Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m very concerned about Troy’s revised lower production estimate of ~55k for the quarter.

I know we may be able to come up with arguments against, or justifications, but I don’t think there’s any doubt it was a huge piece of negative information. None of the bulls here would have predicted a production of less than 5k/week sustained in q4 after a 5k/week peak way back in Q2.

I’m hopeful the reason is European homologation or slow downs in preparation for SR production. I am scared that it is because of lower demand. I just received an email from Tesla,that I could still get delivery in q4 if I ordered now. They have been doing this for 6 weeks now.

I asked carsonight (the poster on Electrek who seems to have connections with employees on the Panasonic side of GF), and here’s his response:

“I have heard mixed messages. On the one hand, on the Tesla side they worked through Thanksgiving and were worried about
Christmas. Since Thanksgiving, though, there have been a total of 3 days I know of when Model 3 battery production has been halted.”

It shouldn't be a concern that Tesla nearly exhausted the near term order book for $46k+ cash sales models in the US. The fact that Tesla have persuaded c.150k people to trade up from a $35k reservation to a $57k average sales price is pretty spectacular, but they were always going to have to increase their addressable market size sooner or later.

To begin with, lease options generally increase demand 30-50% and is an easy move to increase demand for the current $46k product range in the US.
Tesla can significantly increase addressable market size again by launching in Europe and Asia. The European luxury market is 2x US and China EV market c.4x US.
They will also significantly increase the market size in the US by launching lower optioned cars. The US addressable market size roughly doubles for every $5k reduction in ASP. The cheapest model 3 is $46k currently but they appear on track to release options down to $35k in around 6 months.

So Tesla only need long term of 1-2k US weekly sales of the currently available $46k+ options to map to around 10k weekly worldwide sales across all models including lease option.

All the while, Tesla's primary sales force, its model 3 customer fleet is growing rapidly.

If needs be, as a last resort Tesla can always turn to advertising to drive demand to production capacity.

Thank you, yes i hope Tesla signs some strong leasing partnerships.

While Tesla mostly use partners for model S/X leases, they still sold 2,500 S/X through their in-house leasing program in Q3 (c.$150m cash cost).

I doubt the illiquid partner you mention (MUSA) was a significant % of Tesla's lease sales, they were only with Tesla for a few months.

Tesla appears to finance most of its in-house, direct leases via its Warehouse Line facility (possibly with some arrangements with its Auto VIEs to harvest Federal Income Tax EV credits). The WH line unpaid principal amount increased by $158.3 MM in 3Q18.

MUSA's role is vague--there is one post on TMC stating his lease was "assigned" to MUSA.

Moodys' Pre-Sale for TALT 2018 B stated Tesla Finance uses LeaseDimensions, Inc., wholly owned by Genpact Ltd. as its sub-servicer, with Wells Fargo Bank, N.A. as the back-up servicer.

When Tesla first started offering leases through its "banking affiliates" US Bank, Technical Credit Union, and a 3rd entity I can't recall were the principal beneficiaries of Tesla's residual value guarantees--most of that has been phased out.

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...cation_terms_and_conditions_jc_07-24-2018.pdf

Last edited:
Lora links to an extremely +ve Tesla article for a change!

Lora Kolodny on Twitter

Experte Dudenhöffer: Tesla Model 3 wird 2019 den deutschen E-Auto-Markt dominieren | t3n – digital pioneers

Edit: Okk.. What’s wrong with the world today? Trump (rightly) withdraws from Syria and now Fox Business is praising Musk!!

Wow, what's happening? Is the stock (manipulators) preparing for a giant leap straight up making this whole FUD and reversal pre-planned? Oh I hope so, I'll clean up!

You didn't clarify "certain situations" -- but Tesla (and other EV, I believe) drivers in cold weather areas experience (significantly) decreased range. Even with pre-heating, I lost ~30 rated on a 11.7 mile commute yesterday AM -- I know worst case scenario, etc. but that's also a "situation".
Can't argue about other items.

Big battery issues as in talk of easily 50% less mileage when colder (not talking Arctic temps) on top of range issues to begin with and charging rate issues - read we don’t go out of the city, ever.

