Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks like the German government is getting more and more annoyed about the behaviour of the German car industry.

Yesterday German minister Peter Altmaier said the following during a meeting:
It was a nice round: Economics Minister Peter Altmaier (CDU) and the CEOs Herbert Diess of Volkswagen and Dieter Zetsche of Daimler sat together with Axel Springer CEO Mathias Döpfer. At the end of a publishing event by Axel Springer, the four discussed the future of mobility, e-cars and autonomous driving.

For one and a half hours they discussed in Berlin, it was laughed quite well. Then, in the penultimate question of Döpfner, Altmaier suddenly took off. "German cars have always been sexy: BMW, Mercedes and even the VW Beetle in the 60s," said the minister. And then: "I really wonder when you, Mr. Zetsche, or you, Mr. Diess, or Mr. Krüger of BMW will be able to build an electric car that is only half as sexy as a Tesla. As far as the appeal of their e-cars is concerned, you could actually bring in some fresh ideas."
It follows an abrupt change of topic

The two CEOs said nothing at first - or at least the interview, which then appeared in the "Welt am Sonntag", no answer. An abrupt change of subject follows the Altmaier quote. Volkswagen boss Herbert Diess had previously acknowledged a backlog in the development of autonomously driving cars. One must admit that about the Google subsidiary Waymo in driverless vehicles one to two years ahead, he said. "But we are determined to catch up. The game is not lost yet. "He pointed out that much depends on state regulation.
Link to full article in German language.

German car companies will do what they want because they know they are all "Too Big To Fail".

Reactions: cheshire cat
Can somebody please update me on the convertible notes? It’s about $900 million worth that’s due in March, right? But if the TSLA price stays above ~360 conversion is likely, right?

As Tesla prefers to pay back the notes rather than have them converted, shouldn’t Tesla pay them back as early as possible in order to avoid conversion?

And would this be released as public information? I mean, could we get a press release any day now saying that $900 million worth of notes are paid back?

Tesla can pay the notes back in cash even if the holder opts to convert. (It just changes the amount of money Tesla pays, but they have hedged, to a point, to cover that difference.) So there is really no reason for them to pay them off early.

Last edited:
Tesla can pay the notes back in cash even if the holder opts to convert. (It just changes the amount of money Tesla pays, but they have hedged to cover that difference.) So there is really no reason for them to pay them off early.
They are hedged up to $500 or so. Therefore as a long term investor who would like to avoid dilution I'm hoping the market doesn't recover too much before the Q4 report. $500 really wouldn't be a huge move from here if tech stocks rebound.

Spiegel sounds totally nutty to me. Raving lunatic obsessive stuff. If I was his family I'd actually be concerned for him

Capture-2018-11-20-23-16-23.png

lol...with re: to Spiegel, a takeoff on an old joke: "how to become a millionaire"? Have Spiegel manage your tens of millions.

You miss what is bought for the Billion invested. It is more shares for the same investment. Market cap is shrinking.
When the market is going down, investors can sell one stock and buy another (and some others are doing it the other way round). So, the market caps all around can go down without anyone taking out any money - since it wasn't real money to start with.

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Status
Not open for further replies.