Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Turn signal sound too quiet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On my wife's Model 3, the sound from the turn signals is so quiet that we often can't hear it. Does anyone else notice this? When my father test drove the 3, he also commented it was too quiet.

We also have the feature enabled that "dings" when you go over the speed limit (by 5 mph). This ding is significantly louder than the turn signal (and even louder than the ding on my Model S). However, the turn signals on the 3 are much, much quieter than the S.

Is this something everyone is noticing, or it just us?

Reactions: Gasaraki and Jivas
On my wife's Model 3, the sound from the turn signals is so quiet that we often can't hear it. Does anyone else notice this? When my father test drove the 3, he also commented it was too quiet.

We also have the feature enabled that "dings" when you go over the speed limit (by 5 mph). This ding is significantly louder than the turn signal (and even louder than the ding on my Model S). However, the turn signals on the 3 are much, much quieter than the S.

Is this something everyone is noticing, or it just us?
My wife and I think the turn signal "click" in every car we have ever driven, including the 3, is not loud enough. But we are both hearing impaired, so there is that. So we drive down the freeway with our blinker on sometimes, which is admittedly a safety hazard (and if you are one of the people giving us the finger, that is not helpful). We do remind each other to cancel the turn signal because we are aware of our handicap. If Tesla were to make the "click" sound louder, there would be a bunch of people who would say it is too loud and try to find a hack to turn it off completely.

What I would like to see in the U.I. is a configurable usability control for sounds, icon size/location, and magnification. I presume this would be rather easy to do, but it just doesn't have a high priority right now. Hopefully sometime in the future with an OTA update.

Last edited:
Twenty years as an infantry officer in the army, followed by 18 years working in downtown as a firefighter in Seattle.. I have hearing aids but don’t often wear them when I’m alone in my car. But then i cannot hear the turn signal. I’ve tweeted Elon about both having an ability to adjust the volume of the warnings etc and also a larger turn signal indicator. FWIW the other sounds are fine or even a bit too loud. The turn signal is too quiet. How hard could that be to cook into the software so we could adjust said volume?

Reactions: ZapCarM3
Not hard at all since they did the exact opposite with 'Joe mode'.... including the turn signal volume.

But I fear the days of user-requested, let alone named-after-user features are long behind this brand.

Instead, looking at the X and S refreshes - heck, even the MIC/MIA 2021 3, Tesla has gone down the path of 'We know what you want or need, and if you don't agree yet, you will - just you wait!'.

Idk why anyone is posting dumb and ironic ideas to diminish the significance of this request. It's actually pretty annoying and not funny. It's just not clever, either. Sorry, not appreciating the humor here.

I just want it to be a little more obvious to myself that I'm signaling. The lights are small and not that visible and the noise is just barely loud enough but I often can't hear it. Window down or music up, etc... It is so easily drowned out.

A simple volume setting for the turn signals is not much to ask for and would be an obvious safety customization feature that nobody should have any reason to undermine.

There's no dash indicator so at least the noise could be present enough.