Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UI Tweak #2 -- AP Stalk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ForeverFree

Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2015
Sherman Oaks, CA
Going from four stalks to two was an improvement. Using the gear selector for AP was a master stroke; there's virtually never a time when one must use shifter and AP.

However, inability to adjust speed via stalk is a big step backward. And, using upward movement to turn off AP can lead to inadvertent shifts into neutral. (It's happened to me twice ... despite being hyper-alert to the possibility.)

Fix is simple.

Keep existing right-hand stalk.

However, use the same underlying switchgear as left-hand stalk (which allows both vertical and horizontal movement).

Adopt same AP stalk mode as Models S and X:

Horizontal to trigger/stop AP (one flap out = TACC, two flaps = AP, push in = off)

Vertical to adjust speed (first notch = 1 mph/kph, full movement = nearest 5)
Hardware cost should be minimal. Retrofit labor (for existing < 10K cars) should not be excessive.

Solves adjustment gripe.

Solves inadvertent shift gripe.

Makes transitioning S/X <---> 3 much simpler and more consistent.

I think just have the first one (horizontal stalk activate/deactivate AP) would be a huge improvement. I really don't see it happening though as I don't think they want to do any hardware swap, unless people start to have accidents because they accidentally switch to N and didn't know a 2nd down will put it back to D. I was actually practicing this on my MX yesterday. Driving on local street, put it in N, first down trigger a "ding" warning and does nothing, 2nd down put back to D. You know someday I may decide to order a M3... :D

I think just have the first one (horizontal stalk activate/deactivate AP) would be a huge improvement. I really don't see it happening though as I don't think they want to do any hardware swap, unless people start to have accidents because they accidentally switch to N and didn't know a 2nd down will put it back to D. I was actually practicing this on my MX yesterday. Driving on local street, put it in N, first down trigger a "ding" warning and does nothing, 2nd down put back to D. You know someday I may decide to order a M3... :D

Hardware part should be minimal. Keep same stalk. Use existing switchgear part from other side. Tweak software.