Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] ‘Highland’ order discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I came up with the £40k in an ISA idea a few pages back - but said "if my wife and I put £20k each in."

The point was to illustrate the value in the 0% apr deal, and show how much better it is than buying outright on day 1. If you've got the cash to buy outright, don't. Let your cash work for you instead.

if you’ve got *almost double* the cash to buy outright because you still have to make the monthly payments.

It's generally not a good idea to interfere with another persons 'man-maths' (other genders exist)

But when did that ever stop someone on the internet :)

My 2p
If you're buying the car anyway. then 0% interest on the purchase and 4%+ savings rates mean taking the finance is a good idea and sticking the cash somewhere to earn. Get's a little more complicated if its not tax free savings ie when ISA allowances are already full

If you're changing because of the 0% finance rate, then you need to add in the depreciation and running cost differences over the term. My morning coffee hasn't kicked in just yet to work out the ramifications but I guess it's along the lines of if a new car is £10k more than my current one now, but in say 3 years time the price difference as used cars was £7k, I've got to fund that extra £3k depreciation from somewhere.

• Funny
Reactions: WannabeOwner
0% APR is a unique scenario I think, as pointed out it makes sticking the capital in savings accounts a no-brainer. Under the normal run of things this calculus doesn't work.

0% APR wasn't available when I bought my M3P outright, and the Tesla of 2020 was different to the one now, end of quarter pushes weren't a thing (as far as I'm aware) and the price was the price.

I perhaps should have spent more time before ordering trying to understand the trajectory of the company, because whenever I've had a minor grumble about values cratering I've often condescendingly been told that Tesla's mission statement was always to get everyone in to EVs, therefore they were always going to crush resale values in the name of selling more cars. Had I known then what I know now, not least about FSD, etc - I would almost certainly have financed it if I had bought it at all.

I can't complain too much though because there's been plenty of people who bought at the real peaks of the prices, APRs and resale values - and had their pants pulled down big time on all three fronts.

Reactions: Temper Tantrum
I pushed the button on a non-inventory (wanted white interior) M3P on 0% to replace a 2021 LR (goes back as changing jobs), 2k down and £682 pm on 10k, happy with that, also got the red paint.

Finance took 2 hours with CA, its worth noting that the first choice is always Blackhorse who had far higher payments due to GFV.

I like the car but don't really trust Tesla not to mess with Highland, plus the wife gets a IX next week so that can be the fancy car.

There’s a M3P demo vehicle currently in inventory with 2k miles on the clock and almost £10k off list with 0% finance available. Not a bad deal even if you do have to put up with the grey exterior colour ;)

Well obviously you pay future instalments on an ongoing basis. You don't need to have that money upfront, it can be yet to be earnt.

The point remains, if you've equity in your current car, sell it and let that capital work for you whilst taking advantage of an interest free loan.
That’s all well and good but what if your current car has taken the majority of his depreciation hit already? I like your man maths but you aren’t factoring in depreciation.

I'm talking about a scenario where a buyer has decided they're going to buy a new Tesla, and am simply drawing attention to what a good deal 0% apr is. Especially in times of high inflation and elevated interest rates.

Obviously if we're talking about someone with an old banger and they're happy to run it into the ground, that's their perogative. Nothing wrong with that. That's the way I've lived the first 50 years of my life.

Model 3 Highland may have started projection in China according to Teslarati
Alternatively, it hasn’t. I find it odd that Tesla would still be taking custom orders of the old model (as opposed to inventory) if there was a new model being now made.

They may be converting one of the production lines and running the odd test car down it, but I wouldn’t call that being in production

Reactions: Durzel
Apparently this is highland, set to be announced tomorrow according to endless twitter rumours

20230831_220544.jpg
20230831_220542.jpg
20230831_220539.jpg

It's just a refresh, new front and rear bumpers but apparently a big internal change. Might not be all for the better either given the cost cutting chatter
Some of the cost cutting is from improved manufacturing like gigacasting. You won't notice that until you or someone dings it and the whole car has to be replaced. I do though support stuff like that improves quality and brings cost down.

Will have to see what else they've done and if they pass any of those cost savings on to the buyer. I suspect initially as they know there might be pent up demand for the new one they'll milk that for a bit.

Some of the cost cutting is from improved manufacturing like gigacasting. You won't notice that until you or someone dings it and the whole car has to be replaced. I do though support stuff like that improves quality and brings cost down.

Will have to see what else they've done and if they pass any of those cost savings on to the buyer. I suspect initially as they know there might be pent up demand for the new one they'll milk that for a bit.
If you're lucky. Better hope the casting doesn't crack like on this model y

This brings up an interesting point…

What good is gigacasting if it only makes manufacturing cheaper and/or easier? If it makes the car basically impossible to repair, then it’ll quickly become uninsurable, surely?

• Helpful
Reactions: Doudeau

Immediately obvious there is ambient lighting, no stalks and round wheel

UK website just says "sign up for news on latest version of model 3" at the top.

Model 3 | 特斯拉中国 has more. Two new colours (new red and silver). Suggested 443 miles range on 18" wheels. Rear screen. Ventilated seats. Only RWD or LR versions at this time. Looks like there might be a bumper camera in the top video but no mention of it. Has UWB for keys.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Durzel