Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Uberturbine scuffs - avoidable or inevitable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was careless at a bank drive-through and curbed my front driver's side Uberturbine during the first week of ownership. Since then I've been mindful of the wheels while driving in tight spaces and haven't curbed anything else. But I guess all it takes is one careless slip-up.

Last edited:
If my wife is driving, scuffs on all 4 wheels guaranteed....if I'm driving no scuffs! I think if you park by curbs a lot your chances go way up so a lot depends on where you park.
I was loling at the wife for rashing two wheels. A month later I rashed one... not so funny anymore so have to lol at myself. The too narrow tires for the rim width really does not help.

Day 6 with the Razor Crest ;-(

1646762188849.png

This is my thinking. I don't generally have a problem curbing my cars, but with these wheels I'll be super paranoid. May as well cover them, and they look kinda slick anyway.
Not too bad in black....

But not a great solution, imho.

I'm extremely aware and paranoid when going through a drive-thru or parking alongside a curb. In the first 48 hours of having my MY, I was parking and felt the passenger tire ever so slightly touch the curb when I thought I had a good 6 inches of clearance. I was ticked and checked and luckily no damage, but this made me realize just how wide of a stance the MY has compared to my prior vehicles.

I was already aware of the lack of tire protection due to the design, but the tires stick out quite a bit from the visible fender that takes a little getting used to.

I've made my wife very aware of this as well, but I have to assume one of us will curb one of the MY's at some point. A simple $150 fix though, so that takes some of the edge off.

I have been driving 26 years and never ever scuffed my wheels. Yes, I am better than most people in terms of not damaging the wheels, and I grew up in NYC. =)
Why does it seem that I keep rubbing my nice black rims against the sides of sidewalks? I’ve been driving for over 50 years and don’t remember having this issue. 😱. Thank goodness for my very black marker! Why? I’ve tried to be so careful. It’s like the curb jumps right out at my wheels