Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Type2 & Type1 cable to Type2 socket box

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have made a adpter box to my Roadster Type2 cable

IMGP6420.JPG

The box contain only cabling no electronics

IMGP6423.JPG

The box have 3 sockets one inlet type 1 & one type 2, the outlet is a type 2 socket

P1060437.jpg

The big test is now done with a type 2 cable chagrer with 43kW
I have tested it before with 32A type 1 and it worked well

P1060438.jpg

Her's the results 231 V / 60 A charging
I charge the roadster on 1,5h from 190 to 293 idial km a avarege speed of 69 km/h
It must had better speed in the begining but i didn't check under the charging

Your device would be predominantly for European consumption I'm assuming.

In the USA we use either Tesla socket or J1772 predominantly.

European and Hong Kong standards make your device different from what we use here.

Here we have several adapters designed by hscharp that do the trick.

Best.

T

EDIT - your design allows LIVE VOLTAGE AND CURRENT to go to the unused socket. You need an off switch to that socket, or someone will get electrocuted if they touch your device in the rain, etc... I think your device is unsafe and should not be used in its current form.

Last edited:
Your device would be predominantly for European consumption I'm assuming.

In the USA we use either Tesla socket or J1772 predominantly.

European and Hong Kong standards make your device different from what we use here.

Here we have several adapters designed by hscharp that do the trick.

Best.

T

EDIT - your design allows LIVE VOLTAGE AND CURRENT to go to the unused socket. You need an off switch to that socket, or someone will get electrocuted if they touch your device in the rain, etc... I think your device is unsafe and should not be used in its current form.

I know that the adpter box is electrical conected to the un used socket but bouth of the sockets have protceting covers so you need to open them up before you will be electrocuted

I have made a adpter box to my Roadster Type2 cable

The box contain only cabling no electronics

The box have 3 sockets one inlet type 1 & one type 2, the outlet is a type 2 socket

The big test is now done with a type 2 cable chagrer with 43kW
I have tested it before with 32A type 1 and it worked well

Her's the results 231 V / 60 A charging
I charge the roadster on 1,5h from 190 to 293 idial km a avarege speed of 69 km/h
It must had better speed in the begining but i didn't check under the charging

I hesitate to post because I hate to discourage DIY projects, and I'm sure you put a lot of work into that. And I have an obvious conflict of interest because I've sold a lot Type 1 & 2 to Roadster connector cables to European Roadster owners (CE tested). I've also sold a lot of CAN JR adapters to use with your Type 2 to Type 1 32A cable.

But I have to say that m0rph is absolutely correct on both counts. There is a cover to prevent electrocution but what's to prevent my 4-year old from removing it when you're not looking? I know it's unlikely but the results would be tragic. And I don't know if that's worse than pumping 60 or 63A through a T2 to T1 cable that's rated for 32A!

Since I don't want to discourage your DIY spirit, I'm going to strongly urge you to please put a latch for a padlock on the covers of the unused sockets, and build a custom cable capable of 63A and rated for 105C.

Last edited:
I hesitate to post because I hate to discourage DIY projects, and I'm sure you put a lot of work into that. And I have an obvious conflict of interest because I've sold a lot Type 1 & 2 to Roadster connector cables to European Roadster owners (CE tested). I've also sold a lot of CAN JR adapters to use with your Type 2 to Type 1 32A cable.

But I have to say that m0rph is absolutely correct on both counts. There is a cover to prevent electrocution but what's to prevent my 4-year old from removing it when you're not looking? I know it's unlikely but the results would be tragic. And I don't know if that's worse than pumping 60 or 63A through a T2 to T1 cable that's rated for 32A!

Since I don't want to discourage your DIY spirit, I'm going to strongly urge you to please put a latch for a padlock on the covers of the unused sockets, and build a custom cable capable of 63A and rated for 105C.

Small correction hscharp...

morph is correct on 32 amp, but he never mentioned the cover.

Now I'm not an electrician or physicist or electrical professional but I see things that really concern me, and as such should be shown to a qualified electrical professional prior to your using this or any home made device(s)..

I am very concerned about a LIVE outlet with up to 70 amps and at least 220V, cover or no.

This unit has no on/off to the un-utilized port, and I believe that is a serious and life threatening flaw. I don't think you should use this unit.

In general it is NEVER a good idea to provide power to 2 ports when only 1 will be utilized.

I believe several changes are required, not limited to:

I also agree that a circuit that may see 72 amps should not be using 32 amp wires.

I suggest stout wires and fuses or circuit breakers.

I also suggest 2, rather than one box... One for Level 3 and one for Level 2 charging.

I suggest water proof well insulated and well grounded cases for any project involving high current and Voltage.

Finally, I believe your original unit is unsafe and should be disassembled and never used.

My humble suggestions.

Last edited:
Good everyone like my box

or atlest have some safety connents over it
I know the isues allready
I know 6mm2 cable are only ok acc table to 37A
I know the extra socket can be dangrus if some one open it
I know there is risk of get water in the box if it's rain even if i seal it with is done
The big problem was the extra socket that was not so easy to find a small switch that was rated to 63A or higher
I nicer sulusion was to use a autonatic switch that switch of the unused socket
But one other thing is there is no un earth protected charger in europe with will help a bit of the safety isues

The box have cabling that can handel 60A power

Hope every on enjoj this little invetion
I know that will not sell anny to annybody
But think over my ide
I will use it then i need it it took me 2 mount before i have use for it first time after build so it will not be frequnt used

Sorry for my bad english or maybe it wasn't