Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Two weeks with inopererable powerwalls, starting to get why people say Tesla support is lacking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We went on a vacation a few weeks ago, while gone the powerwalls went into standby mode. So not charging/discharging. When we came home one was flashing green. No big deal I figured, called Tesla support and gave them the issue. We did the preliminary troubleshooting (shutting it down at the breakers) but that didn't solve it. They said ok give us 3-5 business days. Well we are long past that point now, when I call to get a status update it's just "well it's with tier 2 and nothing we can do", clearly this isn't fixable via remote just schedule the onsite already. I can say this has really soured my opinion of Tesla, it has removed any and all interest in their automotive products if this is how they treat customers.

Sorry to hear that you're having problems with your Powerwalls. To be honest, I am dreading having any major issues with my system and I am not even operating yet. How old is your system? I am interested to see how long it takes them to get someone onsite.

We went on a vacation a few weeks ago, while gone the powerwalls went into standby mode. So not charging/discharging. When we came home one was flashing green. No big deal I figured, called Tesla support and gave them the issue. We did the preliminary troubleshooting (shutting it down at the breakers) but that didn't solve it. They said ok give us 3-5 business days. Well we are long past that point now, when I call to get a status update it's just "well it's with tier 2 and nothing we can do", clearly this isn't fixable via remote just schedule the onsite already. I can say this has really soured my opinion of Tesla, it has removed any and all interest in their automotive products if this is how they treat customers.

Did you try pressing resetting the gateway? Its my understanding that just reboots that device ( the gateway) and you dont lose any settings. Saying that, I am sure that is the case with gateway 1 but less sure if you have gateway 2 which you likely have.

Maybe call tesla tier 1 energy support back and have them walk you through resetting the gateway if you didnt do that (thats not the same thing as turning off the breakers).

Are they going to pay you back the loss of revenue from not being able to time shift your solar to peak? If my 3 powerwalls stopped working, it would cost me about $200 / month.
I do find it concerning that Tesla doesn't have any clear timeframes established for warranty repairs. I realize it won't be instant, but from a customer standpoint, it seems fair that there should be an expectation that Tesla will complete a repair in a certain amount of time or will compensate the customer for the monetary losses. The problem right now is Tesla does not have a major incentive to allocate resources to repairs versus installs. I know that problem is not unique to Tesla, but it is more problematic when the product they sell is designed to directly save money.

And none of that addresses the issue of what a customer is to do if they need the product for an outage. It would be concerning to go weeks or months without backup after paying tens of thousands of dollars for a system, because Tesla is slow to repair. And it would be a particular issues for customers with medical or other critical needs.

My 2 powerwalls were installed on June 11 (I already had solar). It is a whole home backup configuration with the HVAC as part of the backup.

They installed a soft start device (SureStart) that caused my AC to not operate correctly. After multiple repair attempts, the last tech left leaving my AC inoperable after removing the SureStart. He said there must be something wrong with the AC and to call a HVAC repair company. He hadn't rewired it correctly after removing the SureStart (there is a schematic on the compressor panel) so I rewired it correctly to get it running again. It turns out SureStart isn't compatible with my compressor (I found this out, not Tesla).

In August my case was turned over to Executive Resolutions. I asked the representative what their plan was. She said they were going to remove my HVAC from the backup panel. I said there are a couple of problems with this plan:
1) My contract with Tesla (which has been paid) is to have the AC backed up.
2) There is no breaker for the HVAC in the backup panel, just the 200 amp house breaker. My service entrance/solar/powerwalls/gateway/backup panel is mounted remotely on an outbuilding with feeder lines running 200' in underground conduit to my house subpanel where the HVAC breaker resides.

I asked for details on how they were going to remove the AC breaker from the backup panel. She rarely responds to my voice messages and emails (I've only had her answer the phone once), and when she does she says that she is planning a meeting (which gets perpetually postponed) or waiting on more input from the technical people.

The last information I got was that they are planning on putting a relay in to shut off the HVAC when the power is down. I again asked for more details on how that was going to be accomplished. My HVAC is a dual fuel heat pump with a computerized thermostat. It throws all sorts of errors and shuts down when it detects something is wrong, and the fan runs perpetually. And, again, I stressed that I paid for a system with the AC backed up.

I live in an area with frequent power outages. Currently when power is lost with the heat pump running (or the heat pump tries to start) the powerwalls shut down for a few seconds (the computerized thermostat detects a problem and doesn't try to restart for 15 minutes). This causes the typical problems with a power outage (timers needing to be reset, etc.). Additionally it causes my spa to go into a restart cycle and everything runs full bore.

I was having some unrelated issues with the powerwalls and never got return calls or emails. It turns out that Tesla representatives are directed to not respond to requests when there is an open case with Executive Resolutions. I wasn't told this until last week.

It is mid-November and I'm still waiting for a resolution.

I'm currently experiencing a similar issue. Had 3 Powerwalls installed, 2 are not working (never worked), the level 1 phone person confirmed he could see them but 2 out of the 3 were just not charging\discharging. The lights are solid green on all 3 and I tried doing the reset troubleshooting over the phone. He escalated it to the diagnostic team and told me I'd hear back in 3-5 days with whether they can fix it or have to send someone out.

It's been 10 days, I just called to check the status. I was told that the team handling troubleshooting must be backed up, and the person emailed them asking for an update. I really hate when a company sets expectations and falls short. After getting a model 3 and then the whole solar process in general I'm not super surprised, but still disappointed.

Tesla finally called to schedule service today, the earliest date is next Thursday (8 days out) so not that bad in terms of scheduling. Overall though it will be just over a month from when I initially reported the issue to when they come out to fix it. That 3-5 days they told me when opening the case should really be 3-5 weeks.