Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tsportline unable to fill 18" rim deliveries by end of year

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Except other vendors with flow forged don't think they will fit. Also some cast wheels do have a thin enough barrel.
There's a difference between the process allowing a design and the designer choosing to utilize the capability in that way. :)

Flow forged is an inherently more expensive technique but allows more flexibility in dimensions and shape because of better material strength and not being limited by certain aspects of the moulds with gravity and forced forging. Remember that you need fairly strong rims (and tires) for Teslas because of the higher curb weight.

Oh I KNOW the reply was meant for someone else (internal to them). That type of attitude gave me a sour taste though. They can’t even respond to me? Was it because they were charging 3x the amount Tesla was or what?

I think I didn't do a good job conveying the possibility here. The email may have been intended for someone else about something else, not involving you in any way. Which was the scenario I found myself in. I read a bunch of emails, went back to respond to one, chose the wrong one, typed my response, and sent it.

Given that everyone else has had positive support experiences over the phone and email, I tend to believe this had nothing to do with you and just resulted from a crossed message.

Reactions: ℬête Noire
I ordered my 18 inch TSportline wheels on October 4th and just received them December 10th. They are still the best wheel for the price and look great. I'm excited to finally have them and can understand the frustration others are going through, especially if you have winter tires sitting in your garage and it's snowing out, like I did. Also, I did email them to cancel my order the end of November as I was frustrated with the delays. The president emailed me back and persuaded me to hang in there a couple more weeks and my order shipped when he said it would. I am happy with their customer support.

I would say, hang in there if you can.

Then be honest and proactive with your customers. Don't put text like "backordered until mid november" if you don't actually have reliable dock dates for mid november. just put "backordered".

@Tsportline This is exactly my frustration as well. As I have learned over 26 years of marriage, it’s all about expectations! Failing to meet expectations (e.g., “late October,” “early November,” “end of November,” “week of December 4,” “end of December”) is SO MUCH WORSE than just setting a much more conservative expectation and offering a pleasant surprise when it is exceeded.

@Tsportline has every incentive to send what you ordered as soon as they possibly can.

What incentive exactly? They charged my credit card back in October, so they already have the revenue!

It would be nice to receive emailed updates on such delays. For example, I ordered early November (3rd) and expected delivery at the end of November. I wasn't notified of a delay, instead I had to figure out that the website changed.

The website changed to week of Dec 4th and now it's delayed again with no communication. I hope in the future you can work on communication on existing orders. Tesla has to work on this too, you aren't the only company with communication issues.

In the meantime, I've received plenty of Tsportline ads in my email, speaking of discounts (excluding the exact product I've purchased.) :(

EXACTLY!

I emailed in late August with a question about the wheels (before ordering). No response.

I placed my order on October 7 with the web site stating “late October” for delivery.

I e-mailed in late October asking for clarification on what was meant by “late October.” No response.

I called in mid November (before Thanksgiving and Black Friday) and spoke with a woman who told me that she had “no more information” than was posted on the website (which was “late November” at that time.)

I have checked the website and this forum multiple times a week since the beginning of November and was excited to finally see the announcement that “orders placed before November 23rd would ship the week of December 4th.”

When no shipment notification was sent by the end of last week, I e-mailed twice asking for an update before I finally received a response yesterday that simply read:

“Thank you for your patience. Your order is in the queue and shipments will resume the week of December 25th.”

I am sure that Tsportline is overwhelmed with orders following from the flood of Model 3 deliveries the past several months—the proverbial “good problem to have.” I am frustrated by the absence of any proactive communication, the lack of responsiveness to my communications, and the inability to realize that the units being received were woefully inadequate to satisfy an order placed SEVEN WEEKS before the November 23 deadline.

Now I wait...”in the queue” (where I will have been for 11 weeks by the time December 25 rolls around) and hoping that when shipments resume during a holiday week that my order might somehow be one of the lucky ones to make it out.

Under accrual accounting, until they deliver the order an undelivered, paid for, item is a liability on their books- they don't get to recognize the revenue until they ship you the goods you've paid for.
Legally maybe, but if they were to fold up shop I wouldn't see the money again. So it's irrelevant when they recognize their revenue.

I prefer when vendors charge my credit card just before they actually generate a shipping label. Not to mention if people are buying on credit they are paying interest while they don't have a product.

Reactions: Jedi2155 and ChrisH
Legally maybe, but if they were to fold up shop I wouldn't see the money again. So it's irrelevant when they recognize their revenue.

I prefer when vendors charge my credit card just before they actually generate a shipping label. Not to mention if people are buying on credit they are paying interest while they don't have a product.

Maybe they could use the Tesla model and take a $500 refundable reservation for the wheels, just like the Model 3.

• Love
Reactions: JeffK
It's really tough to make a living if you're a small company. I know, we're one.

I'm grateful there is a company such as TSportline. Because more small companies means better choices for me, the consumer.

It ultra-bothers me that a few companies dominate our lives. I think, people should be out of their minds upset about this. One thing I love about Tesla and brother Elon is their patents are Open Source. I love what Elon said this past weekend on 60 Minutes -- "If we go broke that means someone is making a really great electric car, I'm fine with that".

I sent an email to TS, asking about winter wheels. Someone called me back, not email. I love it. They were friendly, said to call back if I have any other questions.

Their wheels are a lot lighter than the stock wheels. I'll be buying some.

