Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ugh the Tesla Tax is still a thing??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

holeydonut

Supporting Member
Jun 27, 2020
East Bay NorCal
Listings
I pinged a few electricians to install a 14-50 a foot away from a load center at my MIL’s house. We just want to be able to get some mobile charging when visiting there.

First one asks - what EV is it? I said it doesn’t matter right? Just a 14-50 with #6. But he said he wouldn’t quote it unless he knew the car so I said Tesla. $500.

Second one asks - what EV is it? I said it doesn’t matter right? Just a 14-50 with #6. But he said he wouldn’t quote it unless he knew the car so I said Nissan. $250.

Sigh.

It's probably because you (and I) live in the Bay Area that we are subject to the Tesla Tax. I initially had plans to install a HPWC along with a 14-50 outlet but through a transfer switch so that only one of them had power at a time. The issue becomes: I need a GFCI breaker for the 14-50 outlet but the HPWC shouldn't have one. I've since decided that I'll forgo the 14-50 outlet and transfer switch (only wanted that outlet for a backup and in case my daughter's RV gets parked here). However, with my electricity rates as they are, $0.32/kWh and northward, I'm going to wait on installing the HPWC. I use a nearby ChargePoint DCFC station at $0.19/kWh. Off-peak rates at a Supercharger close to me is under $0.30. I'm retired and have the time it takes to add 100+ miles of range in less than an hour.

Now that's funny right thar....

OP:
I'm telling them I want to be able to weld, run a two-stage compressor, and/or do anything I want, and I want to over-engineer the wiring to future proof it.
"Firing an electric kiln" would imply a continuous use, but the electrician probably wouldn't install a GFCI outlet for it.

BTW, $250 for installing a 14-50 a foot away from the panel for an EV is a pretty good price. The GFCI will run $100-$150, the outlet(assuming its not an El Cheapo) will be $50, and the wiring/box is probably another $20.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Second one asks - what EV is it? I said it doesn’t matter right?

It is typical to use a Leviton 14-50 outlet , which runs about $15 and is suitable for things like welders that are intermittent load devices, But for an EV you need an outlet that can handle a continuous load, this requires a Bryant and Hubble outlet for around $80. The box the outlet goes in is also a but more expensive. Whether it is a Tesla or Bolt makes no difference.

So if we add in a healthy profit for the electrician, the up charge should be no more than around $150. Anything else is the Tesla tax - greed.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
You have it easy. I was quoted $2k to install the wall charger about 6' away from the panel, first from a larger electrician's company that does mostly bigger jobs, and then again from an independent guy. I called a third small company and they quoted my $500, and they came the next day. The guy joked with me that it will take 2 days to do it, but he was done in an hour.

Reactions: XPsionic
This is also just the world of construction. Call 3 people, get three different prices. Homeowners are also generally charged a premium. Some of it is warranted, some of it is not. Also, the Tesla tax in certain areas probably has more to do with type of customer a Tesla owner tends to be from a contractors experience.

I recently had mine installed within a foot of our box as well. When making the calls I said it was for welding. After they quoted and agreed I informed them that my fiancé is considering an EV and if they could check that it would support that as well. When the electrician showed up I parked my Tesla down the street a bit. $100.00. (Peoria, IL metro area)

Take a photo of your receptacle and the breaker. I'm pretty sure you tricked yourself, not the electrician

Reactions: Rocky_H and ATPMSD
I pinged a few electricians to install a 14-50 a foot away from a load center at my MIL’s house. We just want to be able to get some mobile charging when visiting there.

First one asks - what EV is it? I said it doesn’t matter right? Just a 14-50 with #6. But he said he wouldn’t quote it unless he knew the car so I said Tesla. $500.

Second one asks - what EV is it? I said it doesn’t matter right? Just a 14-50 with #6. But he said he wouldn’t quote it unless he knew the car so I said Nissan. $250.

Sigh.
Unfortunately that's not enough information because you asked two different electricians. You should have a neighbor or friend call the same electrician you asked about the Tesla, not tell the electrician that he or she knows you, and then state that he/she wants a 14-50 outlet a foot away from the load center at his/her house for a Nissan. That way, you're comparing apples to apples. With two different electricians it's comparing apples and oranges unfortunately (first electrician could have just had a lot of high priority projects).
"Firing an electric kiln" would imply a continuous use, but the electrician probably wouldn't install a GFCI outlet for it.

• A GFCI breaker is required by the the electrical code, and those run about $150.
It's not against the code to install an outlet and then change your mind about what you want to use it for. AFAIK, currently the code just says something about GFCI breakers being required for outlets installed for the purpose of charging EVs. Which is a really stupid thing to put in the code, because what they should have said is that GFCI breakers are required on all outlets used for charging EVs.

But if the code really wanted to do something about safety, it would define a new receptacle type that is recessed and have a minimum length for the plug housing such that the prongs do not make contact with the receptacle until the leading edge of the plug housing is entirely inside the recessed portion of the receptacle (thus guaranteeing that your fingers cannot be in there).