Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone here is assuming good delivery numbers early next month. If that happens, what’s the likelihood of shaking off the macros? I’m assuming it will take a very good Q4 ‘18 report in Feb. for that to happen.

Nike went up 8% after hours even in this climate on a decent earnings beat of 52 cents versus 46 cents expected. So perhaps there are still investors out there willing to buy on good news.

Everyone here is assuming good delivery numbers early next month. If that happens, what’s the likelihood of shaking off the macros? I’m assuming it will take a very good Q4 ‘18 report in Feb. for that to happen.

I agree with your sense that it may take the Q4 report to make a major difference. Of course, that's not a guarantee to pull Tesla away from the larger trend of the general market sell off in that time frame. I think it's reasonably likely, but, I'm a long term buy and holder, so I don't trade in ways that require that to happen.

Reactions: Artful Dodger
Results from poll are in. Median is around $530. Not bad, but I was expecting higher. Teresa May would choose $900. In the middle of the factions but completely unsupported by either cohort.
What do you think the true valuation should be today, free of manipulation?

1. <$400
    5 vote(s)
    10.0%

2. $400 - $500
    16 vote(s)
    32.0%

3. $500 - $600
    11 vote(s)
    22.0%

4. $600 - $700
    6 vote(s)
    12.0%

5. $700 - $800
    5 vote(s)
    10.0%

6. $800 - $900
    0 vote(s)
    0.0%

7. $900 - $1000
    0 vote(s)
    0.0%

8. >$1000
    7 vote(s)
    14.0%

$530 sounds about right to me. fwiw, I think we will be 10%-40% below fair value from now until about 2022-2023. That's about how much time I think it will take before we'll have seen the majority of the FUD campaign to fall away. So, with the exception of some possible near term pressure if the general market selloff pulls us down further with its momentum, I think at $315 we are at about the bottom of TSLA's range (~40% below $530 fair value). I started adding trading shares at $351, but bought more aggressively from $330-$315.

OT

Correct. Worst *long range* mileage reduction I've gotten is about 30%, in -15F weather or in an ice storm (where I had to keep the windshield heater on full blast).

I don't believe that, maybe if you had a strong tailwind, and/or getting solar heating during the day. From real logged data, only considering drives over 25 miles I see ~30% range loss 25-35F. At 0F, that's ~46% loss (preheated in garage), and at ~80F, only 2%.

If we consider snow on the ground, then ~45% range loss ~18F ~65miles, average speed 40mph, again preheated in garage. I guesstimated 20% of overall consumption went to cabin heating.

If starting cold, knock 5-10kWh off the top both for heating and higher internal cell resistance for the first 1-2 hours of driving.

OT
I was a bit low yesterday regarding SP, but spending time on the forum has perked me up. I am relatively bullish on Q4 but mostly focussed on Q1/S&P inclusion/getting a positive p/e ratio. However, when reading some of the recent Model Y posts I was reminded just what a big deal it will be - it is sneaking up on us. Elon has talked up the pickup recently but the Y is bound to be a game changer for several reasons (alien dreadnought, Flexi circuits, 3 rows in compact body, styling etc). Being a CUV at ~peak CUV sales helps too.. Just the announcement of the unveil in March (Feb announcement?) could affect SP (perhaps a teaser picture) - I will add to my list of milestones.

Reactions: PANN and SteveG3
Elon will find a way to take it private soon. The FUD is really crazy. It’s taking a major toll on him (he gets fat when stressed lol)
I guess you weren't here in Q3? The FUD is way down. I can't even remember a drop like this ever happening with so little FUD. Yeah, it is still in the feed, but it no longer dominates the news feed.

OT
I was a bit low yesterday regarding SP, but spending time on the forum has perked me up. I am relatively bullish on Q4 but mostly focussed on Q1/S&P inclusion/getting a positive p/e ratio. However, when reading some of the recent Model Y posts I was reminded just what a big deal it will be - it is sneaking up on us. Elon has talked up the pickup recently but the Y is bound to be a game changer for several reasons (alien dreadnought, Flexi circuits, 3 rows in compact body, styling etc). Being a CUV at ~peak CUV sales helps too.. Just the announcement of the unveil in March (Feb announcement?) could affect SP (perhaps a teaser picture) - I will add to my list of milestones.

Also worth getting excited about the megapack. TE can ramp faster than cars i feel.

German configurator open

Attachments

• aus.png
    aus.png
    17.5 KB · Views: 56
Status
Not open for further replies.