Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tyre rotation for M3P

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys
Driven about 2500 miles in my white p3d. Got it at the end of march 2020. I wanted to ask if anyone has gone through with tyre rotations? If yes then did you guys get it done from Telsa or some local garage? How much does tesla charge? There is also a small puncture type hole in the rubber seal of the right back door. I was thinking of getting a mobile service man out to have a look but it is so small it seems rude to make them come all the way and have a look. I was thinking I could get it sorted during tyre rotations.

IMG_20200608_200631~2.jpg

Does anyone in this country actually do tyre rotation?

I've never routinely done it and none of my car crazy friends and family over the years have ever done it. If you see a need for it ... do it. However, the only time I've had uneven wear on a car's tyres it was indicative of something requiring attention so it's best not to potentially mask a problem by swapping the tyres around... IMHO of course!

Reactions: Cyclone1
I've never heard of doing this, or done it with any car I've owned for the past 20 odd years or more. I remember swapping the wheels from back to front on my Astra GTE, but that was because I used to wear the fronts out a lot quicker.

Maybe it would be useful on SR+ if you're constantly lighting up the rears?

• Funny
Reactions: pow216
FWIW and IMHO if your alignment is OK rotating tyres is not self-evidently a good thing.
Wear on a section of tyre would make the rest of the tread take more of the ground contact and therefore more share of the load if there's no changing around of the four tyres.
It's purely my gut feeling and I'm open to be shown real proof of the efficacy of rotation.
What I've always done is swap back and front since all cars put more wear on one set of the two.

Reactions: pow216
when I was young we always put the best set on the front of our fwd hot hatches to get the best grip. now I have heard some people advising to put the best set on the back to promote understeer rather than oversteer since oversteer is considered more dangerous.
Doubt we would have been convinced by that advice at the time

Reactions: Gatsojon and pow216
I did a tyre rotation on my SR+ at 13k miles (about Feb/March time) and my works garage did it for me for free (i have 4 pucks for them to lift it on the car bed).

The SR+ is rear wheel drive so the rears wear more than the front. I read somewhere that the AWD you dont really need too? Rear wheel drive you do a cross pattern with front to rear (Front left to rear right). AWD you swap the same side front to rear (Front left to rear left).

There was a diagram that Tesla had produced about how its done but i cannot find it now :/

Reactions: stonecoldrmw
Watch out if rotating tyres that are are dependent on rotation direction. The Tesla supplied winter Pirelli Sottozero tyres are so you must keep them on the correct side of the car.

Personally I have never proactively rotated tyres before, just replacing in pairs, as I prefer to not have the hit of replacing 4 tyres at a time. I have on occasion moved worn set to rear to allow new set to go on front, but thats the limit of rotation that we have done.

Thanks for the replies guys. So nobody in the Queens land goes about rotating tyres. However on the model 3 owners group people were exactly opposite saying we must rotate tyres. I guess it might be an American thing?

Secondly what do you guys think of that tiny hole in the rubber? Too much for mobile service to be called out to?

I wonder whether there is something in tyre rotation? I’ve got an M3P with 20” alloys/tyres, and now have 3,000 miles on the clock. I’ve been running at the recommended 41/42 PSI all round, and have noticed slightly more wear on the inner/central band of the rears compared to the fronts. I think this is down to the fact that the rear motor gets more power (60/40 compared to front), and also as I hardly brake the regen braking is more from the rear motor. I’m going to monitor but suspect a tyre rotation might be in order each year. Any thoughts?

I suppose it’s a way of delaying buying new tyres, but when you eventually do you need 4 instead of 2 ? and have potentially paid for someone to rotate them in the interim

Or, over the same elapsed time, you’ll have 4 tyres at ~6mm at the end of it rather than ~3mm and ~9mm, and can get some money back on the 4 x part-worn tyres you’re handing over rather than 2 worthless ones

Last edited:
Reactions: mrkwats
I wonder whether there is something in tyre rotation? I’ve got an M3P with 20” alloys/tyres, and now have 3,000 miles on the clock. I’ve been running at the recommended 41/42 PSI all round, and have noticed slightly more wear on the inner/central band of the rears compared to the fronts. I think this is down to the fact that the rear motor gets more power (60/40 compared to front), and also as I hardly brake the regen braking is more from the rear motor. I’m going to monitor but suspect a tyre rotation might be in order each year. Any thoughts?
Overall rotating for this reason will mean it is longer untill you buy any tyres but in the end will it make a difference to how many you buy? The same amount of rubber is being worn away whatever you do roaring wiil jus mean you need to change all 4 at once rather than back sooner fronts much later.
If the centres are wearing then the tyres are bulging in the centre and I would suggest dropping a couple of PSI whatever Tesla recommend.

I’ve often rotated tyres to get them worn at an even rate, though I do that myself. I’d rather replace all 4 at the same time for the same brand, type and batch. You can usually get better deals in 4 tyres.

IIRC the manual suggests a rotation at 10,000 miles.

Reactions: mrkwats
I’ve often rotated tyres to get them worn at an even rate, though I do that myself. I’d rather replace all 4 at the same time for the same brand, type and batch. You can usually get better deals in 4 tyres.

IIRC the manual suggests a rotation at 10,000 miles.
Of course it does its an American car but any benefits are not generally agreed upon. Especially on this side of the pond.

Reactions: Gatsojon
I do this as a matter of routine. The benefits are crystal clear. On a front heavy car in the UK the front left tyre tends to take a battering, and the front in general is doing more work since weight transfer under braking places most of the load on them. Rotating tyres tends to make the entire set wear at an even rate.

Makers, including European makers, used to put detailed directions for rotation in the owners manuals in the servicing section. I’ve seen it and followed it on everything from a mk3 cortina, a ‘79 Scirocco, and an E28 5 series, up to more recent metal such as my old Mazda 6 MPS and my last Audi. The 4WD system on those cars were particularly fussy about tyres, and only worked properly when all the tyres were at an approximately even state of wear.

Other cars I’ve owned had different sized tyres front and rear so rotation wasn’t possible. Directional tyres make only front to rear swapping possible without remounting tyres to rims, but it’s still beneficial.

The advantage of course is that for the life of the tyres the even wear means they all offer consistent and even levels of grip, slip, and general performance, maintaining the balance of the car when accelerating, cornering and braking. This is an area of chassis dynamics not often considered outside of racetracks, but it is important. Put a pair of very expensive, very sticky go faster tyres on one end of your car, and a set of budget or part works on the other and your performance will be limited to the capability of the lesser tyres. The car will be unbalanced, moving more readily to over or understeer at a reduced limit determined by the capabilities of the lesser tyres, and not only is the car less stable, but you’ll never get the benefit of that extra investment. Think of it as trying to run the 100m sprint with a the latest in featherweight Usain Bolt spec running shoes on one foot and a flip flop on the other.

Proper rotation also means all four tyres are then due for replacement at the same time, so your new tyres are matched, and you are free to opt for a completely different tyre type if someone else ever makes a better tyre than the Michelin PS4S. You get balance, and you get to enjoy the benefits of having 4, perfectly matched brand new tyres on the car again.