I think the world should support the little guy -- even if it means paying a few bucks more.

A great example is a new model that's emerging -- The Platform Cooperative. Think REI, but for all business. Here's a link:
Platform Cooperativism

Peace and love,

Under accrual accounting, until they deliver the order an undelivered, paid for, item is a liability on their books- they don't get to recognize the revenue until they ship you the goods you've paid for.

While it may not flow through their income statement, it does hit their cash flow statement, and we're essentially giving them a free loan. A stated short-term loan which term extends as they ship the wheels later than they told us they would.

Here's the issue I have- we're all flocking to TSportline for one big reason- it's the only wheel "on the market" that will fit our red performance calipers without machining. But are they really on the market if we order them and don't actually have any to ship? How many other manufactures will have wheels ready to ship in a month or so? They too could list them on their website and sell them to us only to ship them at some unknown point in time. I'm just disappointed that I was told "week of December 4th" via email on Nov. 29th only to have that date come and go. The minute another manufacture has 18" wheels that fit the P3, I'd expect to see a tremendous amount of cancellations.

I notice that TSportline on here says we can order the 19" wheels instead. Price match for these wheels? With the discount, they're very close. But the website also says the 19" wheels are backordered.

I have read through this forum, and the thing that sticks out to me is that TST has failed to grasp the main frustration everyone has with them: Poor communication.

I had a similar issue with some AWD lowering springs I ordered back in September. The website said November delivery when I ordered them. Then it said December delivery. A few days ago I sent an inquiry email asking if they were still going to deliver in December. At that time I was told it would be January. I mentioned to the respondent that they might want to update their website. No response back to my second email. No, "okay" or "thanks for the heads up" or anything. The website is now showing January delivery, but we shouldn't have to remind them to keep their own house in order.

I really like my TST flow forged wheels. But their customer service, which includes customer communication could use some work.

Reactions: JeffK
While it may not flow through their income statement, it does hit their cash flow statement, and we're essentially giving them a free loan. A stated short-term loan which term extends as they ship the wheels later than they told us they would.

Here's the issue I have- we're all flocking to TSportline for one big reason- it's the only wheel "on the market" that will fit our red performance calipers without machining. But are they really on the market if we order them and don't actually have any to ship? How many other manufactures will have wheels ready to ship in a month or so? They too could list them on their website and sell them to us only to ship them at some unknown point in time. I'm just disappointed that I was told "week of December 4th" via email on Nov. 29th only to have that date come and go. The minute another manufacture has 18" wheels that fit the P3, I'd expect to see a tremendous amount of cancellations.

I notice that TSportline on here says we can order the 19" wheels instead. Price match for these wheels? With the discount, they're very close. But the website also says the 19" wheels are backordered.

There are other 18" rims that fit the P3D+ calipers. Tirerack has the flow one / flow two which they advertise as fitting. I'm running XXR559's which...mostly fit (see my other thread for that).

Pretty much any flow forged 18" rim will likely have clearance in fact.

I originally ordered the 18's mid-October as well. Unfortunately snow came around before they could confirm a shipping date, so I ended up calling Thanksgiving Day - somehow got through very late in the day, switched my order to the 19's (BF deal got them within $100 of the 18's price) and got an expected shipping date for the following week (they had the wheels, but were waiting for more Sotozero 3 tires). They arrived eventually, after a couple of failed delivery dates by FedEx (good luck getting a guaranteed delivery time with Ground, ended up going to the warehouse to pick them up).

Unfortunately one of the wheels was part of an old production run that didn't have the lip offset for the performance model (this is what I was told over the phone, he made it sound like they all have it now regardless of model?), but they basically NDA'd the correct wheel (luckily the glossy black 19 winter combo was still in stock the night I tried to mount the wheels). The last rep I talked to on the phone was also nice enough to throw in some complementary swag (card holders, shirt, etc) and was genuinely trying to help out. I think I talked to 3 different people, and 2 of them were great, one of them seemed like he had dealt with a bunch of *sugar* and was just trying to leave the office when I called.

Overall, I spent a little too much on a car rental since the first snow, took a couple of days off work for delivery, and waited longer than I would've liked to get these, but @Tsportline went out of their way to try and help out, and made up for their mistake with the first delivery. Really hope it all works out for all of you still waiting!

I ordered the TSportline 18in wheels, gray, with TPMS and Continental DWS06 tires mounted, at the beginning of October. At that time they stated “late October” as the delivery date. I chose the 18in for best weather tolerance, pothole tolerance, more tire options. If you're willing to take a bit more risk, and spend a little more money, the 19 looks even better.

They finally arrived on Thursday, a few days ago. During the wait, TSportline didn't sent any updates; the updates I was able to get (by emailing and phone) turned out to be inaccurate. Each time they expressed confidence, and the confidence turned out to be wrong. As one of the representatives wrote here, there is actually great uncertainty on when a shipment from across the notion will arrive. The customer experience would have been better if they had just said "hopefully late October, but it might get delayed all the way to December" instead of predicting dates that turn out to be wrong.

On the plus side: the wheels+tires arrived in perfect condition, and I had them put on the car Friday days ago. They look great and work great.

In summary: if you can be patient, and don't mind both the lack of communication and unpredictability of the arrival, the product is fantastic!

If you need something ASAP, consider something (cheaper) off of TireRack and have it in hand, in a few days.