Well, consensus here is that we'll see manipulations and bear raids for the holiday week. This is a well-documented phenomenon, *and* many longer-term long traders are away from their desks over the holiday.

So it's a *self fulfilling prophecy* to some extent... if you think it's going to be manipulated downward until deliveries are reported, you might delay buying until just before then. As a result I wouldn't be surprised to see a huge buying surge on Dec. 31 just before end of quarter, or maybe on Dec. 28th for those who plan to take New Year's Eve off, but I would be surprised to see a big rally between now and then (unless it's driven by options as Curt suggested is a possibility).
So, we have 5 1/2 days of trading. On 24th it is open 9:30 to 1:00 PM. The production and delivery numbers will come out before trading starts on the 2nd.

SP can go up because of macros or delivery numbers or for no reason at all.

SP can go down because of macros or delivery numbers or for no reason at all.

I hope everyone knows what the game plan is.

Big battery issues as in talk of easily 50% less mileage when colder (not talking Arctic temps) on top of range issues to begin with and charging rate issues - read we don’t go out of the city, ever.

I also experience very large reductions in cold weather driving range, that are also easy to understand. In my case, I drive about 10 minutes to work, and then 10 minutes home. About one of the worst corner cases (even if common) for cold weather driving, as the heater(s) in the car are running full blast heating the battery and me. About the time everything is warmed up, I'm parking in the garage. Translates to about 550 wh/mile for me, instead of my usual 350-380 wh/mile (a Model X).

And doesn't translate at all to being out on the highway for hours. Same car and temps, 60 mile drive to our other house for an hour and a half, and the mileage is the pretty typical 350-380 wh/mile after driving for about 15 minutes.

There's a very good post explaining the dynamic, I think by @Doug_G , that helped me figure this out for myself. It was somebody that lives in Canada and deals with much colder weather than I do :). The core problem is that the heaters are ~6kW electric heaters and running them at full warms up the battery pack to a good operating temperature, and warms up the riders to a good operating temperature, but doesn't move the car anywhere. An hour sitting in place running both will drain 6 or 12 kWs of energy from the battery pack, but you're still sitting in place. Really kills the mileage :)

NUMMI is in California. Blue coast. Ohio is a crucial swing state every four years. Totally different optics for the red portion of the country. I don't see how Tesla assuming a plant there wouldn't be of considerable political interest, and both sides would definitely try to spin it. Would be quite a show, I think.
There is some disagreement on whether OH should even be considered a swing state anymore.

14 states were closer than Ohio in 2016, including "red" states, Georgia and Arizona. Only one Dem holds a statewide office in OH.

I'm sure the clueless MSM will continue to call OH, IO as swing states - but they are no longer swing states.

Ofcourse, in the unlikely event of Sherrod Brown becoming the Dem nominee, it would be interesting to watch.

Tomorrow should indeed provide a strong test for the MaxPain thesis. Between that and the multi-witching (take your pick at counting witches), those of us who munch popcorn should ingest many, many calories.

This selloff is now being compared to 2008 and 1987. It is unlikely to be over.

Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

The question is: is it going to be an almost instant bounceback like 1987, a surprisingly fast recovery like 2008, or a horrible long dragged-out affair like the Panic of 1901, or worse, the Long Depression of 1873?

I don't see the mismanaged leverage necessary to repeat 1929, but let's hope I'm right about that...

We don't have the somewhat-competent government of 2008; 1987 was an essentially technical blip and this seems very different; but at least we have better institutions and a better understanding of money than they had in 1873 or 1901...

This selloff is now being compared to 2008 and 1987. It is unlikely to be over.

Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

The question is: is it going to be an almost instant bounceback like 1987, a surprisingly fast recovery like 2008, or a horrible long dragged-out affair like the Panic of 1901, or worse, the Long Depression of 1873?

I don't see the mismanaged leverage necessary to repeat 1929, but let's hope I'm right about that...

We don't have the somewhat-competent government of 2008; 1987 was an essentially technical blip and this seems very different; but at least we have better institutions and a better understanding of money than they had in 1873 or 1901...
I don't know man.
Everyone I know has decent job. Unemployment is low.
I have horrible time finding talent.
I have to consider 10-15+% raises year over year go retain best.
I don't know that this is material of which years of suffering are made from...

Status
Not open for further replies.