Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why Tesla skeptics are feeling so good — CNN Business

I feel sorry for these guys(not). Is this all they got? Too little demand? Too much luxury? Everybody I talk to wants a model 3, and I live in northern Rockies, not LA. If there is so little demand, why is almost every automaker trying to catch up.

Timed perfectly for our reading pleasure at the MMD.

Chanos is complaining that Tesla is only selling the $60k version of the Model 3. ' "I would remind you that that's the car that was supposed to be sold for $35,000." Chanos said.'

And, let me guess... this is... bad?

Chanos is complaining that Tesla is only selling the $60k version of the Model 3. ' "I would remind you that that's the car that was supposed to be sold for $35,000." Chanos said.'

Isn't it weird how the only people who WE ever hear angrily shouting "WHERE'S THE $35K MODEL 3, TESLA???" are shorts?

Sure, there are plenty of people waiting for SR, or non-PUP, or even SR+non-PUP. But almost nobody ever buys a fully unoptioned car. People waiting for a US-spec Model 3 with zero options (black 18" SR non-PUP RWD non-EAP non-tow non-air suspension) are surely no more than a couple percent of the total.

Last edited:
I think you forgot to add the group that was "I just liquidated my 401K to buy more TESLA stock - 420 baby!"
And, "I just took a 2nd mortgage and will buy more stock here (370$) going to 420 baby!"

Read back through this thread and you'll find those posts from members. I and many others said "do NOT take a 2nd mortgage to buy more TESLA stock", etc. And, I should add were summarily smacked down hard.

Sadly, THAT group is clearly in the LOST money category. Now, some might argue "well, you haven't lost money till you sold", but for the person who took out a 2nd, or HELOC (there was one of those as well) they are paying signifiant interest on those loans and holding a stock that is now hmm, 30% less than what it was? And possibly going lower.

Granted as well. Some, many, possibly all of those posts could have been simple hyperbole. We don't know, some I believe were not as they have re-engaged with their current state or misery.
I liquidated my entire portfolio and bought $100k of Tesla after the tweet. And as it went down to the lower $300s I put in another $100k... and then he canceled the go private. I’m just holding and hoping at this point

Not only is it not bad, it’s not even true. Why does everybody forget that you can order one for $49k(before incentives) right now? What’s worse: it wasn’t even Chanos that talked about the supposed $60k price tag. The reporter did.

Hey, today brought a lemur! ;)

Love Nature, True to Nature commission “Gangs of Lemur Island”

Love Nature, a joint venture with Blue Ant Media and Smithsonian Networks, has greenlit and commissioned the nature docuseries Gangs of Lemur Island with Bristol-based prodco True to Nature.

The 5 x 50-minute wildlife soap follows four warring troops of ring-tailed lemurs in Madagascar. The gangs — the Museum Gang, the Ruins Gang, the Yalygate Gang and The Hangar Gang — fight each other daily to protect turf and family, led by matriarchal gang bosses.

• Informative
Reactions: Lessmog
Paragraph 4 of the settlement between the SEC and Tesla [Defendant] says, in part:

"4. Defendant agrees that it shall not seek or accept, directly or indirectly, reimbursement or indemnification from any source, including but not limited to payment made pursuant to any insurance policy, with regard to any civil penalty amounts that Defendant pays pursuant to the Final Judgement, regardless of whether such penalty amounts or any part thereof are added to a distribution fund or otherwise used for the benefit of investors. [....]"
Sale of equity at market prices is not reimbursement nor indemnification, even if the $20m figure and the timing of the equity sale is obviously not accidental. Tesla's Q4 bottom line income is still harmed by -$20m due to the settlement forced upon them by the SEC.

And yes, literal wording is 90% of contract law, it's the reason why even routine consumer contracts can be hundreds of pages long. Neither Elon nor Tesla has any obligation to go beyond the four corners of the contract between them and the SEC. It's patently obvious that they disagree with the intent of the SEC, plainly expressed in the lawsuit, which was to help short seller anti-shareholders at the expense of Tesla shareholders.

The way I look at it things happened likely one of two ways:
  1. Elon said I don't want Tesla financials to suffer as a result of this fine, so to make Tesla whole I want to buy $20 million of newly issued stock.
  2. Tesla said we don't want this fine to impact our financials so we are going to sell $20 million of new stock. Elon then stepped up and said that he would buy the stock.
In scenario #1 Elon is clearly indirectly reimbursing Tesla. In scenario #2 he is not.

All I'm saying is that once the sale of stock goes through don't be surprised if the SEC asks for records to try to determine how the stock sale idea was decided upon.

Reactions: SpaceCash
Elon M$sk?
Can someone explain this mug speculation. I looked up the Marain alphabet and the last visible letter certainly looks like it would be 'uh.' Which would make sense, it spells his name: Eelohn Muhsk. Why would he put anything else on a mug? And I also don't believe that picture means anything other than "look at this cool mug." Now, the lemur - I'm leaning towards SpaceX on that one but that is a really strange tease. Still, I'm wondering second stage reusability using something learned from the way lemurs move or something like that.

Hey, today brought a lemur! ;)

Love Nature, True to Nature commission “Gangs of Lemur Island”

Love Nature, a joint venture with Blue Ant Media and Smithsonian Networks, has greenlit and commissioned the nature docuseries Gangs of Lemur Island with Bristol-based prodco True to Nature.

The 5 x 50-minute wildlife soap follows four warring troops of ring-tailed lemurs in Madagascar. The gangs — the Museum Gang, the Ruins Gang, the Yalygate Gang and The Hangar Gang — fight each other daily to protect turf and family, led by matriarchal gang bosses.

I'd laugh my ass so hard if it turns out Elon was literal about the lemur and he has a hidden passion for this wide-eyed animal!

Honestly, given the macro environment, I think $TSLA is holding up quite well. I would point to $NFLX as an example - absolutely bossed their earnings and look at it now...
I agree. After looking at the chart for the Nasdaq, I was ready for a bloodbath when I then clicked on TSLA. Shorts must have used up quite a bit of their firepower on the earlier morning dip.

• Informative
Reactions: Fact Checking
Status
Not open for further replies.