Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Uberturbine Aero Covers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Been looking at wheel covers since Rimetrix came out, it is wife's car and she could not get behind black rims on her White/White MYLR so finally settled on these:

TeslaRimCovers.png

Screen Shot 2023-01-21 at 6.18.57 PM.png

I finally got around to taking pictures after painting mine silver. I got mine on Amazon and there was no Gray option. Matte Black made my MSM car with black trim look too dark for my tastes.

I used Dupli-Color Silver Frost BFM0341 Spray Paint after searching that it matches other Tesla silver wheels. Note this is a metallic paint so it needs to be shaken very well (and continually shaken after a bit of application) or it will not have a consistent color/sheen.
Touch Up Paint for Model Y Gemini Wheel Rim

Was able to find two cans on clearance for $5 each at Autozone, but wasn't able to find more after visiting a few of them (the online stock status is not always correct).
https://www.autozone.com/paint-and-body/specialty-paint/p/dupli-color-silver-frost-paint/292875_0_0
Each can was barely enough for one coat on 1.5 to 2 covers, so had to order more from Amazon for $15 a can.

I chose to use Scotch Blue painters tape (standard 1.88 inch wide) to tape off the 5 flat sections between the spokes. A tip is to line up the straight edge of the tape with the straight edge on cover, use fingernail to get the curved edges to show up, and cut with Xacto knife (need steady hand to do this). Where it folds over, only one other small piece of tape is needed, again lining straight edge of tape with straight edge on cover. It was a lot of work though, so anyone trying the same may just choose to paint everything the same color. IMO, it was worth the effort to make the spokes stand out more.

Here's the progress (I taped off the center too so that center cap can stick on the cover directly instead of on paint; this was easy to do with just two pieces of tape and running fingernail to make the circle shape, didn't even need knife; bottom pictures I didn't remove the tape yet on center):
wheels.jpg

I also bought matte black center caps with the Tesla logo (wheels only came with flat caps with no logo), and masked and painted the logo silver, but it was way too much work (had to redo a couple of times, used a fine black sharpie to touch up some areas it went over a bit). If doing over, I would have probably just bought the ones with the white logo.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B5BB4ZRF

Here's the final result on car:
side.jpg

Quite happy with them, in this color it looks kind of like a mix of Uberturbine and the 19" Sport wheels (while being more "3D" than the latest version of Sport wheels, where the edges are quite flat and shape not as well defined as original version).

Last edited:
I finally got around to taking pictures after painting mine silver. I got mine on Amazon and there was no Gray option. Matte Black made my MSM car with black trim look too dark for my tastes.

I used Dupli-Color Silver Frost BFM0341 Spray Paint after searching that it matches other Tesla silver wheels. Note this is a metallic paint so it needs to be shaken very well (and continually shaken after a bit of application) or it will not have a consistent color/sheen.
Touch Up Paint for Model Y Gemini Wheel Rim

Was able to find two cans on clearance for $5 each at Autozone, but wasn't able to find more after visiting a few of them (the online stock status is not always correct).
https://www.autozone.com/paint-and-body/specialty-paint/p/dupli-color-silver-frost-paint/292875_0_0
Each can was barely enough for one coat on 1.5 to 2 covers, so had to order more from Amazon for $15 a can.

I chose to use Scotch Blue painters tape (standard 1.88 inch wide) to tape off the 5 flat sections between the spokes. A tip is to line up the straight edge of the tape with the straight edge on cover, use fingernail to get the curved edges to show up, and cut with Xacto knife (need steady hand to do this). Where it folds over, only one other small piece of tape is needed, again lining straight edge of tape with straight edge on cover. It was a lot of work though, so anyone trying the same may just choose to paint everything the same color. IMO, it was worth the effort to make the spokes stand out more.

Here's the progress (I taped off the center too so that center cap can stick on the cover directly instead of on paint; this was easy to do with just two pieces of tape and running fingernail to make the circle shape, didn't even need knife; bottom pictures I didn't remove the tape yet on center):
View attachment 901137

I also bought matte black center caps with the Tesla logo (wheels only came with flat caps with no logo), and masked and painted the logo silver, but it was way too much work (had to redo a couple of times, used a fine black sharpie to touch up some areas it went over a bit). If doing over, I would have probably just bought the ones with the white logo.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B5BB4ZRF

Here's the final result on car:
View attachment 901140

Quite happy with them, in this color it looks kind of like a mix of Uberturbine and the 19" Sport wheels (while being more "3D" than the latest version of Sport wheels, where the edges are quite flat and shape not as well defined as original version).
I like the way the wheels came out.. I am planning to do the same. did you have to sand the wheels covers?

