Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Two separate 120 volt / 15 amp outlets combined?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...How fast...

That thing requires optional NEMA 6-15.

The speed chart:

Gen_2_NEMA_REV.jpg

That's 11 miles per hour for Model 3 NEMA 6-15.

Note that to get 240V, you need to find 2 separate outlets that come from opposite phases. Your utility supply you 3 wires: 120V in one phase 120V in opposite phase, and a Neutral wire.

If your outlets are all hooked to one same phase then the maximum you would get is 120V.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and vickh
First as posted above you MUST use an outlet from each phase, AKA: L1 and L2. If both outlets are off L1 or L2 then you will only have 120V.

If you plug one into L1 and the other into L2 you will get 240V but the same current. So assuming you have a 15amp circuits it will be about.

240x15=3.6kW or 120x15=1.8kW if off the same phase (L1 or L2).

EDIT: Generally speaking if you look at your panel you will see 2 rows of breakers. The breakers on the left are L1 and the ones on the right are L2. You must be using a breaker from each side for it to work at 240V.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
First as posted above you MUST use an outlet from each phase, AKA: L1 and L2. If both outlets are off L1 or L2 then you will only have 120V.

If you plug one into L1 and the other into L2 you will get 240V but the same current. So assuming you have a 15amp circuits it will be about.

240x15=3.6kW or 120x15=1.8kW if off the same phase (L1 or L2).

EDIT: Generally speaking if you look at your panel you will see 2 rows of breakers. The breakers on the left are L1 and the ones on the right are L2. You must be using a breaker from each side for it to work at 240V.
I don't think that's right. Each hot bus bar reaches in to either row of breakers, but they alternate generally every 2 breaker positions. A dual pole 240V breaker installs on a single row but uses both hot bus bars which will give you 240V.

I have one, you have to find 2 outlets on different phases. It has an indicator light that lights up when you have it on 2 phases supplying 240. It can do 15 or 20 amp depending on what you can find. I use it when I stay at a friends house and they only have 120 outlets. It is simply 2x faster than a single 120, but makes a difference when charging overnight. They have an all in one kit that includes 2 heavy duty extension cords and adapters for 15 vs 20 amp outlets.

I could see it being useful if you cannot install a 240 outlet (like if you frequent friends/relatives without electric cars, or are renting). If 120v charging is not fast enough, it is 2x faster....

• Informative
I don't think that's right. Each hot bus bar reaches in to either row of breakers, but they alternate generally every 2 breaker positions. A dual pole 240V breaker installs on a single row but uses both hot bus bars which will give you 240V.
Yea that is correct. forgot about this S curve. Here is a pic of the way it connects to "the other side".

The tester will tell you which phase it is.

Screen Shot 2019-08-29 at 6.29.41 PM.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
I have one, you have to find 2 outlets on different phases. It has an indicator light that lights up when you have it on 2 phases supplying 240. It can do 15 or 20 amp depending on what you can find. I use it when I stay at a friends house and they only have 120 outlets. It is simply 2x faster than a single 120, but makes a difference when charging overnight. They have an all in one kit that includes 2 heavy duty extension cords and adapters for 15 vs 20 amp outlets.

what was your total cost beyond the $189

It has a connecting pole that runs underneath it to the of side.;) This is only for 240V and I did not include since it is getting into the weeds and past the 120V the OP was asking about. Here is a pic of the way it connects to "the other side".

View attachment 448114
I'm merely saying the statement "the breakers on the left are L1 and the breakers on the right are L2" is not right. You can see that in the picture you posted...

what was your total cost beyond the $189

It was $335.97 (including shipping) -P-107 Model A220-20D plus 2 adapter cords, 2 extension cords. It was 2 25 foot 20 amp extension cords and 2 1 foot 15 to 20 adapters plus the quick 220. It is very helpful to have the cords since you can find 2 outlets that are on different phases that are quite far apart.

I have actually used the extension cords for other things as needed since they are very heavy duty.

Quick 220 Systems: Model A220-20D plus 2 adapter cords, 2 extension cords

Note this is the 20 amp version vs the 15 amp version that was in the first post.

The Q220 is useful for people who don't have access to a 240V L2 outlet, and also for traveling to a cabin or cottage or a relative's that might not have easy access to 240V. Of course, you should bring at least one extension cord. Should give you half the rate of a NEMA 10-30.

Even if you find 2 outlets on opposite phases near enough to plug them in, remember that you are now going to draw 12 amps (for a 6-15 plug adapter) through both lines, so neither circuit that you plug into can have much other stuff running on it, or it'll trip the breaker. I made an excellent video about setting up a 6-20 plug on its own breaker and 12 gauge wire, it charged my 3 at 15 mph when I needed it.

More charge speed at much less cost than the $336 the Quick 220 cost! Can it be refunded and put the cash towards this project in the video?

How fast would something like this charge compared to a "real" 10-30 dryer plug.
Any reviews here?
Quick 220

I use this in my townhouse because wiring the garage is problematic (expensive to upgrade). Works well with just a couple caveats.

- cannot plug into GFCI circuit.
- (as mentioned) must find two outlets out of phase.

I have the 15A version as all available outlets are 15A. I get 9.4 MPH from the Quick 220 versus 4.2 MPH from the 110 outlet. The greater than 2x increase is due to the higher efficiency of the faster charge. My typical efficiency with 110 (117-120V, 12A ) is about 75%. With the Quick 220 (230-240V, 12A) I see 90% efficiency consistently.

For perspective, a 10% charge (for example, 60% to 70%) requires an 'overnight' charge of around seven hours on the 110 outlet. With the Quick 220 it takes just over three hours.

Since I already had a suitable extension cord, my cost was $189 plus $35 for the Tesla 6-15 adapter.

It's rare to find a place where this could really be useful. Congrats to @edigest for actually having a practical use. The main problem is about that issue with it not working on GFCI circuits. All garage and exterior outlets are required to be GFCI, so those won't work. So then you are down to finding outlets in two different rooms inside your house, which you have to use long extension cords to get them to the Quick220 box, and then another long cord from the output out to the street or driveway or wherever the car is parked outside. And that means you are running cords through doorways or out of windows, etc. It's kind of a mess.

• Informative
Another problem is the voltage drop with long extension cords. I did another video comparing 3 different extension cords of various lengths and gauges, compared to the baseline of just plugging the Tesla supplied charge adapter into the wall. Long story short, 10 or 12 gauge for extension cords, and no longer than needed.

• Helpful
  • Informative