Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ugh, Ordered Mud flaps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_20190710_103054158_HDR.jpg IMG_20190710_103043899.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20190710_102952907.jpg
    IMG_20190710_102952907.jpg
    491 KB · Views: 436
Reactions: kevwerks
looking for reviews on those Mud Flaps for Tesla Model 3

Those look to be the same Chinese made and shipped set that others are selling, including on ebay. The lead time is more than a month. This is probably why you (nor I) have found any reviews on these rubbery wrap-around flaps. Last post I saw reported a delivery date of late August (8/22, I think)...

And re drilling, I these are the same Chinese set, I reached out to the manufacturer directly (not the reseller) and asked that question. This was the answer I received....

"Dear Customer:

Welcome to our shop, this product comes with screws.
The installation steps are as follows:
1. First unscrew the screw in the installation position;
2. Align the fenders with the screw holes and fix them with screws (some original cars have no screw holes, need to be punched and installed);

Best regards."

If you haven't already, you might want to scan this Mud Flap thread (beware, it's over 10 pages already)...

"Group buy opportunity" for reasonably priced Mud Flaps (Model 3)

After showing my wife pics of the 2 I was considering (the eBay China/Hong Kong rubbery ones and the TSolutions group buy ones), she convinced me that the eBay ones, because they better form fitted around the fender, looked more OEM, whereas the TSolutions ones look just like a slab of cut hard plastic.

So I'm going with the eBay ones.

--Cintoman

Installation of Amazon-sourced molded mud flaps made in China

I received my flaps on Friday, 8/2/19. I selected an Amazon supplier that had them in stock and who got them to me two days after ordering. The first thing I noticed when opening the box was a strong toxic odor from the flaps - so strong that I put them outside over-night to degas. The installation was very straight forward and didn't take more than 1/2 hour to do all four, and that includes the time it took me to remove a set of flat plastic flaps. Overall, the fit and finish is fairly good. I will say that the thickness of these molded flaps is less than OEM molded flaps you can find on Honda or Subaru vehicles. Not sure how that may affect the long-term viability at this point. Attached are some picture of these flaps installed on my MSM LR AWD M3.

mf1.jpg
mf6.jpg
mf5.jpg
mf4.jpg
MF3.jpg
mf2.jpg

• Love
  • Helpful
Reactions: Cintoman and AZRI11
I purchased the TSolutions mud flaps after an extensive research on everything available or that I could reasonably make.

TSolutions was quick to respond to all of my questions and is also an actual Tesla owner.

Reactions: jebinc
I purchased the TSolutions mud flaps after an extensive research on everything available or that I could reasonably make.

TSolutions was quick to respond to all of my questions and is also an actual Tesla owner.

Agreed. Mike (Tsolutions) is a good guy, based on my interactions with him. As I mentioned in another post, I'm just trying out these molded flaps for a couple of weeks, as Mike is sending me some push pins and shorter front flaps for the front as they were damaged when bottoming them out on a parking lot speed bump. I haven't received those yet due to his backlog from the group buy (another thread). :)

I received my flaps on Friday, 8/2/19. I selected an Amazon supplier that had them in stock and who got them to me two days after ordering. The first thing I noticed when opening the box was a strong toxic odor from the flaps - so strong that I put them outside over-night to degas. The installation was very straight forward and didn't take more than 1/2 hour to do all four, and that includes the time it took me to remove a set of flat plastic flaps. Overall, the fit and finish is fairly good. I will say that the thickness of these molded flaps is less than OEM molded flaps you can find on Honda or Subaru vehicles. Not sure how that may affect the long-term viability at this point. Attached are some picture of these flaps installed on my MSM LR AWD M3.

View attachment 437320 View attachment 437321 View attachment 437322 View attachment 437323 View attachment 437324 View attachment 437325
I have just received the same exact flaps. Haven't installed them yet, perhaps when I put on the winter tires I will. I'm wondering what affect these have on the drag coefficient of the model 3.

View attachment 437320 View attachment 437321 View attachment 437322 View attachment 437323 View attachment 437324 View attachment 437325

Looks good. I see you went with the screw hole too. They feel typical thickness to OEM mudflaps I’ve bought before (VW and Jeep). These probably fit better than most and quicker to install than most.

Mine had no Oder. Maybe yours were fresher ;)

Did you already have PPF?

No 3M tape either?

How is height off the ground compared to the flat ones?

400 miles on mine now and energy impact still looks nil.

Looks good. I see you went with the screw hole too. They feel typical thickness to OEM mudflaps I’ve bought before (VW and Jeep). These probably fit better than most and quicker to install than most.

Mine had no Oder. Maybe yours were fresher ;)

Did you already have PPF?

No 3M tape either?

How is height off the ground compared to the flat ones?

400 miles on mine now and energy impact still looks nil.

I purchased a roll of 6" 3M PPF and 1/2" 3M double sided tape, and have that in the garage. Since I'm just doing a test run for two weeks, I didn't apply any PPF or tape at this point. Should I decide to stick with the molded flap design, and not the "group buy" flat flaps, I may add the additional PPF protection before Seattle fall rains arrive. Height wise, the flap flaps are lower and I have experienced "bottoming out" of the fronts when going over speed bumps. I let Tsolutions know and think they may be redesigning the fronts to be a bit shorter. :)

• Informative
Reactions: tkc9789
Hey, I just installed the Basenor Model 3 mud guards, check them out
Amazon Link: https://amzn.to/31Gx8B7

Just because someone posts a video don’t assume they know what they are doing ;)

He put the rivets in wrong !!!

It looked like his wheel well liner is in wrong (not his fault).

I also recommend drilling a pilot hole holding flap snug to body as mentioned elsewhere.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: pizzam
I installed the eBay ones on my P3D- and am very happy with the protective performance so far. However, I'm concerned about range impact.

I'm not ready to point the finger at the flaps yet, as I took off the aero caps at the same time and don't have a big dataset, but I am trying to hunt down the source of a big increase in consumption over the past week or so...

Distance / Time / Avg Speed / Max Speed / Outside Temp / Efficiency
2.64 0:12 12 mph 37 mph 69.4 F 284 Wh/mi (78.3%)
2.64 0:12 13 mph 34 mph 66.5 F 324 Wh/mi (68.7%)

Anyone else have any data before/after flaps? Would love to eliminate them as a variable.

I installed the eBay ones on my P3D- and am very happy with the protective performance so far. However, I'm concerned about range impact.

I'm not ready to point the finger at the flaps yet, as I took off the aero caps at the same time and don't have a big dataset, but I am trying to hunt down the source of a big increase in consumption over the past week or so...

Anyone else have any data before/after flaps? Would love to eliminate them as a variable.

On my LR AWD, I’ve consistently run 250 w/hr before and after flap installation. Aero covers remain installed.

Why change more than one variable, think the numbers are going to stay the same and then blame the flaps when they don’t? That’s not scientific. So put the Aeros back on and THEN do your test. Update us here.

Ski

Reactions: Brnn
Why change more than one variable, think the numbers are going to stay the same and then blame the flaps when they don’t? That’s not scientific. So put the Aeros back on and THEN do your test. Update us here.

Ski

I asked if anyone else had observed anything, thought I was pretty clear there was nothing "scientific" about my observation. That said, It has already been demonstrated that aeros have a negligible impact in city driving, and both of these drives had a max speed <40mph. A single ride is not "scientific" regardless of variables. More data points across multiple drivers and cars though.... now we are getting warmer.