Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Two-year Service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For that kind of money i'd get mine done at Tesla too. Just for the brakes and not having the hassle of changing my own filter really.

As for tyre rotation, am I the only one that throws it around roundabouts enough that my fronts wear quicker than the backs? I have ever intention of swapping them for just that reason.

• Funny
Reactions: btc1k and Roy W.
I've often wondered about this, as the car is 4WD do the tyres need rotating?
I can understand on 2WD vehicles with the driven wheels doing most of the work.
I suspect it is worth it, although it is something they do routinely in the States. Many tyre shops there offer free rotation once you’ve bought the tyres.

As for the 4WD, I suspect it depends on your driving style. About a month ago I had the two rears replaced because they were ready, but the fronts have still got a good few thousand miles in them. FWIR the motor torque balance changes as you drive, with more rear power when cruising because it’s more efficient. Your mileage may vary (pun intended).

Of course after Wednesday I’ll have to remember that the fronts are the rears and the rears are the fronts… o_O

I take it this was purely preventative? (as per reports from others ... or were you having noticeable suspension squeaking issues?)
I’d not noticed any problems, and didn’t mention it. I presumed it was an automatic service item a bit like the waterproofing of the frunk wiring harness. I’d not heard of the problem, too many threads to keep up with!

Reactions: Adopado
Wondering if the 2 year service is mandatory or optional for a lease car?
Perhaps check with your lease company to be safe. There is no mandatory service schedule for Tesla cars, but they ”recommend” that they are inspected every two years. It also means the car gets any other precautionary mods done, like the wiring harness, if they haven’t been done previously.

FWIW, when I sold my original M3 to WBAC, the accessor said that their records suggested the car would be expected to get a service in a few months - at 2 years old.

Not sure where they get that from but it might be a criteria for knocking down the offer and so the service will probably pay for itself.

My first year service on my Peugeot e208 was £99 for not much more than an inspection and valet but it felt like I’d won a prize at that price compared to the servicing costs on my previous cars. BMW for example 🤬.

Yesterday my Model 3 LR went into the (relatively) new Nottingham Service Centre for its first two-yearly service, at 24500 miles.

Because I wanted a courtesy car my booking was made about four weeks ago. My courtesy car was a 19 plate Model 3 Performance in black, with FSD enabled.

This was my first visit to the Nottingham SC, and very nice it is too. A very spacious showroom area, with a 3 and an X on display. The Service side is all contactless, so a couple of days before I got a text asking for a photo of my driving licence, then a little later a loan car agreement to sign electronically and return.

The day before the appointment I got an email with the key collection details, using a key safe system on the wall at the Service entrance. Of course this didn’t work (it said the key was already logged out) so I rang the doorbell and a nice Tesla man armed with laptop came out to me. Key problem sorted.

They didn’t need my car key - the security on the car is all remotely disabled by them.

During the day I received various messages from my technician, starting off with a quote of £205.99 to approve. Then at about 3pm I got a phone call to say it was ready for collection. When I dropped the loan car key off (they didn’t suggest using the key safe again…) they gave me a one-off temporary PIN for my car, and explained once I’d left the geofence of the dealership my PIN to Drive would revert to my own, and the Tesla app would come out of Service Mode and return control of the car to me. Spooky!

The invoice appeared in my Tesla app and they had charged it to my card on file as requested. For some reason the cost reduced slightly from the quote, and I ended up paying £190.00. Not bad for two years servicing.
Hi Roy

What did you put in the service app if you dont mind me asking?

Did you ask for a 2 year service?

I add "other" but then only get the Mobile ranger and not able to choose Notts

I’d not noticed any problems, and didn’t mention it. I presumed it was an automatic service item a bit like the waterproofing of the frunk wiring harness. I’d not heard of the problem, too many threads to keep up with!

Ah right ... so it's a recall that's not a recall ... as per wiring harness water ingress on the earlier cars as you say. I think you've just triggered us all into giving serious consideration to a Tesla service!

Reactions: Roy W.
My first year service on my Peugeot e208 was £99 for not much more than an inspection and valet but it felt like I’d won a prize at that price compared to the servicing costs on my previous cars. BMW for example 🤬.
We called the local Peugeot dealer about our e208 1st service and they quoted £125 - so I called the dealer in the next town and asked for a price stating "there is nothing to do really from what I hear" - they said £45. Winner!

