Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Two questions re crosswalks and speed control.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have FSD.

1. We notice that the car slows down to around 36 km when approaching a crosswalk, even when no one is crossing and lights not flashing. It does this 100 percent of the time. Are others seeing this?

2. The car does a very good job of detecting the speed limit but does not actually slow down to the new speed limit. I have to tap the screen. Normal??

Thanks in advance.

We have FSD.

1. We notice that the car slows down to around 36 km when approaching a crosswalk, even when no one is crossing and lights not flashing. It does this 100 percent of the time. Are others seeing this?

2. The car does a very good job of detecting the speed limit but does not actually slow down to the new speed limit. I have to tap the screen. Normal??

Thanks in advance.
Do you mean you are FSD-ready or have FSD Beta? I notice you're in Canada so if you have FSD Beta would that be the first in Canada?

AP doesn't slow down or recognize crosswalks. Could be there is a speed limit sign before the crosswalk and it is slowing for that.

The rewrite in FSD Beta can/does and hopefully we will get it soon, even if many features will be disabled for a few months.

AP doesn't slow down or recognize crosswalks. Could be there is a speed limit sign before the crosswalk and it is slowing for that.

The rewrite in FSD Beta can/does and hopefully we will get it soon, even if many features will be disabled for a few months.

More specifically it responds to the overhead lights at crosswalks - and yes, mine does the same at a couple of pedestrian crossings I pass regularly. I don't know what speed it's trying to slow down to as I always tap the accelerator to keep it moving smoothly, but it always tries to slow below the 30mph speed limit even when no lights are illuminated or flashing.

On OP's second question, mine adjusts to the new speed, but I typically have Autosteer enabled (not just TACC), so it's slowing down since it won't go more than +5 over the speed limit. I never use TACC alone, so not sure if mine would keep cruising at the higher speed after detecting a lower speed. Model S here (so tapping the speed isn't a thing for me anyway).

More specifically it responds to the overhead lights at crosswalks - and yes, mine does the same at a couple of pedestrian crossings I pass regularly. I don't know what speed it's trying to slow down to as I always tap the accelerator to keep it moving smoothly, but it always tries to slow below the 30mph speed limit even when no lights are illuminated or flashing.

On OP's second question, mine adjusts to the new speed, but I typically have Autosteer enabled (not just TACC), so it's slowing down since it won't go more than +5 over the speed limit. I never use TACC alone, so not sure if mine would keep cruising at the higher speed after detecting a lower speed. Model S here (so tapping the speed isn't a thing for me anyway).

Yah. I kinda thought it was the overhead lights. Even when not flashing though it slows down to 36 KMH. Not an issue, I tend to go slow over crosswalks anyway.

Re the speed. We also usually have autopilot too. Maybe a setting. I'll have to play with it.

this is a pretty good example of technology doing its job effectively, but not matching up to the real world driving habits of most human drivers

Im convinced that at some point, the self driving will be exceptionally well. But will it be "natural" enough in many instances to stop drivers from taking control?....

Difference between driving by the rules of the road to the exact letter, so to speak, and driving in a more..natural, manner.

Last edited:
Reactions: serendipitous

Here in Europe Autosteer stops for pedestrians in a crosswalk. You get the red line across the road, just like you do at a traffic light, and you see the pedestrian walking in front of the car on the screen. And when they have crossed and the road is clear, the red line goes green and the car start driving again.

• Informative
Reactions: mikes_fsd