Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ugh the Tesla Tax is still a thing??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most likely a flexible boring bit. Four feet is only two or three studs, depending on your definition of four feet and where you start and end. Even if its three, that means the other two are very close to the openings. As long as insulation isn't involved I wouldn't expect this to be all that difficult.

Yah. You do have to take a little leap of faith that a wire is not tacked on to a stud in your way

It is typical to use a Leviton 14-50 outlet , which runs about $15 and is suitable for things like welders that are intermittent load devices, But for an EV you need an outlet that can handle a continuous load, this requires a Bryant and Hubble outlet for around $80. The box the outlet goes in is also a but more expensive. Whether it is a Tesla or Bolt makes no difference.

So if we add in a healthy profit for the electrician, the up charge should be no more than around $150. Anything else is the Tesla tax - greed.
The Leviton is trash. It only contacts 50% of the plug blade which causes a lot of heat and can melt the outlet. The Tesla Mobile Charger adapters have heat sensors in the plug and will lower the current to reduce heat. Other "dumb" loads could melt it.

You do not need an expensive Bryant or Hubble unless you want it. The $15 Utilitech sold at Lowes has an industrial rating and will handle continuous 32A charging with little to no heat. There are several existing threads discussing this.

Those two words mean nothing. My advice is to trust the vast majority on the forms and buy the Bryant or Hubble outlet.
Nothing wrong with your advice, you don't have to believe me, even though many, myself included, have successfully used this outlet. However the words Industrial Rating are not mine, but appear in the Tesla literature for selecting a 14-50 outlet. Industrial Rating has to do with duty cycle. There is nothing in the Tesla literature regarding brand names what-so-ever. So while a Bryant or a Hubble is a fine choice, it is a choice based on the FUD principal.

Industrial Rating
This has noting to do with Tesla and why should Tesla call out a brand name for an outlet? That is the job of the electrician.

Industrial grade is a term that is greatly abused. Guess what, that $12 Leviton 14-50 is, you guested it, “Industrial Grade.” So as I said, the term is meaningless. In fact I can find no reference to a duty cycle, and the only reference I can find has to do with the outlet size. If you have a reference please provide It.

The forums are full of people who installed cheap 14-50 outlets and are sorry they did, this is far from FUD. In fact you are the only person who has posted that they found an inexpensive outlet that works which, respectfully, puts you in the mInority.

Everyone should make their own choices based on their own research.

Apparently enough people asked about this so here is a Tesla response, which is on point:

”…For this heavy use, we recommend an industrial grade NEMA 14-50 outlet, by one of these three brands: Hubbell, Bryant, or Cooper.”