Reactions: Doudeau
Hi Roy

What did you put in the service app if you dont mind me asking?

Did you ask for a 2 year service?

I add "other" but then only get the Mobile ranger and not able to choose Notts
That’s a very good question. I obviously didn’t select “Other” then. I do remember writing in the comments that I wanted a two-year service. I imagine I just followed my nose and happened to get the right outcome!

Reactions: davidmc
That’s a very good question. I obviously didn’t select “Other” then. I do remember writing in the comments that I wanted a two-year service. I imagine I just followed my nose and happened to get the right outcome!
Will have a go. I have already done my filters so no need for those.

Also spoke to a lady at Tesla on the phone and she just said "its not a Service its more of a check up as we dont have a service intervals for the car."

Do they add Tesla Tequila to the Wind screen washer bottle?

Will have a go. I have already done my filters so no need for those.

Also spoke to a lady at Tesla on the phone and she just said "its not a Service its more of a check up as we dont have a service intervals for the car."

Do they add Tesla Tequila to the Wind screen washer bottle?
Interesting. The invoice calls the item “2 year service at customer request”. The chap who took the loan car key back said ”There are no service intervals, but we recommend you bring it in every two years or every 20k miles, whichever comes first.” I think that’s the first time I’ve heard 20k miles mentioned though.

As for the Tesquila, I’ve not tasted it to find out, but I doubt it. The screen wash top-up was also listed as “complimentary”, so not charged as part of the service.

One other thing that surprised me, Nottingham SC have a range of Tesla merchandise on display and for sale, hats, T-shirts, die-cast models etc. I was told a while ago by Stockport that they’d had to stop selling these because of heavy losses due to theft. Perhaps the toerags in Nottingham haven’t found out yet. ;)

Interesting. The invoice calls the item “2 year service at customer request”. The chap who took the loan car key back said ”There are no service intervals, but we recommend you bring it in every two years or every 20k miles, whichever comes first.” I think that’s the first time I’ve heard 20k miles mentioned though.

As for the Tesquila, I’ve not tasted it to find out, but I doubt it. The screen wash top-up was also listed as “complimentary”, so not charged as part of the service.

One other thing that surprised me, Nottingham SC have a range of Tesla merchandise on display and for sale, hats, T-shirts, die-cast models etc. I was told a while ago by Stockport that they’d had to stop selling these because of heavy losses due to theft. Perhaps the toerags in Nottingham haven’t found out yet. ;)
Cheers Roy

I just request a service through the app

I select "Other" and typed in "2 year check up please at Nottingham SC " and any other notes you want to add (I added "Loan car please and also i had already fitted my filters")

The App will ask for your address, but you will be offered a Mobile Ranger Only (with date and time) at this point

I select that.

I received an email/Text confirming this.

Around 30mins later you will get another email confirming you are booked into Nottingham SC, followed by another text saying they dont have a loan car until later in Oct (or what ever they have availble). I texted back and said thats ok :).

FWIW, when I sold my original M3 to WBAC, the accessor said that their records suggested the car would be expected to get a service in a few months - at 2 years old.

Not sure where they get that from but it might be a criteria for knocking down the offer and so the service will probably pay for itself.

And they would verify that how exactly? I'll just tell them it's had all of the main dealer servicing required.

And they would verify that how exactly? I'll just tell them it's had all of the main dealer servicing required.
I told them there are no service recommendations and there ultimately wasn’t any deduction in the offer from not having had one. Not sure whether it would have been a different story if it was more than 2 years old. I shared experience for info.

When my current car is 2 years old I’d be happy to spend £200 on a service (and keep the paperwork with V5 - as suggested above) for the potential of avoiding hassle and reduction in offer when I come to sell.

Perhaps check with your lease company to be safe. There is no mandatory service schedule for Tesla cars, but they ”recommend” that they are inspected every two years. It also means the car gets any other precautionary mods done, like the wiring harness, if they haven’t been done previously.
With the increasing number of leased cars, it will be interesting to see what the lease co's expectations are. I've seen a number on here refer to lease terms which 'include servicing' but never any clarification of what that includes, nor in particular, what is expected of the renter.

I contacted Leaseplan via my broker and the feedback from Leaseplan was "The brake and cabin filter checks are optional and Leaseplan adhere to the guidelines provided by the manufacturer – in this case Tesla. She confirmed if you don’t get these checks done Leaseplan will not charge you.". I'll be keeping that e-mail.