Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Type 2 BYO Cable Model3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model 3 SR 2021 model
Mostly drive around town and home charging on 15amp with mobile adaptor has been sufficient so far
Been contemplating getting a type 2 EVSE cable to allow more options when travelling outside of metro area (200-400kms and further)

Would like to hear from anyone who has found it useful or otherwise (a nice to have but rarely used)

Cheers
Max

I use mine once or twice a month for opportunity charging when I am out about town, and it gives me extra options on longer road trips as back up. There are more places with slower chargers needing BYO cables appearing, especially in public car parks near places you are likely to spend some time. I have one of the 22kW Heavy Duty cables from JetCharge. It is very well made and will last quite a while.

Where they exist is probably more in Metro areas.
In country areas a 5-pin 32A adapter for the UMC is probably more useful.
Only exception would be the Queensland Yurika Superhighway where they do have a Type 2 backup

And with more DC chargers being rolled out everywhere Id think the need will diminish.

Reactions: Vostok
Would like to hear from anyone who has found it useful or otherwise (a nice to have but rarely used)
I've had a type 2 cable for two and a half years now, and I've maybe used it half a dozen times in that period, and that's all been opportunistic charging rather than necessary charging while traveling (traveling has all been DC chargers on the road, and cabled destination chargers or mobile charger at destinations).

That said, if you're planning to travel a lot in Queensland using the QESH chargers it might be useful, since those all have uncabled backup AC chargers to use if the DC charger is unserviceable.

I did not buy a Type 2 to Type 2 cable until last week because I am driving up to QLD soon and some of the charging options up there, which will be essential for some legs of the trip, require BYO cable.

I don‘t anticipate I will use it often, but I’ll keep it in the sub-boot. I’ve never had the need for one driving in NSW or VIC given the range of tethered charging options.

I also purchased a 5-pin 32A UMC adaptor. I might never use it, but I am heading to some remote-ish places inland and if I find a 5-pin socket at any of the places I pass through I will probably take advantage.

• Informative
Reactions: Maximillan
Thank you for the info
Will check it out
I think for now the ROI doesn’t make much sense. It might change but will first venture out and see how the range anxiety pans out

If you only travel outside of metro area 200-400kms and further only occasionally, I am reliably informed that the Tesla Owners Club have a Adaptor Loan Program running where you can borrow a Type2-Type2 cable for up to 4 weeks.

Of course nothing beats having your own gear, but if you were concerned about the ROI for occasional use then worth checking out.

Reactions: Hairyman