TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

TxTag/EZpass

Discussion in 'Texas' started by dsm363, Nov 1, 2012.

Tags:
  1. 7racer

7racer Member

I want to confirm what radrays posted! The new windshields do let the NTTA toll tags to work thru the windshield!!!

I had to pick up my cousin at DFW and the sensor read at the gates without a problem!

SWEET!

So for all owners with the new windshield the toll tags should work in the area next to the rear view mirror mount.

2. Dropje

Dropje New Member

Have you permanently installed it there yet and proven it still works? (Paranoid).

3. Model S M.D.

Model S M.D. Ludicrous Radiologist

Hoping to take delivery of my 85D in December and was just wondering if "behind the nose cone" installation of those black bar transponders is still necessary? Is it a moot point given the new black area next to the rearview mirror on recent builds? (see image below, previously posted from another forum member's vehicle)

Messages Image(2484071754).jpg

4. bryanng

bryanng Member

I took delivery of my MS last week and placed my tolltag in the black area in the pic below and it doesn't seem to be working. I've driven the tollway many times and none of the tolls have registered to my tolltag.

5. redi

redi 2013 P85+

Two year anniversary on this thread and the challenge remains! Best solution appears to be Chris' outside pouches.

6. Beryl

Beryl Member

Hmmmm. My DS in Houston told me yesterday that the problem doesn't exist anymore. She suggested just getting the regular sticker since the windows have been redesigned.

7. Chris TX

Chris TX Active Member

If your windshield looks like the pictures above, then you're good to go. But for the thousands of Texas Model S running around, it's not the case.

8. Beryl

Beryl Member

Good to read this.

The earlier poster had a just taken delivery of a Tesla and had a problem. I wrongly assumed that they had the newly designed windshield.

9. Model S M.D.

Model S M.D. Ludicrous Radiologist

So you have the new windshield, placed the sticker under that black area and still had issues?

In other news, my Model S is now in transit :)

10. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

it depends on who you talk to. we get the run around over and over. some of them say all MS windshields block signals. other say its been redesigned to work. i've been told that the first few models blocked signals, then they redesigned the windshield to fix that, but then when autopilot was released all windshields from that point forward to today now block signals again.

11. radrays

radrays Member

I have a Sep 2015 MS with new style windshield. Initially had success with sticker inside while driving along Chisholm Trail Parkway in Fort Worth. Read 100% Gates at DFW have been hit and miss. 50-60% successful? Seems like it would read on the way in, but not on the way out. I experimented with license plate transponder zip tied to grill at DFW. Worked less often than the inside sticker. Tried the vinyl wrapped sticker on outside upper mid wind shield, but was not reading. During removing and moving sticker I may have dislodge the antenna contacts. Going to drop by NTTA tomorrow to check my sticker.

Black vinyl wrap is about $10 on Amazon for a 1 x 5 foot roll. More than enough wrap 50 stickers. Not that obtrusive. Still think this may the most consistent option.

Will post results tomorrow.

12. Stenn

Stenn Member

I got my EZ-Tag in Houston at HCTRA's Westpark service center. They recommended getting the gigantic bar-shaped tag that ordinarily mounts over the top of the license plate. I accepted it and took it straight to Tesla's Westchase service center where the mounted it under the nosecone of my car where it has been ever since. I typically spend about $100 a month on tolls in and around Houston. I've never had a mis-read, including after enabling auto-pilot.

In my opinion, you should take those flakey window stickers and stick 'em to your kid's lunchbox. Then, go get yourself a license plate tag.

13. Chris TX

Chris TX Active Member

The black bar behind the nosecone has shown to be useless at worst and iffy at best.

14. CSMidani

CSMidani Member

I have the license plate mount. Didn't know Westpark service center would mount it. Thanks for sharing! I'm heading there asap.

15. Stenn

Stenn Member

You're welcome. I had occasion recently to remove my nosecone and found that the Westchase Service Center had merely zip-tied the EZ-Tag to the metal behind the nosecone. Had I known that's all it took, I would have done it myself.

I'll be interested to hear if your installation behind the nosecone ends up being as effective as mine.

16. gizmoboy

gizmoboy Member

Does the dallas SC still have some of your black vinyl pouches?

17. snellenr

snellenr Member

Mounting locations behind the nosecone were an issue for my "Classic" Model S w/ parking sensors and a center-mounted license plate bracket. The Westchase SC offered to mount the toll tag bar when they installed the license plate but the tollbooth sensors weren't reading it -- it turns out that they'd mounted it behind the license plate!

I never figured out a better location to attach it to the bumper -- either the sensors or nose cone would interfere. I considered attaching it with double-stick on the inside surface of the nosecone, but ended up just bolting it to the bottom of the plate bracket and learned to ignore it.

18. Stenn

Stenn Member

Ahhh... That may explain why my installation works as I have no front license plate.

But then, if you have a front license plate, you might as well attach the bar to the license plate. I mean, if you're going to draw a mustache on the Mona Lisa, you might as well make it a big one. :)

19. radrays

radrays Member

Guess my other NTTA sticker was damage. Had to be removed for tinting of the windshield. Got a replacement sticker on Friday and tested out a few locations over the weekend. For some reason outside the window locations would not work for me at DFW, but may have not been pulling up close enough to the gate. About an inch down from top of windshield still allows for the transponder / orange circle of the sticker to remain in the black paint area to the right of the camera / review mirror. See picture. This location seems to be the most consistent and worked for me twice going through DFW this weekend. Have to pull up a little closer to the gate than in my other cars; about foot off the gate (past the 'stop here' sign mark). Worked at the both entrance and exit x 2 on different lanes. Just used a couple pieces of double side tape to affix to the tinted window. Assuming that if it works at the airport the sticker should be read on toll roads, but that is less of an issue with plate reading and lack of a toll tag discount now.

NTTAsmall.JPG

20. Chris TX

Chris TX Active Member

No, they ran out a while ago. I'm going to make another run of them tomorrow along with some other stuff.
    However, your car is going to be new enough to not need them. Just put it in the area to the right of the camera like other people have done. The metallic coating doesn't go over that area.