Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tyre Pressure on the Sunny Side

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model 3 is the first car I have had with tyre pressure monitoring. I am sitting in the sun at the moment, and the tyres in the sun are sitting 2psi higher than the shaded tyres. Is this a normal thing? Is 2psi reasonable? Pretty sure the pressures are the same sat in the garage.

My Model 3 is the first car I have had with tyre pressure monitoring. I am sitting in the sun at the moment, and the tyres in the sun are sitting 2psi higher than the shaded tyres. Is this a normal thing? Is 2psi reasonable? Pretty sure the pressures are the same sat in the garage.

Yes. Also, next time you are going for a moderately long drive, see how the pressures increase as the air inside the tyre heats up from tyre friction.

In the current weather you'll probably find your pressures will increase 4-5 PSI from 'cold' after a drive. They should then equalise (assuming you're not just doing laps around a roundabout).

If they are still at different pressures after that, you need to check the cold pressures with an accurate gauge.

Bit embarassing.. where are the tyre pressure indications on the display? Are they accurate?
If you set them to PSI they will show whole numbers i.e. 42, 43 etc. so any fractions are rounded up or down. The sensors are reasonably accurate, but I've compared the displayed pressures against a proper motorsport gauge and they can be 1-2 PSI different to actual, which isn;t really anything to get to concerned about on the road. As long as they're within 1 PSI of each other when cold you'll be OK.