I like the way the wheels came out.. I am planning to do the same. did you have to sand the wheels covers?
Nope, no sanding required (I presumed the matte black on the wheels are a paint layer itself, not just the bare plastic). Just wiped them clean with some alcohol, let it dry completely, and used a hair dryer to get them warm/remove moisture before painting. I should note however, the final result after painting if you feel with your hands, the surface feels rough, probably because of the metallic flakes in the paint. Visually you don't see this, but you can always apply a clearcoat on top if you won't like the texture, but it'll become glossy (I personally prefer the matte look, so I didn't apply a clear coat). The stock OEM silver wheels I believe have a glossy coat over them.

Another tip I guess is to apply thin coats and follow the instructions on the can to shake the can for enough seconds even during application. Don't try to go all at once to get complete coverage. I used some plastic sheeting I had from previous painting projects, and a piece of cardboard to put the center hub on so I can spin the wheel freely.

Last edited:
i reckon looks a bit off with black window trim. would probs look better if its the cold chrome trim.
Yes if the trim was also silver it would match the wheels better, but I'm not feeling like wrapping the trim. This is an issue also with any of the refresh cars using the silver Sport wheels.

But I still like the silver regardless. Overall car is just too dark for my tastes with the matte black covers and it seemed a bit pointless to paint it gray if I'm going to paint it anyways.

Found this thread after I removed the standard aerocover yesterday for looks. I'm a new owner on week 3 with the car.

Anyone notice more noise without any cover installed?

I was listening to talk radio instead of music and cruising at 60mph. Sounded like it was very windy.

I love the old school look of white Rotiform aerodisks but the wife hates them. Thankfully it's my car, so that means I am not allowed to buy them.

I am going to get these 18" turbine covers. I don't like the look but they cover the insane curb rash the previous owner inflicted on this car. Cheaper than new wheels, good efficiency. Sigh. I want dem aerodisks.

Found this thread after I removed the standard aerocover yesterday for looks. I'm a new owner on week 3 with the car.

Anyone notice more noise without any cover installed?

I was listening to talk radio instead of music and cruising at 60mph. Sounded like it was very windy.

I love the old school look of white Rotiform aerodisks but the wife hates them. Thankfully it's my car, so that means I am not allowed to buy them.

I am going to get these 18" turbine covers. I don't like the look but they cover the insane curb rash the previous owner inflicted on this car. Cheaper than new wheels, good efficiency. Sigh. I want dem aerodisks.
FYI, you can buy touch up paint that’s pretty much an exact match for the aero wheels (even though it’s for a Ford color). It’ll really help cover up the curb rash.

Dupli-Color AFM0360 Dark Shadow Gray Ford Exact-Match Scratch Fix All-in-1 Touch-Up Paint - 0.25 oz. https://a.co/d/8EhhgOk

matte black imho only if you have black paint AND keep your tires religiously dressed.
For everything else gunmetal gray. Also keep in mind their gunmetal looks very dark and there isnt that much difference (darker than OEM uberturbines)

I have black paint and id go gunmetal a second time even though i have dressed tires.

this is matte black with black paint.
Is that a gunmetal Tesla logo? I could only find black ones. Mind sharing where you found them?

So... I purchased a set of these just about a month ago from AliE, specifically "Autoparts Global Store" they arrived quickly and without incident. Three weeks later my wife curbs the *sugar* out of one. :rolleyes: So I order another set, exact same color, same AliE supplier, etc. They arrived without issue as well, but this time they are covered in a protective plastic wrap. Well the plastic wrap appears to be a bit too stout or is chemically incompatible as removing the plastic wrap ALSO removes the finish/coloration from the plastic. Has anyone seen this before?

IMG_0968 - Copy.jpg

IMG_0970 - Copy.jpg

IMG_0971 - Copy.jpg

IMG_0972 - Copy.jpg

IMG_0973 - Copy.jpg

IMG_0974 - Copy.jpg

Looks like there's a "new" wheel cap available in aliexpress... looks almost like the 19" sport wheel. But I don't know if it has the same effect at the uberturbine edition that extends just a bit to cover the edges of the rim and make the wheel looks bigger.

S5f9e1d50359649f28e22a997af5c7828n.jpg

Reactions: rayrevolver
Looks like there's a "new" wheel cap available in aliexpress... looks almost like the 19" sport wheel. But I don't know if it has the same effect at the uberturbine edition that extends just a bit to cover the edges of the rim and make the wheel looks bigger.

S5f9e1d50359649f28e22a997af5c7828n.jpg

I like the design of this new version and they are available in 3 colors, thanks.

I like the design of this new version and they are available in 3 colors, thanks.

I see they offer silver too. If the Uberturbine vendors offered silver, I probably would have gotten one in silver and it would have saved a lot of work painting. That sport wheel design however seems a lot more open, so I wonder if the aero would be a bit worse than the Uberturbine or the Aeros.