Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a feeling that this thing is bottoming out, I don't see it falling through 52 weeks low. But maybe I am wrong, because options are still crazy expensive
Uh, WHAT options are expensive? Call premium has literally cratered. One can buy an Oct 275$ for 2%, an oct 300$ for LESS than .5%. That's HALF of 1%. Compared to recent history, this is NOTHING.

Even heading out to Nov to capture earnings, premium at 300$ is 2.25%..that's nothing, it's less than a 4th of the price it was a couple months ago. If one is bullish, options are the absolute best place to buy, but one has to be really bullish at this point.

If that 300$ gets down to 2%, it's probably a decent roll of the dice, but I find the option markets better at predicting future pricing that SP, so having it hit is going to be a long shot - if the indication is correct.

Could also be a lottery ticket, but I rarely play the lottery.

• Love
Reactions: neroden
For crying out loud - The Economist is one of the most credible publications, period, and has been extremely positive about Tesla in the past. I've been reading it for nearly 3 decades, your comment is without merit. If you paint every new outlet that is remotely critical or even simply skeptical of Tesla as 'not credible', you'll spend your life in a fan boy echo chamber.

Comments like yours would make anyone who hasn't read the article think it's some scathing attack on Tesla or Elon Musk. it's actually not - it simply says something we've all known for a while, which is Tesla could do with a very strong "nuts and bolts" COO who can oversee production, so Musk can focus on product development (quote from the Economist "He [Musk] is a brilliant product developer".

Additionally The Economist was practically the only publication to actually report that Musk had indeed agreed a plan with the Sovereign Wealth Fund, but did not have paperwork with bankers to back it up to the SEC. Almost no other serious publication said that.

I haven't read the article(link?), but from what you're saying here, it seems like he already has that in Jerome as President of Automotive. Why would he need yet another person to do the same task?

I maybe asking for trouble here but let me vouch for beachbum77 dispite of the fact I disagree with him all the time. It is important to hear the other side of the argument when it is presented in a calm and elaborative manner. he present the complete argument most of the time, unlike some troll who just repeat stupid sound bites.
Absolutely not. He's repetitive, annoying, and paid-to-post. Frankly you're sus as well.

AMZN has increased by a factor of 4x during the same time period.

I have the car and I'm all for saving the world but I also need to think of my own retirement. At some point I will need to cut my losses and abandon my stake in TSLA. Elon is welcome to keep tweeting all he wants, I'm waiting in theory through Q3 and maybe Q4 results and if nothing happens to SP it will be time to close my position and walk away.

I'm not running a charity and Elon has not shown he cares one bit about his investors and I'm tired on the dirty game being played to destroy the company. It's not fun and the last 2 years it never has been. I could have just quietly invested in evil instead and made 4x returns in the time good has yielded nothing. That's the bottom line, evil always wins because good is dumb. Just look at the Kavanaugh saga.

I'm not about to try telling someone else how to live so I trust and hope that no one takes offense to this. Just trying to offer a bit of perspective.

1. Evil companies make more money. Its a fact. When my wife first got an investment account there was a bit of a discussion around this. I took the stance you do, but she insisted in not investing in any company whose morals or ethics were questionable. In the end it was her money and I stayed out of it. She drove the advisor crazy :)

2. Good companies can be profitable. Its a fact. Look at what Tesla is achieving. It may not be reflected in the stock price, but they are or will shortly be profitable. While it is easier to be an amoral shark who looks out for number one and the rest can go a fly a kite, the more difficult path can be done.

In the end, to me it is very much like parenting. As a parent you really have no idea what effect what you say or do will have on your progeny. As a parent, my motto is "try to be the kind of parent you want to be" without getting caught up in evaluating your performance.

My take on the stock market is fairly similar. Sure, I could gamble on evil companies because they are more likely to turn a higher profit more quickly, but I'd rather gamble on good companies because I feel like I'm a better person. I'm "trying to be the kind of investor I want to be."

For what its worth, a stock my wife insisted on investing in on the basis of personal belief ended up doing really well. Unfortunately, I was (deliberately) ignoring the entire thing and she was also ignoring it (felt out of her depth). So there was a bubble, followed by a crash. We still netted a nice profit (thanks to $TSLA renewing my interest in the market so we bailed before we lost more) but not what it could have been.

For me the moral of this is simple: invest how it feels right/best to you, and watch your stocks!

I'm 26 years old and from Istanbul. As I've repeated on my previous posts; I've put whatever I've made and put on the side to TSLA. Most of the extra money that I managed to put to aside was made by Tesla or EV related businesses. (I'm an EV/Tesla vlogger and community's founder in the country)

I bought in I think more than a month ago at 275$. Sold at 302$ to switch brokers. Luckily the SEC dip happened when I was still transferring the money between brokerages. Then I bought in again at 270$. It was all fun and games when agreeing with SEC pushed us all the way to 316. I didn't put a stop loss either since I am long but now it is starting to look worrisome.

