Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TuneIn Radio Problems

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know if this is a consequence of the recent maintenance update or not, but for the first time ever, I was able to listen to a TuneIn podcast for longer than 30 minutes today. It played for a full 33.5 minutes...my entire commute.

Argh! I tried listening to a podcast during my commute into work this morning, and it cut off at 30 minutes again. I guess last night's extended broadcast success was just a fluke.

Is anyone else having issues with the ABC news station? Prior to 5.9 this worked great, but now when I first tune to it (and it tries to load the 'top headline stories') it fails to play 90% of the time. If I skip to the next random news story, then that normally plays ok.

came across this thread trying to find "This American Life" on TuneIn. Does anyone know where in the menus it is? I've been able to find "Car Talk" but not "This American Life" yet someone in this thread talked about listening to it on TuneIn.

came across this thread trying to find "This American Life" on TuneIn. Does anyone know where in the menus it is? I've been able to find "Car Talk" but not "This American Life" yet someone in this thread talked about listening to it on TuneIn.

I'm not sitting in my car, so I can't tell you exactly, but it is buried pretty deeply, and I think you can get to it via multiple paths. But why bother? You'll never get to finish listening to an episode anyway, and it will stop at the most interesting spot and start over leaving you hanging... or angry... or both.

so......

still have the tune-in podcast skipping issue: about halfway thru a podcast (not live stream) it will skip forward to next track or restart the current one. happens every time. been this way for at least a year. what are the possibilities here??? what can i do?

and, new problem, since latest update or two (i'm on 59.15 i think): music drive files won’t play. they load, i can see names and artwork… don’t play. player says ‘unable to play this track’ on every track it seems. i have a usb drive (ssd) connected with about 200GB of music on it. has worked fine since day one (two years ago) until now. what is the issue with this and how can i fix??? need music.

anyone else with these issues?

thank you!!

still have the tune-in podcast skipping issue: about halfway thru a podcast (not live stream) it will skip forward to next track or restart the current one. happens every time. been this way for at least a year. what are the possibilities here??? what can i do?
Nothing apparently. Drives me nuts. Makes Tune In pretty much useless.
and, new problem, since latest update or two (i'm on 59.15 i think): music drive files won’t play. they load, i can see names and artwork… don’t play. player says ‘unable to play this track’ on every track it seems.
I had this once and I have no idea what software I was on. I rebooted the console and plugged/unplugged the thumb drive and it was fine. Annoying, but it's only happened once so far.

I still have the issue where ABC news refuses to play the first stream (normally headlines). Usually, but not always, hitting the skip button to get to the next stream seems to work, but it's weird, and has been this way since at least 5.12.

Nothing apparently. Drives me nuts. Makes Tune In pretty much useless.

I had this once and I have no idea what software I was on. I rebooted the console and plugged/unplugged the thumb drive and it was fine. Annoying, but it's only happened once so far.

yeah, thought i had rebooted since the update, but perhaps not, will try... fingers x'd. thanks for the reply.

So it's NOT just me.
I searched the forum for this 30-minute cutoff problem before posting a fresh thread about it. I will ask Ownership and mention it at the Service Center when I bring the car in too. So that at least they hear from one more customer.
Glad I read this thread, now I know Car Talk is in there somewhere!
(Has anyone tried getting Tesla tech and TuneIn support on a conference call?)

No.. We are just too disconnected from the engineers who actually worked on that feature. I think it is hard to get Tesla to care about it because it is an infotainment concern rather than automotive. It seems like it has been forever since they have paid any attention to the entertainment functions. Instead their focus has been on navigation, driver assistance, and mechanical. In a way it makes sense because they are a car company, but it really makes me wish they would have listened to the suggestions of making the infotainment system more open and/or able to support third party content so we wouldn't be stuck with the stale old and buggy entertainment apps.

So, in the release notes for update 6.1, it mentions improvements to TuneIn. Even if they didn't manage to kill the cut-off problem, they apparently implemented track positioning and auto-resume which means you should theoretically be able to easily restart at the point it cut off rather than having to restart from the beginning. Yay!

I just picked up my replacement P85D a couple of weeks ago, and I haven't had the time to listen to a full episode of anything on Tune-In, but I am very hopeful this issue might finally be either resolved or have a reasonable work-around.

Tune-In list of podcasts won't refresh

The thing that irritates me the most about the Tesla Tune-In app is that it won't refresh the list of podcasts after the first time you access a particular podcast. When you browse into your daily podcast from the Tune-In menu for the first time, it shows you the podcast for that day and the previous 30 (or so) podcasts. When you look up the same podcast the next day, the list is frozen with yesterday's and the previous 30 podcasts. It won't refresh the list with the latest podcasts unless you reboot the console. If you don't reboot, you can't hear the latest podcasts for that program.

I reported this problem both to Tune-In and Tesla almost a year ago. Tune-In says that's something Tesla needs to fix in their app, but it's still not fixed.

Has anyone found another solution to this problem without having to reboot the console?

Has anyone found another solution to this problem without having to reboot the console?

I was equally frustrated and rebooting too. Then just this morning I discovered that if I clicked the "Listen Now" button above the stale list of shows, it cascades to another level with refreshed shows. Why you have to do that maneuver makes no sense to me, but it refreshed the podcasts.

I didn't notice the Listen Now button on all podcasts before, but it showed up on the few stations I was interested in this morning. So not sure if it's always there or not.

The Listen Now button seems to come and go. It's not a complete solution though. Now that you've clicked on it, its list of podcasts is now frozen too. You can use it as a workaround though. The podcasts I listen to most often appear multiple times in the menu tree. If you browse the tree enough, the good ones tend to appear more than once in different categories. If you don't access them all on the same day, then they each refresh their individual lists on the day you first access them. Couple that with the Listen Now buttons, and I've got about 7 or 8 entries for a daily podcast. Furthermore, if you don't mind listening to podcasts that are a few days stale, you can work your way down the list of older podcasts before switching over to the next duplicate entry in the menu tree. I know...lots of hoops to jump through, but a lot of times, I don't feel like sitting through the reboot cycle which is the only other alternative.

August 2015 and still no fix!

Can't believe this. Having to reset the console to update the podcast list is .....Ludicrus...

Have you tried simply logging out and back in again from the Settings screen? That works for me and is a lot quicker than a re-boot. The settings will remember your credentials, so it's really just a couple of clicks.

- - - Updated - - -

Wondering the same - need to reboot the console daily (daily) if one wishes to hear any podcast daily. Now, that is silly.
Ideas?

But having said the above, my new podcasts do seem to show up with no re-boot or re-login required.

The thing that irritates me the most about the Tesla Tune-In app is that it won't refresh the list of podcasts after the first time you access a particular podcast. When you browse into your daily podcast from the Tune-In menu for the first time, it shows you the podcast for that day and the previous 30 (or so) podcasts. When you look up the same podcast the next day, the list is frozen with yesterday's and the previous 30 podcasts. It won't refresh the list with the latest podcasts unless you reboot the console. If you don't reboot, you can't hear the latest podcasts for that program.

I reported this problem both to Tune-In and Tesla almost a year ago. Tune-In says that's something Tesla needs to fix in their app, but it's still not fixed.

dumb issue still not fixed

dumb issue still not fixed

I know. I keep checking with every new release. It's aggravating because it seems like such an easy fix. I have a new workaround though. Instead of rebooting the console, go to the settings for the Media app. Log out from your TuneIn account and log back in again. That refreshes the TuneIn program tree. It's still a pain, but it's a bit faster than waiting for the console reboot cycle.