in early Q4. At the current pace they’ll make about 53,000 Model 3’s and sell closer to 60,000 and make 27,000 or more X/S and possibly sell more than that.

Nice article but as usual he got something wrong when he said this:

"Tesla soon will face formidable competition from the German juggernauts, Mercedes, Porsche, BMW and Audi. Technically they will be able to match everything Tesla has done."

No they can't match everything Tesla has done...not by a long mile.

Edit...I was talking about this article:

How I Drank the Tesla Kool-Aid and Became a Believer
The thing is - they actually can. But they won't - because that means taking a lot of money away from their ICE cars and putting that money with little hope of any positive ROI in the near term. At this point it is really toe dipping for them.

I'll change my opinion when any of them can make a EV version of their most selling model, sell it for the same price as ICE and credibly point to similar volume production plans.

Status
Not open for further replies.