I'm not going to need this money for at least 12 months so I don't care about short term. Even if I lose everything and TSLAQ really becomes a reality I don't care about losing my money on something I so deeply believe in. As long as it doesn't happen due to reckless behavior of Tesla's C level executives. (*cough* Elon)

People always criticize this 'cult' and I agree there are some edge cases here and there that make us look creepy but overall what sticks us together are these fantastic products and the vision we see. Tesla's mission of 'accelerating the advent to sustainable transport' is already complete. So we should focus on what Tesla's competitive advantages are. Elon always says what makes a company competitive is their pace of innovation. Protecting your leadership by patents, lawsuits or being the first to market is destined to fail. So I'm excited to see what they have up their sleeves in the coming days. Something tells me tricks the size/impact of old era might be over but we never know. Here's to hoping Tesla becoming the next VW, not next GM or Ford. (from the European POV of American cars)
1 year is a pretty short timeline...anything can happen(globally,Twitter explosion etc.) If Tesla makes it through the next year, 10 banger in 10 years is on...but again much can happen over the next year.

Reactions: jasonb and hobbes
If the SP price stays depressed for too long, it will become a retention issue.

I asked this of employees in Tempe last week. They are still very confident and long as most of us here are.

Ever try to get a job at Tesla? I can't even get a response and I've tried numerous angles at getting their attention.

I get almost a heart attack every time a tweet from Elon comes in

Hey, it’s a good way to get cardio without having to go to all the trouble of going to the gym to get on the treadmill and have to look at all the beautiful people then stop at MickeyDs on your way home to drown your depression in calories and not-a-real food group....not that I have any firsthand knowledge or experience. No, really. I’m just throwing that out there. Never mind. Pretend you didn’t read that.

For crying out loud - The Economist is one of the most credible publications, period, and has been extremely positive about Tesla in the past. I've been reading it for nearly 3 decades, your comment is without merit. If you paint every news outlet that is remotely critical or even simply skeptical of Tesla as 'not credible', you'll spend your life in a fan boy echo chamber.

Comments like yours would make anyone who hasn't read the article think it's some scathing attack on Tesla or Elon Musk. it's actually not - it simply says something we've all known for a while, which is Tesla could do with a very strong "nuts and bolts" COO who can oversee production, so Musk can focus on product development (quote from the Economist "He [Musk] is a brilliant product developer".

Additionally The Economist was practically the only publication to actually report that Musk had indeed agreed a plan with the Sovereign Wealth Fund, but did not have paperwork with bankers to back it up to the SEC. Almost no other serious publication said that.
Where’s the retweet button? The Economist is the gold standard. I don’t know if it’s Rothschild owned, but it’s been solid for a long time and the Rothschild’s have held on to their wealth for a 1000 years, so that’s street cred to some people.

I’m long, but wish I pared some holdings at the 420 tweet. I’d be jumping back in now if I had.

• Informative
Ford, an Automaker at a Crossroads, Seeks Cuts and Partners

Ford dying.

Not a matter of IF but WHEN.

Ford should take whatever money they have left and invest in Tesla.

Marrying Tesla batteries and drivetrains to F150's may not be completely efficient and optimal at the start. However, it would be an amazing stop gap until they can jointly produce a truck built around EV technology.

Agreed.

Given the optimistic tone of this automaker-in-distress article I find it noteworthy that it was written by the writer of the rather differently toned piece on how the Shorty Air Force discovered many Model 3's in places they could not quite explain but happily speculated about: "Unraveling a Tesla Mystery: Lots (and Lots) of Parked Cars".

Another useful idiot: Neal E. Boudette

Uh, WHAT options are expensive? Call premium has literally cratered. One can buy an Oct 275$ for 2%, an oct 300$ for LESS than .5%. That's HALF of 1%. Compared to recent history, this is NOTHING.

Even heading out to Nov to capture earnings, premium at 300$ is 2.25%..that's nothing, it's less than a 4th of the price it was a couple months ago. If one is bullish, options are the absolute best place to buy, but one has to be really bullish at this point.

If that 300$ gets down to 2%, it's probably a decent roll of the dice, but I find the option markets better at predicting future pricing that SP, so having it hit is going to be a long shot - if the indication is correct.

Could also be a lottery ticket, but I rarely play the lottery.

I think OCT 275 are toast, I guess the earning call will be on Oct 26. Before earnings 275 is very unlikely. Only if Oct 19 Saudi battery deal announcement is real thing, which I kinda doubt.

I haven't read the article(link?), but from what you're saying here, it seems like he already has that in Jerome as President of Automotive. Why would he need yet another person to do the same task?

He's not the COO - 'oversee production' was just me using an inappropriate simile, but the spirit of the article was really that. They would benefit from someone like like Tim Cook at Apple, a COO with teeth and independence who can manage logistics front to back.

• Informative
Status
Not open for further replies.